Why? (Read 1096 times)

Giants Fan

is my pace tanking? I just looked back at my log a year ago, ran my 7 miler before this half I'm doing this weekend at an 8:33 pace, this morning? 9:13 pace. Why the heck am I slowing down????

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

is my pace tanking? I just looked back at my log a year ago, ran my 7 miler before this half I'm doing this weekend at an 8:33 pace, this morning? 9:13 pace. Why the heck am I slowing down????
      Probably just a one day or one run thing.......some days your pace just isnt there (maybe that was today)..... I'll bet you are OK....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Why is it sideways?

Because you are learning how to train correctly.
        Gig

I've been slowing down over the past few weeks, too. I think the Earth's gravitational pull has recently increased. I'm sure it'll get back to normal for both of us soon. (At least I hope so.)
          Slo

By a quick exam of your workouts it does appear that your pace has dropped. I'd first like to say though.....You've shown great consistancy over the last 12+ months in your weekly distance. You say you've been running since college......about 14 - 16 years but really didn't get serious until 2 years ago. Generally speaking, someone in thier 30's or 40's who has just taken up running could expect to see improvements over the next 6 years. What was your volume prior ti getting "serious" ? Your at the age where you are going to start slowing a bit.......but not as much as your workouts show. Has your diet changed, stress, all that other life stuff.......those are all factors too. Sometimes we just fall into a rut and need a little different stimulus to help break out of it. Sometimes all we need to do is exam our logs and realize...."Damn, I've been slacking". Sorry I have no answers for your.....just a few points to ponder. MTA:....Or what Jeff said.......damn him Wink

A Saucy Wench

+1 You were running a lot of your easy runs too fast last year

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1 You were running a lot of your easy runs too fast last year
                That is my guess, too. I am running nearly the same pace I did a year ago...but putting in more miles and my "easy" and long runs leave me feeling a lot less beaten-up than they did a year ago. Switching from listening to mostly music to mostly spoken word podcasts and audiobooks has helped with this...I no longer feel obligated to match the pace of the music, instead I zone out and enjoy whatever story I am listening to. I save music for faster runs and treadmills runs--when I want to run fast to get it over with.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Well, you are making me feel a little better. (I'm freaking slow, but I'm feeling better about it???) Just been frustrating. I'm trying to watch my eating (so I'm eating healthy and enough) and then I feel ilke I'm working hard, or right at pace, then I look down...slow! Ugh! I am hoping slowness doesn't carry over to race day Sunday. Would it have anything to do with earlier in the year dealing with my achilles rehab?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If it makes you feel any better, you are still rocket-fast to me. Smile But maybe it is related to the injury. I think running slower and remaining uninjured is better than pushing things and ending up on the bench, again. At least that's my take.

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Your training paces aren't factored into your race times so don't worry about it. My average training pace is about a minute slower than it was a couple of years ago but my race times have gone down. Good luck Sunday. You never know, you just might surprise yourself.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Hey midwest runner, I train on my easy days at about 60-90 seconds slower than marathon pace. You, on your easy days, are training at your marathon pace. So, if anything you are running too fast... Good luck!

Giants Fan

Thanks everyone! I wonder too if it has anything to do with how much biking I've added in lately. (just haven't bothered to log it). We shall see what sunday brings. Hopefully a good one, todays run was crappy, no real reason, just crappy. BUT have to get one of those before a race don't we??? Should be mine for the week! Will let you all know how it goes, hoping I can beat my time from last year....still bitter I'm not running the full....Sad

Charles Schulz

Hey midwest runner, I train on my easy days at about 60-90 seconds slower than marathon pace. You, on your easy days, are training at your marathon pace. So, if anything you are running too fast...
                            +1 I used to train at marathon pace at minimal miles. When I added more miles, I slowed down my training pace and got MUCH faster. Keep a positive attitude going into your race. If you think you're gonna suck, you're gonna suck. Go out there knowing you're a hardcore runner who's gonna bring it and enjoy the race.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1 I used to train at marathon pace at minimal miles. When I added more miles, I slowed down my training pace and got MUCH faster.
                              I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is my experience as well. My training pace is really no different this time around, but it feels easier and I'm logging more miles (mostly due to not being injured this time). I'm hoping to maintain ~10mm or faster. First time around I was generally seeing about 10:20 at each mile marker and didn't feel at all like I was pushing it. Then, whammo, the cramps set in. This time I have had no cramping issues in training (I had them last time around toward the end of all of my longer runs, but this time I'm using Gatorade Endurance, instead of the regular stuff). I'm also making sure that I'm getting enough iron (which I think I wasn't...kinda common in runners and in women--and especially women runners).

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Huh?

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'