What weird things do you do while running (Read 2813 times)

Run To Win's thread about exhaling when out of breath during a race made me think of something weird that I do and I thought this would be a fun thread. requirement: must be "weird" in the context of running, IE not something that is common with runners but weird to non-runners. 1.) Horse Lips. Whenever I am running hard such that breathing becomes an issue, I randomly do that thing that horses do where they blow out air through their mouth while having their lips relaxed and closed. This is completely involuntary. 2.) "HET". I run with a dog a lot, and whenever she runs too slow or too fast, or veers off to the side, my command to get her to stick with me is "HET". I say it very loudly; I like to pretend that I am a Cambodian slave boss on a rice farm. Problem is, when I am not running with my dog, such as in a race, and I begin to falter from pace or lose focus, I always find myself yelling "HET". I have got some weird looks from this.
    For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

Think Whirled Peas

snot rockets. Definitely something the non-running community does not appreciate.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I think my only one is that when I am out of breath I always stick the tip of my tongue to the roof of my mouth. With my mouth wide open like this I usually start exhaling very loudly. Usually makes a hissing sound.

uncontrollable

when I am tired my head starts tilting to the left - I don't know why sometimes I make a slow exhaling Ssssssssssss sound to slow my breathing down a little - I don't know how that started stretch my arms/neck/back etc... while running - i.e. straighten my arms, drop my shoulders, look down slightly to loosen any tension (mostly on long runs)

peace

as my roommate keeps telling me, most people in the non-running community find running in itself relatively weird and unnecessary. Tongue
            MrH

snot rockets. Definitely something the non-running community does not appreciate.
              In other outdoor sports snot rockets and spitting are common - but it's on the field of play where only the athletes are - those damn runners do it in public on the sidewalk in front of the kids ...

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Jazz hands!

I clear my throat a lot. Sometimes it gives me cramps in the muscles along my ribcage and / or upper back. Core training? What's core training?
                run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                  Talk smack to myself (come on you pansy, you're not done yet) Grunt as I'm sprinting as hard as I can, guess it seems to deflect from the discomfort of running so fast.
                  "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                    Also, I count forwards, count backwards, count fast, count slow. Once in a while I sing a song, not just any song but "One tin soldier." Not sure why, might be one of the few songs I know all the words to.

Old, Slow, Happy

I have been known to scream loud, nasty things at the wind.

Best Present Ever

I have been known to scream loud, nasty things at the wind.
                        me too. Though I tend to mutter more than scream, and sometimes forget when I'm running with someone and when I'm alone.
                          BUSTED, they have to be things that are uncommon amongst runners.
                          For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
                            I think my only one is that when I am out of breath I always stick the tip of my tongue to the roof of my mouth. With my mouth wide open like this I usually start exhaling very loudly. Usually makes a hissing sound.
                            This is awesome.
                              Also, I count forwards, count backwards, count fast, count slow. Once in a while I sing a song, not just any song but "One tin soldier." Not sure why, might be one of the few songs I know all the words to.
                              I have made three great mistakes in my life. The third was running an ultramarathon race (the first two were signing up for it, and training for it). During this race, on account of eyewitnesses, I started singing French folk songs. Problem is, I don't know French, nor do I know any French folk songs.

12-week layoff

When I'm sucking wind (which is often) I channel The Little Engine That Could. I think I can, I think I can. In races, I give myself points for every person in pink I pass. And take away points for every person in pink who passes me. I'm guarenteed to lose points to srlopez one of these days, should we ever meet on the roads.