I'm so frustrated right now. (Read 1448 times)

Double IPA Please!

There is variation there, your right. Going back and looking at my log it seems that my times on my runs can fluctuate from a minute down to 20 seconds or there about. I just go out and run, I know in my head while I am running I am always..always thinking about my time. I never used to look at my watch but then the week before my 10mile race I started looking at my watch during my runs just to see where I was at what point. Prior to that I would just run and then look at my time when I stopped to cool down. All this thinking is nuts.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Double IPA Please!

I agree. But I am biased. I don't believe in low HR training. It never worked for me. Made me slower. I don't believe in using McMillan or any other person/guru to predict how fast or slow I should run. I just run. Fast if I feel good, slow if not. I don't train in HR zones either. My paces vary in any week from day to day, run to run. I do wear a HRM religiously but only as a feedback mechanism so I can objectively tell how hard I am working because going 100% on feel can sometimes be misleading. My HRM is most valuable when I need to back off and have a higher than normal HR at a given pace. For that purpose alone, I will wear it. You're correct, in that you should vary paces but it will happen naturally if you let it. But don't listen to me. I never read "the book". What's my point? Listen to your body and go with how your legs feel. You need to finish some runs pretty winded if you hope to race faster. Train fast, race fast. Simple. But don't overdo it. You HAVE to incorporate easy days or complete days off. If you're not feeling somewhat tired after a tempo run, it wasn't a tempo run.
      and this is good information. This is all stuff I have in the back of my head, but it helps to hear someone else say it out loud. I dont always feel tired after a tempo run and perhaps Im not workin' it hard enough, that was another thought- perhaps these are my easy runs and my hards are just not hard enough. Bottom line is I will wear my hrm a bit longer just for my own curiosity and then take it from there. Thanks for all the advice, it helps me put stuff in perspective.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

The Greatest of All Time

Keep doing it that way... Just glanced at your log. You're correct in that your pace is all over the place. This can be good as long as there is some structure to it. If you really want to focus some on a quick pace try this... Find an out and back course where you know the mile markers. Give yourself a maximum amount of time, say 40 minutes for example. Run out for 21 minutes, turn around and try to get home in 19 minutes. Each couple of weeks you should make it farther in distance before you have to turn around. Two things are happening. Your pace is getting faster and you're running farther distances at that pace. Good. Good. Good. And you're also (hopefully) negative splitting that run. Also Good. Good. Good. If it takes you longer to get home than it did going out, you went out too hard and should note it for the next run. Always try to finish strong. Training like this will pay off in races. Trust me.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Hawt and sexy

If you want to use a HRM, you need to know how to use it and you are currently not using it to your advantage. If you don't want to use the HRM, then get rid of it, but be prepared to fully understand what your body is telling you. There are your choices. Now pick one and stick with it for at least 6 months. That should give you plenty of time to deal with your path and understand what you are getting yourself into. If you choose one and get injured while running, post it up and peeps will be here to help.

I'm touching your pants.

skinnycaponesugar

Thanks Chickadee, I will look at those articles later on tonight. So you said on your way back on your run you were able to run at your normal pace and keep your hr where it should be without having to stop and walk?
            I turned the alarm off and ran at my usual pace, I checked my HR and it varied between 140 and 150. At that point I was doing what I normally do, which does not include walking or stopping. It wasn't until I read the article that I found the formula that puts me at 144. But I'd have to agree with the comments abut how subjective "formulas" can be when applied to humans Smile I'll continue to wear my HRM to keep a record of what I currently consider my natural, easy pace. In theory, after a few months my pace will get faster at the same HR...hey, I'll comment when I get there...

Love, Run, Sleep

skinnycaponesugar

If you want to use a HRM, you need to know how to use it and you are currently not using it to your advantage.
              Care to elaborate on how to take full advantage of the HRM option? Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

C-R

Go to the Low Heart Rate forum in the user groups and you can learn all you need to know about Heart Rate training. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I don't want to start a Low-HR-training-stinks debate, but please remember that the label means many things to many people, which is why I directed you to the user group. At the one extreme, there are people who train exclusively under a particular threshold. For others (most), it's a method of learning to run easily and intelligently. The label begets more debate than it deserves. It's fairly mainstream as a concept. If, on the other hand, you just wanted people to tell you you're fine and just keep doing what you're doing then keep doing what you're doing. Everything's great. Echo echo echo echo

Double IPA Please!

