The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

#artbydmcbride

I love my green 2011 Boston jacket!  Did someone say the logo is messed up?  

Other than those who have run Boston, no one seems to recognize that it is a special jacket at all when I wear it.    Once in a while someone will smile and say Hey, nice jacket.  And those around will look confused, until someone points out "its a Boston marathon jacket!'

I also bought the hat, and the same deal...folks ask 'where did you get that hat?'  I guess because it is bright green (?)  and I tell them 'i got it at Boston'  and they just go, "Oh? cool."

So when I strut around all cool and prickish (Nemo ME)  Big grin  mostly no one knows what a big deal I am anyway, even with the jacket on.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Shall we revive the 26.2 bumper sticker discussion?

xor

leney you ARE a big deal.  Regardless of clothing status.

Wait.

That sounds wrong.

No Talent Drips

I am officially blocking this hat trick by asking whether I am allowed to buy a Boston Marathon hat without being a douche.

You are allowed to buy (and wear) what you like. The rest is up to you. I want a vodka popsicle.

and I'm clearly bad at message board humor.

Oh, and I do own one. I just don't wear it to other marathons...I take it all back people. I'm a weak minded Mainetuckian. Wear your Boston Marathon jacket to other marathons. Please.

Dei Gratia

My wife wanted to move the decimal point, to the left, two places. I laughed...

ultramarathon/triathlete

Prior to this thread, I didn't know anyone (runners, that is) who thinks wearing the Boston jacket is douche.  News to me.

For the many many years of my competitive racing before I ran Boston (thus did not have a jacket, yet), I only ever heard people saying "one day, I'll have one of those jackets" and meaning it... not in a sarcastic way. 

Maybe it's a secret/select uber-group that gets together to scoff at the Boston-wearing clan.

I've  worn my Boston jacket to other races (depending on the weather).  How else are people to know to fear me?  Joking

I get that not everyone would want a jacket, that goes for just about anything, but I think they're cool.   I wonder if people think championship rings are douche, or high school varsity jackets.  It shows you worked hard for something, and achieved it.  That's not douche.  Wearing the jacket and scoffing those who aren't as fast would be douche.  But sporting because you ran Boston = not douche. 

I don't run in mine, or in any jacket.  Too constricting.  But it's a good pre-race/weekend jacket. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

BostonRnr

I bought the Boston jacket in 2010 but kept it in a drawer and didn't wear it until after the marathon. I wore it to other marathon/race expos, although I started to feel a little pretentious. I joked about being buried in that jacket, but I recently lost it Sad

#artbydmcbride

leney you ARE a big deal.  Regardless of clothing status.

Wait.

That sounds wrong.

Big grin

Runners run

xor

So can I buy Boston Marathon douche?

Kalsarikännit

I had no intention of buying a jacket at the expo in 2010, but I bought one.  Not the jacket that can be seen from 2 miles away.   All black, with zip-off sleeves, and a small logo on the chest.  I had lost my running jacket two months prior, and had been wanting to get a running vest, plus it was a nice fitting, attractive jacket.  I recommend it.  Water beads nicely on it.  I'm sure I could have bought the jacket online without the logo, but I was there, the jacket was there...why not?  I don't mind having the logo.  I had a lot of fun at Boston, and that is saying something because I don't like big city marathons.  I thought it was very well organized, and running past the girls at Wellesley is one of my favorite race memories.  They are loud!

That being said, I still haven't worn the shirt we received for the race.  It is just too loud.  I would feel silly in it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

I have a 26.2 sticker on my computer.  Not because I want to say "look at me, I'm the shit" (I do that via other things) but because it came from the Tobacco Road Marathon... and I think it is funny that there's a marathon called Tobacco Road.

But it does make me wonder... is there a Boston-branded 26.2 sticker?  Because I'm pretty sure THAT sticker would summon the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse and we could get the end of the world thing moving after all.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My favorite is the 13.3 sticker.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Prior to this thread, I didn't know anyone (runners, that is) who thinks wearing the Boston jacket is douche.  News to me.

For the many many years of my competitive racing before I ran Boston (thus did not have a jacket, yet), I only ever heard people saying "one day, I'll have one of those jackets" and meaning it... not in a sarcastic way. 

Maybe it's a secret/select uber-group that gets together to scoff at the Boston-wearing clan. 

Possibly those who can easily qualify for Boston?

I get that not everyone would want a jacket, that goes for just about anything, but I think they're cool.   I wonder if people think championship rings are douche, or high school varsity jackets.  It shows you worked hard for something, and achieved it.  That's not douche.  Wearing the jacket and scoffing those who aren't as fast would be douche.  But sporting because you ran Boston = not douche.

Championship rings -- real sport, not douche; feckwad hobby posing as a real sport (e.g. badminton, curling, golf), douche.

High school varsity jackets -- not douche if wearer is in said high school; otherwise douche; wearer is out of high school but actor playing high-school character in movie (e.g. Ferris Bueller) -- not douche; wearer is Tom Cruise, All The Right Moves notwithstanding -- douche.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

bhearn

But it does make me wonder... is there a Boston-branded 26.2 sticker?  Because I'm pretty sure THAT sticker would summon the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse and we could get the end of the world thing moving after all.

xor

Also, if wearing the Sweet Jacket to another race makes me a feckwad and a prick, what happens if I wear my Mt Desert Island (Maine) shirt to the beginning of the Boston Marathon? What am I then? 

Please tell me it is Gandhi.  That would be pretty awesome.

Edit: yeah, I should have image googled.  Thanks Dr Bob.  The end of the world is nigh.  Not to be confused with "the end of the world is nye" because I don't think the Mayans meant new year's eve.

I'm going to get a giant 333 sticker.