Womens running shorts (Read 2101 times)

ErinInTx

Ok, here goes....How do you prevent running shorts from bunching up in the front of the crotch? (sorry but I couldnt think of any better or a tactful way to describe the area!)

I usually wear the nylon type shorts with the built-in underwear or a little longer basketball type shorts without the liner. Regardless of whether I'm walking or running, they keep doing it and I either look like an idiot trying to pull them down while I'm running or look like an idiot with bunched up shorts! I dont know if its the style or maybe I'm wearing the wrong size, but in every other way they seem to fit great. I have been told and am in no denial about the fact that I've got "birthing hips" and "thunder thighs" to go along with them (thanks to rediculously honest friends and the genes from my mom)  but this is really annoying. is it just me? Should I just use this as more incentive to lose the weight from my lower half?

Thanks!

it's not just you. I have the same problem. Usually i wear a running skirt but the built in shorts underneath often bunch up but I don't worry about it too much b/c the skirt is hiding that (i hope). I bought a pair of shorts recently and have worn them for a couple of runs. They bunch up. I try to ignore it.
      DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Your choices are:

A. Get a running skirt like this

B. Buy longer shorts like these

This is what has worked for me. The shorts are little gangsta looking on me since they are long and I am short...but they don't get wedged in my crotch! Woohoo!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

TammyinGP

I have the same issue with a couple pairs of my shorts. My Nike Tempo track shorts don't have this problem though: Tempo Track Shorts

And running skirts are a good option also  (I like the ones with compression shorts underneath). And if you are heavier through the thighs, then I think skirts are very flattering.

Tammy

Like Sweeter, I've started running mostly in skirts, but I still have "bunching" issues.  The skirt at least hides it, but it's not comfortable.  Has anyone ever seen a running skirt with a compression short underneath that has the no-slip stuff around the legs?  I mean the little squiggly line of something rubbery, like you find around the legs of bike shorts?  I've looked at about a dozen different skirts, and none have had this.

Jennie

Silver Falls Half Marathon 11/3/2019 Goals:

1. Don't fall.

2. Finish.

3. See #1 and #2.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Like Sweeter, I've started running mostly in skirts, but I still have "bunching" issues.  The skirt at least hides it, but it's not comfortable.  Has anyone ever seen a running skirt with a compression short underneath that has the no-slip stuff around the legs?  I mean the little squiggly line of something rubbery, like you find around the legs of bike shorts?  I've looked at about a dozen different skirts, and none have had this.

I have some Pearl Izumi compression shorts that have this...and I LOVE them.  Unfortunately it appears that their 2010 version of the shorts no longer has the grippers, which I am tempted to beg to ask them to return to the shorts for '11.  Those grippers are the only thing that separate them from every other compression short that rides up.

I have found that skirts with briefs and Body Glide or Sport Shield (which I prefer) applied to the trouble areas works WAY better than trying to find compression shorts that stay put.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have some Pearl Izumi compression shorts that have this...and I LOVE them.  Unfortunately it appears that their 2010 version of the shorts no longer has the grippers, which I am tempted to beg to ask them to return to the shorts for '11.  Those grippers are the only thing that separate them from every other compression short that rides up.

Places like Holabird Sports (and maybe Eastbay?) have older stock and may have those 2009-era skirts.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Places like Holabird Sports (and maybe Eastbay?) have older stock and may have those 2009-era skirts.

I actually found a pair not long ago at 6pm.com (they're actually shorts, but they'd probably work well under a tennis skirt or running skirt that doesn't have built-in bottoms).  TeamEstrogen.com still has them in the old style, too.  Another plus is they have a big zip pocket on the back.

~ Sarah Kay

This skirt from Patagonia has the silicone grippers in the short.

Can't get the link to work - go to Team Estrogen - it's the Patagonia multi-use skirt

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

under a rock

Ok, here goes....How do you prevent running shorts from bunching up in the front of the crotch? (sorry but I couldnt think of any better or a tactful way to describe the area!)

I call this my thighs eating my shorts, not cool at all. Like many others I now only run in skirts from runningskirts.com. I like the kind with the brief instead of the compression short. I won't run in any other skirt than their's and I sure won't be wearing shorts ever again.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can't get the link to work - go to Team Estrogen - it's the Patagonia multi-use skirt

That is nice looking and definitely a GOOD idea, but with only a 3" inseam I'm guessing most of us thunder thigh gals would still need to lube that inner-thigh area.  My compression shorts have a 6" inseam and I STILL use a bit of Sport Shield for an inch or two below the short bottom.  Partly to prevent rubbing of the bottoms of the shorts against the opposite thigh.  Skin against skin is still comfier than fabric against skin.

~ Sarah Kay

she runs like a girl

but with only a 3" inseam I'm guessing most of us thunder thigh gals would still need to lube that inner-thigh area.  My compression shorts have a 6" inseam and I STILL use a bit of Sport Shield for an inch or two below the short bottom.  

Any girl would have to! I have toothpick legs and I can work up a pretty large chafed area if I'm not careful and I race in shorts that have a 2inch inseam. They usually turn into underwear half way through the race but I like that 2 extra inches of dignity while it lasts.

Perhaps I will get a skirt as well. With the runningskirts.com if anyone has purchased from there, does the sizing run true to size?

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

With the runningskirts.com if anyone has purchased from there, does the sizing run true to size?

They have their own weird sizing system, though I would say that their conversion chart (I think it's something like 1 = 0-2, 2 = 4-6, 3 = 8-10, etc.) is fairly accurate.  Over the years some gals have had issues with skirts not running consistently from year to year, but mine have all fit pretty much the same.  I had more issues with Skirt Sports sizing and never found them to fit me right.

~ Sarah Kay

They have their own weird sizing system, though I would say that their conversion chart (I think it's something like 1 = 0-2, 2 = 4-6, 3 = 8-10, etc.) is fairly accurate.  Over the years some gals have had issues with skirts not running consistently from year to year, but mine have all fit pretty much the same.  I had more issues with Skirt Sports sizing and never found them to fit me right.

I generally wear a 4 or 6 and bout the 2 in their skirt.  It's too small.  And it was on sale, so not returnable.

Jennie

1. Don't fall.

2. Finish.

3. See #1 and #2.

You've made my day!!!  Now if I can just find somebody at DH's work who wears my size and has a Patagonia pro-deal...

Jennie

1. Don't fall.

2. Finish.

3. See #1 and #2.