Race shirt question redux (Read 1017 times)

My legs are killing me

The robot post an interesting question but why promote her site. So here it is. It has always puzzled me to see people wear their new race shirt in the race. Maybe I just like to be different and not wear what everyone else it wearing (unless I am racing for a team). I like to "save" my shirt to wear after the race. What do you think? Do you wear your race shirt in the race or not? I personally think you should at least complete a race before you wear the shirt. It's kind of like earning your stripes.

flatland mountaineer

I think of running the race as earning the right to wear it and I like to wear it after and around after to support and promote the race and commitee. I was given a race shirt for a small race after helping out while injured and will probably wear the shirt even though I didn't run the race. MTA good idea Sully on the redux!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I wear it only after the race. I also only get either a.) Free race shirts, or b.) Important races to me. I haven't bought any local race shirts because I haven't really ever seen any that looked like they hadn't been drawn by my three year old niece. Anyways, I don't feel like getting my shirt nasty, sweaty, and all stretched out to where I can't wear it and draw attention to myself because I ran a marathon or something. If I wore it on race day and then tried it people would stare at me because of my shirt with yellow stains on it with the neck hanging down to my toes. And that's just not cool.
        Jill_B

I fly.

I never wear the shirt until after I've run the race. 2 times, however, I had to carry the shirt during the race because I didn't register until too close to the start to throw the shirt in my car. That's not really enjoyable.

Bring it on.

I wore a short sleeve tech T for the 1/2 I just ran---I picked up my packet the day before the race and washed the shirt that night. Since it was warm for the race (despite being in Nov)-the shirt was perfect! It's just a shirt to me-might as well wear it!
            2 times, however, I had to carry the shirt during the race because I didn't register until too close to the start to throw the shirt in my car. That's not really enjoyable.
            I have done this too! Not fun!
              You know, I've never even considered weariing my race t on race day..... Mainly because I determine about a week in advance what shirt, shoes, sox and running shorts that i am going to wear on race day and I never change anything on race day.....(said like im some kind of a pro or great runner --- moslty Im just a race day intense 'middle of the packer').... i see people wearing them in the race and always figured they were brand newbys.....or just didnt know better..... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching

I don't wear the race shirt during the race, but only for a practical reason: most race shirts are cotton, and I don't want to wear cotton during a race. Plus I succumb to the same superstition most runners do and refuse to try something new on race day. I have no problem with people wearing the shirt in the race if that's what they want to do. It's pretty low on my list of "things other people do that I disapprove of." Smile
                  I've worn a technical race shirt for the same race I was racing in once.

Vim

xor

Is bad mojo to wear the race shirt during the actual race. If you believe in such things as 'mojo'. Austin Powers did. So does Odessa Permian (that's a nod to my west texas friends). It kind of screams 'newbie' to do this as well... even though lots of folks who do it aren't really new. Maybe they are just flaunting their anti-mojo. I believe in mojo. And karma. And here's hoping that karma applies to robots. And I totally agree with this:
                    I have no problem with people wearing the shirt in the race if that's what they want to do. It's pretty low on my list of "things other people do that I disapprove of."
                    I got loogied on at a race recently because the gal didn't look where she was about to spit. Way worse.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got loogied on at a race recently because the gal didn't look where she was about to spit. Way worse.
                      My best friend (backroadrunner) loogied on me a half mile from the finish during a race last March. So I soundly kicked her whippersnapper ass. It helps to have a sprinter past. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Flat footer

Only after the race. You must earn the right. I see people wearing the shirt in the race they just look clueless IMO....

jfa

Gotta earn it

I wear mine only after, on the basis that only then have I earned it. Others may feel they earned it when they pony up the entry fee; I stopped caring what others do. I did suggest to a new runner not to wear shirts prerace though. My bigger beef is races running out of size when they effin ask you ahead of time your size. All that was left at NYC marathon Sat early afternoon was L and XL. WTF? How many people of size run marathons?
                              Ok, well I've only gotten two whole race shirts, but on the advice from yinz guys, I definitely did not wear them in the races on the horrible pain of looking like a n00b. Shocked
                                I target these people and try to pass them all. I also target the women with "girly strides" (like a shark sensing the flailing loser-fish), but that's another deal altogether.