Question about getting faster (Read 966 times)

I just started running in June, and I had never ran a mile in my life before that so I am very new to this whole running thing. Please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question. Embarrassed So far, I have just been working on endurance, but I ran with a group on Saturday and was sort of annoyed because of my speed. Today I decided to try to run faster for one mile. I didn't go all out and actually had an encounter with a dog mid-mile but my one mile time was roughly 8:30. On longer runs, my miles are typically in the 10:30-12:00 range. How do I start building up endurance to keep that 8:30 time for longer than one mile. I was pretty spent after just that one mile, but my breathing was not that erratic. I did a 1.5 mile recovery after that but was back to averaging 11 minute miles. It is like I only have one gear or something. I really want to be faster so any help is appreciated.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Someone posted this advice, and it's very helpful: To run faster, you need to run more. To run more, you need to run slower. So run lots of miles, slowly, and your pace will automatically increase. Mine was, until I got injured, at least! I'm sure you'll get lots of other good responses, also.
      Scout7

You do it by running more miles, and being patient.
          Running faster is easy, getting faster is hard. To run faster, put yourself in dangerous positions. Coat yourself in honey and provoke large bears. You will run faster. To get faster, run lots and lots of miles. It's a boring answer that no one wants to hear.
          2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

The Greatest of All Time

Werd.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Prince of Fatness

There's no getting around this. I see that you recently got a 10 mile long run in. You get to the point where you are doing those consistently and you're race times will improve. Just give it time.

Not at it at all. 

They are all pretty much saying it...... Big grin Its not sexy and it's not much fun to talk to friends about, but up front and 'in the beginning' you just log miles and get your base up (You'll get faster naturally)...........Eventually you'll get your mileage up to a reasonable level and get a year or so under your belt.....Then ask this question again -- and at that point in time -- people might start talking about interval training and other such things.........but right now you are doing what you need to be doing..... In English teacher terms -- you have a person that has just started learning to read...they are an adult - age 35 or so - and have never read one word in all their life.....but decided to learn to read.....now they have learned the basics and can read some some lower level basic books......they think it would be a great idea to read English Literature.....and they run across you and ask you how they can read English Lit and understand it..........cause they really want to be a good reader......... You would tell them to stick to their basic and keep doing what they are doing.....and think about English Lit after they have built a stronger reading base - maybe in a year or so they will be ready....... Its the same thing...............

Champions are made when no one is watching

Guys, I just have to ask this, as I have been seeing it all over the place in these forums. Please keep in mind that I am not trying to stir up an argument, nor am I trying to imply that others don`t know what they are talking about. Anyway, a lot of replies are being given, especially to new runners, concerning getting faster. The general consensus of opinion seems to be that one needs to run slow to get faster. Now, I have been running a long time, and I will be the first to say that I am NOT an expert on the matter. But if that were true, the local college and high schoolers wouldn`t be out on the track doing intervals until they vomit. The coach would just tell them to "go easy". For several years I ran slow and long, and never could turn in a 5K time much under 7:50-8:00 pace. I will say that I didn`t really know how to push myself or "run through the pain" as some say. But after starting to incorporate a "quality" session at least weekly, that being intervals at faster than desired race pace, or tempo runs which were taken from Mcmillan based on desired race time, my 5-K time got down to mid 20`s from otherwise 23 and 24:00 times. Of course that takes time, and I agree that one does need to build a decent base before implementing any kind of speedwork. This is strictly my .02 on the matter. Please don`t anyone think that I am trying to be a know it all, an don`t base my experience on my log. I just started it again after losing several years worth of data from "Cool Running", (VERY frustrating). I am having to log lots of slow easy miles right now from hamstring issues which I narrowed down to the shoes I was wearing. I have gotten a lot of good information from this board, from a lot of very knowlegeable athletes. This was just something that I had to bring up.
                  "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
                  mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

JKW, you're right about many coaches pushing speedwork during race season to get faster (intervals, tempos, etc), but if I'm not mistaken these coaches also give instructions / training schedules for their runners to put in many miles in the preseason / offseason to build up their base. They expect that their runners show up on day one of racing season with that solid base complete, and then begin to work on getting them faster. The guys who don't prepare in the offseason are the ones who don't benefit as much from the speedwork, or end up injured befroe the season ends.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(Before I saw mgerwn's response) Some of those HS kids may be doing base running in the summer before the season starts. Heck, a few of them might even be running most of the year (esp if they're on track).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, my son's high school team doesn't do intervals on the track every day until they vomit. They do LOTS of "easy" miles (a comparative term, of course, which means between 6:30 and 7:00 pace for the varsity boys), and then one or two speed workouts a week. Their total mileage is about 50-60 miles per week. They're currently the top-ranked team in Maine, too, so they're doing something right. Keep in mind that we're talking about relative new runners (such as myself) who are starting out slowly, and not even up to 25 miles per week - like in Soonergal's case. We DO need to build up our miles. I thought John's English teacher analogy was good. We're all in different places, and I've noticed that people on RA are good about tailoring their answers with that in mind - that's why viewing people's logs is so important. Smile
                          They are all pretty much saying it...... Big grin Its not sexy and it's not much fun to talk to friends about, but up front and 'in the beginning' you just log miles and get your base up (You'll get faster naturally)...........Eventually you'll get your mileage up to a reasonable level and get a year or so under your belt.....Then ask this question again -- and at that point in time -- people might start talking about interval training and other such things.........but right now you are doing what you need to be doing..... In English teacher terms -- you have a person that has just started learning to read...they are an adult - age 35 or so - and have never read one word in all their life.....but decided to learn to read.....now they have learned the basics and can read some some lower level basic books......they think it would be a great idea to read English Literature.....and they run across you and ask you how they can read English Lit and understand it..........cause they really want to be a good reader......... You would tell them to stick to their basic and keep doing what they are doing.....and think about English Lit after they have built a stronger reading base - maybe in a year or so they will be ready....... Its the same thing...............
                          You are totally speaking my language! I guess I need to quit being so impatient. Thanks for the information.

Prince of Fatness

I'm not expert, but I'll take a stab at it. The more experienced runners here can correct me if I'm wrong. Running lots of miles doesn't make you faster. What it does is allow you to hold the speed you have for a longer period of time. I bet I had more raw speed 10 years ago than I do now. But I never ran the mileage I do now, so now I can hold the speed longer, hence several PRs this year at age 45. This is why folks here tell the new runners to run miles. That's really where the bang for the buck is, at least initially. You may reach a point where you want to work on your raw speed, but that's after you've built a decent base. Running faster doesn't do much for you unless you can do it for the whole race. Hope that makes sense.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks for all of the information guys. I really appreciate it. I am sort of relieved that I can just focus on distance for now. I love long, easy runs. If I had to do that speed thing everyday, I would probably quit after a week. I really want to be faster, but for now I will continue to build my base before I focus on that. It is just hard because it seems the minute someone knows I am working to be a runner, they want to know my mile time. I need to come up with a quick witted stock answer to avoid answering with the horrid truth.
                                They do LOTS of "easy" miles (a comparative term, of course, which means between 6:30 and 7:00 pace for the varsity boys), Holy Mother. I would be ecstatic if my asthmatic tempo was that fast. Ahhhh...to be young again...