No, of course I was not looking for people to tell me what I was doing was fine. I realize that no 2 runners advice is always going to be the same. This is why I ask my questions here. I take something away from all advice given to me and then apply to the areas that I think I can use them. Continuing to keep doing what I am doing is not going to get me where I want to be, this is why I asked the question. Do I think I could benefit from lhrt sure, so from there I learn what I can and try to fit it into my routine, but the issue with me has been going over kill one way or the other and I am trying to find that happy medium within my myself so I could be happy with my running times and even happier with my race times. I certainly appreciate any and all comments that come my way. The only reason why what Marcus said to me struck a chord was because I realized I was getting to obssesive about it and I needed to take a step back. The bottom line is that I will use my hrm for a bit to find my training zones because it seems without it Im too much of a knuckle head to slow down to what is easy and also to know that I'm doing my speed workouts as fast as I should.

Hawt and sexy

Care to elaborate on how to take full advantage of the HRM option? Smile
                      You have to do your own research and find a method that you are willing to try. The LHR trainers here have a few methods outlined. Then you can also go to the local Borders or B&N and find all sorts of books on the subject. It was widely known at CR that I am one of the evil LHR trainers, so it might as well be known here. When it comes down to it, you just find a method you want to try and you stick with it to see if it works out for you. Some methods are not even LHR methods. Pfitz has a very aggressive plan for HRM use. I do believe that if you buy a HRM you might as well use it to further your training. If you don't want to use it, eBay it.

I'm touching your pants.

Double IPA Please!

I found that my resting heart rate is 60-62 give or take as I have taken it in the morning upon waking (wore my monitor to bed and then opened my eyes to look at it without having to move). If I plug in my numbers here:http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/hr.cgi it gives me my max at about 193 which sounds about correct ( I knew that 157 or even 160 was NOT my max) so using my hrm my midpoint is 146 which for whatever reason was much easier to keep it there today than yesterday( even though it does require me to slow up a bit- not too much but still..it also helps me control my runs uphill a little bit)- perhaps yesterday was just a bad run for me and it was warm/humid which factors into my numbers as well. My Polar only gives me ranges from 127-157 (max) so I only use that as a gauge,but If I hit a button it gives me what my actual rate is at any given time. I did hit 174 at one point but that was going up a very graded hill in my last mile but I quickly recovered once I peaked and came down. So all in all, I think I am okay as long as I just pay attention and learn to feel and listen to what the ol' body is telling me. I think I just had a bad day all together yesterday, my run was sucko and my mood was el' sucko as well- just ask my family Tongue

Hawt and sexy

Fond and old link. They moved it but it's still there. http://www.teamoregon.com/publication/online/wizard.php

I'm touching your pants.

skinnycaponesugar

Denise, I have a Polar as well. You get to set your zone before every workout if you want. For me, it is a matter of getting used to the thing and what the readings mean and how I can use it to help me and not the other way around. Good luck and keep us posted Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

I always assumed those where my slow easy runs, but if you look at my race time my pace is not that much different than my presumed easy runs...
                              Hmmm. Well, you could try running "easier" for some runs and see how that works. The pace might seem too slow at first, but don't worry about it. FWIW, your "easy" runs on your log are run at a pace definitely faster than my easy runs. Yet your recent 5K race pace is a minute/mile slower than my 4-mile race pace a bit ago (and that was with only 2 hours sleep in the previous 32 hours, during which I ran 2 other relay legs...) FWIW #2, my 4-mile race pace there is 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per mile faster than my easy runs, and that "race HR" was about 30 bpm higher than the "easy run HR". FWIW #3, The teamoregon pace wizard calculator that willamona mentioned is like a lot of other formulas, etc, in that it works for some and not for others. Hint: don't put in a run at "easy" pace into the "Recent Run or Race (Optional)" data entry. When I did that, the results came out all screwed up. Even for the more reasonable results, they had easy runs for me at a higher HR and a pace a minute per mile slower than my easy runs are currently (and I'm not in shape yet...what's up with that). Who knows... There are also some other indicators that some folks use to verify that the pace is easy. One is just breathing only through the nose when running easy (I do that, and could go faster and still not breathe through the mouth.) Another is to note how many steps you take in one respiration cycle. My cadence (easy) is not as high as the purists say it should be, but I still get 7-8 steps per breath. I like to use 7 because it's an odd number and you aren't always breathing in when the same foot strikes the ground (do they say runners are superstitious?) Take it easy...
                              easytarget

The thing Is I never really felt burned out after my runs and always felt good and never felt like I was gasping for air while running those runs so I always assumed those where my slow easy runs, but if you look at my race time my pace is not that much different than my presumed easy runs. kwim?
                                The answer is in the above statement. HR training, all effective training for that matter, is stress and adaption. Hard/Easy. You've fallen into a common training trap, you're running at or below GA (general aerobic) on every run. Simple solution: run your hard days hard, your easy days will then feel the way they're supposed to, a relief that you're allowing yourself to knock them out slowly as you do what those days are in the schedule for, recovery from either long and/or hard days.