2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

Anonymous Guest

On my destination races, I haven't ever really wanted to do the same race more than once, but I do want to do this again and will hope for a more spectator friendly day because everyone kept talking about how extremely thin the crowds were this year (and I don't blame them, I wouldn't have wanted to stand out there in the wind and rain either).  From what people were saying it is a very different race when the weather is good and the spectators are out in full force.

I would like to experience that.

My first Boston was 2014, and it was so incredibly amazing I decided I'd never do Boston again because it wouldn't measure up to that experience. There was only one small section early in the race that there were no spectators. Even between the towns along the way there were spectators. That fencing the last few miles was there for a reason - in 2014 the last several miles were packed with spectators. My parents were at mile 23 and had to get there early to work their way up to the front by the time I came through. And the finish line was deafening - I heard they stopped letting people in the area it was so crowded.

While the crowds were definitely smaller this year than that, I'm still glad I experienced it. And I was amazed at the number of spectators that were out - if I hadn't experienced 2014 I'd have said this was probably close to the best (if not the best) marathons I've run as far as spectators. The entire Boston weekend is just such a fantastic experience. I think I want to go back at least one more time. Maybe not 2019 (my qualifier race in December turned out to be a short course so it doesn't count for Boston, so if I don't qualify in Fargo next month I may not be able to run 2019), but definitely one more time.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thinking back through the whole experience after describing it to coworkers and friends several times over the last few days one of the most memorable things about it to me was after the finish.

I was staying at the Boston Park Plaza and after the race met up with my family and then walked back to the hotel.  As we came into the lobby there was a line of hotel employees on each side of the entry way cheering and clapping very loudly.  They were screaming like I had just crossed the finish line.  They were doing this for each runner as they came back in the hotel wet, cold and tired.  It was really neat and very unexpected.  (now I've ruined it if someone else stays there and comes in after the race).

As far as hotels to stay at, I really did like staying there and felt like it was a great location.  It did cost $500ish per night booked on hotwire back in August or September.  It was about 1/4 mile from where we loaded the buses that morning and it was 4/10 of a mile from the finish line.  In retrospect it would have been easier to just meet my family at the hotel after the finish line instead of going to met them at the designated meeting area for our last name.  I think the way to the meeting area was almost the same distance as it would have been to get to the hotel the way you had to go back and around to the meeting area.

My hotel in 2014, though small and far from the finish line, still had a party with nice hors d'oeuvre for the runners.

On my destination races, I haven't ever really wanted to do the same race more than once, but I do want to do this again and will hope for a more spectator friendly day because everyone kept talking about how extremely thin the crowds were this year (and I don't blame them, I wouldn't have wanted to stand out there in the wind and rain either).  From what people were saying it is a very different race when the weather is good and the spectators are out in full force.

I would like to experience that.

My 2 cents.  Nathan

Yes, yes, you must!

Julia1971

I know this is a Boston thread but...  I've done both several times in all kinds of weather and when it comes to crowds, I give the prize to New York.  Sorry, I said it.  

But, I agree that the city of Boston makes you feel like a super star all weekend long.  It's amazing seeing so many runners walking around in their jackets and having so many runner-focused things to do.  Whereas, there are so many things going on in New York that weekend that being there for the race doesn't seem all that special.

scrumhalfgirl

Sounds like 3:28 was a popular finish time for RA members! I ran 5 minutes faster than in last year's heat, though it was certainly a much tougher run. last year at the 20 mile mark, I wished the race could go on forever because I was enjoying myself so much, but this year I was happy to see the end! Best shower of my life back at the hotel. Smile

-Jess

bhearn

I know this is a Boston thread but...  I've done both several times in all kinds of weather and when it comes to crowds, I give the prize to New York.  Sorry, I said it.  

Oh I've gotta disagree strongly there. The Boston crowd is PROUD of the race; it's part of their history. They're educated about it. The support is huge and tangible. In NY, like you said, there are so many other things going on. The race is just a spectacle. Plus, Wellesley. I mean, 'nuff said. To me, there is no comparison.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Not sure I would dare metaphorically compare my wife to a cold, wet, miserable race, 

You, I like. (And I bet she does, too.)

Congrats to everyone who ran in the Boston Marathon! There was an acquaintance of my son who ran at small high school in OK and who ran at a small college in OK who finished 52nd place overall in his first Boston Marathon race and then he broke his PR by over 4 mins in those crazy conditions!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Oh I've gotta disagree strongly there. The Boston crowd is PROUD of the race; it's part of their history. They're educated about it. The support is huge and tangible. In NY, like you said, there are so many other things going on. The race is just a spectacle. Plus, Wellesley. I mean, 'nuff said. To me, there is no comparison.

I have to agree with this though I'm sure Boston has changed a lot since I last ran it in 1972 with a field of 1200 runners and a noon start.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Julia1971

Really?  I can only think we're misunderstanding one another.  I wasn't saying the Boston crowds aren't proud or educated.  I was saying pure crowd size, New York's are larger.

You give me Wellesley, I give you the crowd coming off the Queensboro.  As you say, to me, there is no comparison.

Both are great races but for different reasons.

bhearn

Really?  I can only think we're misunderstanding one another.  I wasn't saying the Boston crowds aren't proud or educated.  I was saying pure crowd size, New York's are larger.

OK you got me there. Apparently about 1,000,000 vs. 500,000.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

OK you got me there. Apparently about 1,000,000 vs. 500,000.

Ah, but wouldn't that make the Boston crowd a much higher percentage of the area population?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Oh yes, no question.

Seattle prattle

It all comes down to who has the better beer. Does NY have anything in the Sam Adams caliber? Not to my knowledge. That's why it's been Boston for me, and only Boston.

Julia1971

Ah, but wouldn't that make the Boston crowd a much higher percentage of the area population?

Carry on, Patriots of New England.

Julia1971

It all comes down to who has the better beer. Does NY have anything in the Sam Adams caliber? Not to my knowledge. That's why it's been Boston for me, and only Boston.

Have you been lured into running 2019?  I think you have...