The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

xor

Gang affiliation?

The Ashland Crew.  Or maybe it is a North Face thing.  Dunno.

xor

No, I was wearing my Boston jacket at the time because it's the most suitable jacket I happen to own for long, wet runs. Didn't stop me from feeling like a dork standing next to Geoff Roes. But then, that would probably be true even without the jacket.

This is a sincere question, because I wonder this myself sometimes.  In terms of dorkness, which is worse in THAT situation... boston jacket or maniac jacket?

bhearn

Boston jacket, I think. Maniac jackets are really like gang affiliation. 

Kalsarikännit

The exception is if you become a legend in your sport.  Then you can do whatever you damn well want.

Image Detail

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

Athletes West were like the Bloods.

Imminent Catastrophe

Eh.  You could be Catra.  (I have no idea what this means except that her costume at Javelina was more disturbing than funny)

Catra wears scary costumes every day of the year.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

That's how you wear a running jacket.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm going to have to get into that Jogging Craze.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

kcam

What are you talking about?  Farah's not wearing a jacket.

vegefrog

OMG! If only my hair looked like that when I ran! And I'm talking about Farrahs hair, not Lees Wink Though his is great too!!

xor

The jacket causes cognitive dissonance.   These days, people seem to be shaving/waxing their chests... and so the jacket, while silly looking, is not problematic.  But for Lee Majors in that picture?

That's gonna catch his chest hair and be very ow-y. 

No thank you.

A Sweet Jacket without a shirt is an interesting combo.  This gave way in the 80s to sleeveless hoodies.  Now THAT is an odd proposition.

No Talent Drips

I feel bad for them. They need to get a life.

Oh, lighten up Francis. I guess I hit a nerve.

On my long-ish run today, I was giving this topic some more thought--because, well, CC clearly didn't like be called a feckwad (indirectly, of course), and I thought "do I need to get a life? what would I have to give up? My passion for extra terrestrial life? Cigarettes? My job?  Silly, I thought...I simply cannot part with these things. So, what then?  

Nothing. Upon reflection--and as previously stated--I want you people to continue to wear the "it's just a jacket" to small market marathons. CC is spot on that the issue lies with me, and not the "just a jacket" bearer, and it is my competitive issue.  I see folks at, say Wineglass, donning the jacket and I think to myself something like "I want to beat that guy". Is it rational? Even less so than Rick Santorum, perhaps, but it is how I'm wired. And I love me. Lots. And I love you, small-market-just-a-jacket-wearing-guy--you motivate me. Stupid, right? Oh well.

Only marginally related, but for me--important because it provides some contrast. I had this great experience at Wineglass where, after having run the thing, showered up, had a soda (or is it pop there? either way, it was neither) and changed, I went to the post race awards thingy to check the results and see if I came away with anything. This fine young man looked at me--in my jeans and my grandfathers old knockaround jacket and said "these are the full marathon results". Oh. Thanks. I liked walking past him to pick up my age group award. 

I guess I like looking like a non runner. And then running, sometimes ok. Sometimes I love a cigarette afterwards, though I wish I didn't. 

I always like thinking about UFOs. That should be its own topic.

Dei Gratia

xor

Ooo.

"Small market marathons".

Yes, you got me there.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Point being, anyone who has a hang up about a jacket that someone else is wearing, for whatever reason, has some serious issues of their own.

Hey...aren't you the guy who was all up in people's shit about wearing running skirts?  Huh.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

I would get it ahead if it is important to you to have.  If you trained & plan to show up ... regardless of what happens ... you deserve to wear the jacket.  I have done Boston 5 times & I only bought 2 "official" jackets.  As someone mentioned - it is an expensive race.

It is amazing but there is no reason to worry about "is it right, appropriate, or with popular opinion" re: a jacket or any other memorabilia.  99% of the work is all the training ... who gives a shit what people think.  

Bottom line - you deserve a jacket if you trained for this race & paid the entry fee.  If you blow a knee two days before the race ... well, you have a unique "marathon" story behind your individual jacket.  Do what you want - people make WAY too big of a deal about shit like this.  

Type A, OCD people make up a large part of this "running" crowd (myself included) that you are proposing this topic to ... we like to place all kinds of 'rules' or 'ethical do's & don'ts' on pretty much every topic.  It is ridiculous.  

I like hearing other thoughts & opinions on things sometimes, but it doesn't dictate my final decision.  Do what you feel good about.  But remember: it IS just a jacket & it IS just a race though many want to believe it is SO MUCH MORE.  Keep it in perspective.

GOOD LUCK!

peace