Garmin 305 Auto Lapping (Read 1075 times)

e454545rt

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up two different auto lapping distances? I'd like to know my time for each mile as well as each 5k.

Is that possible? I've set it up to do each mile, but I've got a 5k coming up so I'd like to know that as well.

You could set it up to record 3 miles and then record a tenth of a mile through the workouts?

Or, if you want your mile splits plus your final 5k time, just display your lap time and your overall time and stop it when you finish your race?

Or, if you want it to record 5k splits instead of mile splits (or 1k splits or any other distance) just go into the settings and change the autolap interval.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Couldn't you hit the "stop" button when you cross the line?

I don't know of any way to do it.  I have it auto lap on every mile, whether it's running or biking.  I do have different sounds that it makes when I do 5 miles separate from when it does 1 mile.

The 1 mile sound is softer.

The 5 mile sound is louder and longer.

You may be able to trigger the sound at 5k (or 3.11miles) and then hit a separate "lap" when you hear that sound....

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

e454545rt

Yea, for races I would just hit stop when I cross the line, but I'm talking more for just going out running when there isn't a finish line and I don't necessarily stop after a 5k.

Setting up the sound alerts might be a good option. So if I manually hit the lap button when I hear the 5k sound, does that mess up any of the auto lap features or would it continue to record those?

I guess I can just go out today and mess around with it.

I don't think that it messes it up if you hit the "lap" button when you hear the sound, but I'm not possitive.

I think that when it gets to Mile4, it'll autolap that partial mile, but it may go all the way to 4.11 miles???

Check it out.

Enjoy training.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

When you hit the lap button on the 305, it starts the auto-lap over again. For example, if you have it set to auto-lap every mile, and then press the lap button at 0.1 (3.1), it will not record another auto lap for a whole mile.

The easiest way I know of would be to leave auto-lap set to a mile and then use something like Sports Tracks to change the splits from 1 mile to 5k.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prince of Fatness

If it is like my 205 (which I think that it is), I believe that there is only one set of laps that it records.  This means that you can only have it autolap at one interval at a time, i.e., 1 mile or 5 kilometers.

I suppose that you could set up a display to be in kilometers, and then at least you would be able to see when you hit each 5K as you were running.  Autolap could still be in 1 mile increments.  It would only record the mile splits, though.

Not at it at all. 

When you hit the lap button on the 305, it starts the auto-lap over again. For example, if you have it set to auto-lap every mile, and then press the lap button at 0.1 (3.1), it will not record another auto lap for a whole mile.

The easiest way I know of would be to leave auto-lap set to a mile and then use something like Sports Tracks to change the splits from 1 mile to 5k.

Listen to this guy, in this case he is right on.

Honestly, unless you are racing a 5k, don't worry about what your average run 5k split time is. Just run, mostly easy some hard.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up two different auto lapping distances? I'd like to know my time for each mile as well as each 5k.

Is that possible? I've set it up to do each mile, but I've got a 5k coming up so I'd like to know that as well.

Two Garmins. The weight on your arms would be balanced too :-)

Am I doing this right?

I think you should set it up to auto lap every .1 mile.  Then you can import the data and set up a spread sheet to give you mile and 5k splits.  That would be awesome.

Plus you would sound really cool running down the road beeping every tenth of a mile.

No excuses....

You could use the training center software to set up a workout with the intervals set where you want them.

1 mile lap

1 mile lap

1 mile lap

.1 mile lap

.9 mile lap

etc...

Just make sure you have it repeat the routine enough that it'll cover your whole run.

-------------------------------------
                        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

This is correct.

If you just HAVE to have the 5k splits AND each discrete mile split, I'd set up an advanced workout like Nate suggests.  But you could also just have it beep when you cover 5k, then press lap ... and don't worry about having a couple 0.1mi little splits in there among all the big 1.0mi splits.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

e454545rt

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

I actually just found that sportstracks software right after posting here. I like how you can change the splits and get whatever info you want. I would love to see that come to RA!

I don't really have to get the 5k split, but 5k is kind of my max running distance right now (at a single time) so it's fun to try to beat my personal best.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

I actually just found that sportstracks software right after posting here. I like how you can change the splits and get whatever info you want. I would love to see that come to RA!

I don't really have to get the 5k split, but 5k is kind of my max running distance right now (at a single time) so it's fun to try to beat my personal best.

SportsTracks has some cool stuff. If you poke around you can find some cool plugins that do all sorts of cool things. I don't use it anymore, but when I did I liked it a lot.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?