2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

Joann Y

Anyway, sheesh, its a little dusty in here:

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20087622/behind-the-scenes-of-desiree-lindens-incredible-boston-marathon-win/

Thanks for that, Mikey. That was awesome. In addition to reading all that good stuff, I really liked the video footage. This in particular really gave me an idea of how crazy the conditions were! Just wild. I have a huge crush on Desi right now. HUGE.

Anywho. The Marathon Tours website opened up the hotel reservations for next year! DavePNW and Baboon, get in there!

DavePNW

Anywho. The Marathon Tours website opened up the hotel reservations for next year! DavePNW and Baboon, get in there!

I'm already on it. Plenty of options, I just need to decide on price vs location.

Dave

Joann Y

I'm already on it. Plenty of options, I just need to decide on price vs location.

I chose location because why the hell not. I might not get to or want to go again. Watching that video over and over, I am quite thrilled kind of happy that I got shut out of this year's race by a measly 12 seconds. OH WELL! Next year has got to be better!

DavePNW

I chose location because why the hell not. I might not get to or want to go again. 

+1. Done.

MTA: this was a little more exciting than I expected, it kind of makes it feel more real. Of course I still have to, you know, get in.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I chose location because why the hell not. I might not get to or want to go again. Watching that video over and over, I am quite thrilled kind of happy that I got shut out of this year's race by a measly 12 seconds. OH WELL! Next year has got to be better!

Go all out and treat yourself to a fantastic time!

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, kudos to BAA. They have done the right thing, IMO.

xhristopher

The BAA making it right after a few weeks of delay: https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2018/05/03/2018-boston-marathon-women-prize-money.

Nice to see my donation to the BAA go to good use.

And despite what was printed in my local newspaper, I did not run the marathon this year.

flyrunnr

One of those women that got some prize money was  a friend. I was happy for her.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Still using the FR 410 but with a scosche rhythm+ heart rate monitor armband instead of the chest hr monitor. That watch just has never died yet after 6 yrs of using it.

DavePNW

Brooks posted a video of Des talking up how great all her Brooks gear was. She mentioned that she was the only Boston champion ever to finish the race wearing a jacket. I guess an interesting bit of trivia assuming it's true.

Dave

Sunflower747

I realize this is a question that doesn't really have an answer but what do you think is a bq time that will have enough cushion to be able to actually run the Boston marathon?  I ran 4 minutes below my bq time (3:31:01)... I thought that should be plenty until I realized you had to  go under by 3:23 last year!  I think I'm in the maybe zone.. not a definitely yes or no.  Maybe this year will be easier since it was a cold winter and this past Boston marathon was not great (less people may have bq during the race or may not want to come back next year?).  Anyone else working on a 2019 bq?  Hope your training is going well!

DavePNW

this is a question that doesn't really have an answer

not a definitely yes or no. 

Maybe 

These things you can say with certainty. Anything else is a wild ass guess.

Dave

Linny12

I have the same margin below my BQ (-3:59) to register for 2019. I am concerned that it might not be enough. I saw that 1000 more people qualified at Boston this year than in the hot weather of 2017. But it is based on many other factors too, so I do not think there is really any way to predict.

I am going to apply with the time that I have now. I plan to run a marathon in the fall after registration closes, so I already have the mindset that if I do not get in, then I will already be preparing to try again for 2020.