Didn't miss my race! (and other dream states) (Read 121 times)

Joann Y

Had the day off work, napping, and woke up from a worried dream to great relief that I did not, in fact, miss the 5000m and 1 mile events at the track meet that was just about to get started. This is not the first time that this has happened. After reorienting myself to my surroundings, I immediately regretted that I woke up and now wouldn't get a chance to run those races. Hey, now I can call myself a runner, right? Right?

(I'm not sure, but this may have deep seated psychological undertones that date back to actually missing a 200m race in high school because I was too busy talking to my boyfriend at the time)

Carry on.

Congrats on not missing the races Smile I have a lot of secondhand anxiety at the thought that you did, in fact, once miss a race.

I dream about races a lot, but it's usually about missing the start of a marathon, which is both stressful and a relief because I didn't actually train; or sometimes, starting the marathon and then getting off-course and not being able to find my way back. Why always marathons, I do not know. I've never run one.

Last night I dreamed about a Caspar David Friedrich painting - something about a well-dressed man with a walking stick standing on top of a mountain, as one so often does while wearing a tailcoat, and observing a very yellow sunrise. I woke up and thought "that's what running is like! It's not about Nietzsche at all!" This made a ton of sense at 3 a.m., as if I'd just developed the Grand Unified Theory of Running. Now I'm not really so sure :/

joescott

Had the day off work, napping, and woke up from a worried dream to great relief that I did not, in fact, miss the 5000m and 1 mile events at the track meet that was just about to get started.

For you I'm glad it was just a dream.  For me last year I did miss a USATF master's championship 1500m, 'cuz I was an idiot, and then I was such a sorry head case after that I totally fell apart in the 5000 two days later.   Aaaaaggggghhhh..... That weekend still bothers me a great deal when I think about it.  Thanks for opening such a painful wound.  ;-)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

I've had that one.

Not as many times as the one where I'm frantically running around campus looking for the room where my Abnormal Behavior final is being held and I can't find the room because I skipped the class all semester and I can't graduate with a psych degree unless I pass that final, but I've had it.

Runners run

Not as many times as the one where I'm frantically running around campus looking for the room where my Abnormal Behavior final is being held and I can't find the room because I skipped the class all semester and I can't graduate with a psych degree unless I pass that final, but I've had it.

I have that exact recurring dream with some sort of literature class. At some point, I'm usually standing outside the room and nervously wondering if the professor has already dropped me from the class.

FFS.

omg. Me three.

I have that exact recurring dream with some sort of literature class. At some point, I'm usually standing outside the room and nervously wondering if the professor has already dropped me from the class.

FFS.

kcam

Lol!  Glad it was just a dream.  If I have a running-related dream it's that I'm leading a race and all of a sudden I find myself in some place that is obviously not on course and with no one else around.  What to do what to do ...

I used to have a version of mikeymike's dream but in mine the semester would be several weeks old and I would, all of a sudden, realize I hadn't been to a single class and didn't even know where my classes were meeting.  Panic.  That dream happened more often AFTER I graduated from college than before.  Hadn't had it in many years, though I suppose now I'll have it tonight.

joescott

Many times I've had the dream where I had trouble getting to the starting line in Hopkinton, and usually missing something critical like running shoes, and then I somehow get dreadfully lost running the course and panic sets in as I try to find my way back onto the course and precious seconds and minutes are ticking away.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

This thread reminds me of an old Steven Wright joke that goes something like this:

The other night I dreamed someone broke into my home and replaced everything with exact replicas. I told my wife about it the next morning. She replied, "Do I know you?"

Walk-Jogger

Lol!  Glad it was just a dream.  If I have a running-related dream it's that I'm leading a race and all of a sudden I find myself in some place that is obviously not on course and with no one else around.  What to do what to do ...

I used to have a version of mikeymike's dream but in mine the semester would be several weeks old and I would, all of a sudden, realize I hadn't been to a single class and didn't even know where my classes were meeting.  Panic.  That dream happened more often AFTER I graduated from college than before.  Hadn't had it in many years, though I suppose now I'll have it tonight.

My constantly recurring version of this dream is that I suddenly realize I haven't been to work in a week or more, and I'm not sure if I still have a job, or even which job I'm currently employed at . . . Usually this dream involves an old job where I was at for 14 years and not my current one.

Retired &  Loving It

onefatchick

My constantly recurring version of this dream is that I suddenly realize I haven't been to work in a week or more, and I'm not sure if I still have a job, or even which job I'm currently employed at . . . Usually this dream involves an old job where I was at for 14 years and not my current one.

Yep, have had this one a few times. Also have had the missing class/exam day dream many times; mine is always a math class that I missed.

Best Present Ever

FFS.

I have the college professor version -- a class to teach, I'd totally forgotten and am completely unprepared.

Joann Y

Last night I dreamed about a Caspar David Friedrich painting - something about a well-dressed man with a walking stick standing on top of a mountain, as one so often does while wearing a tailcoat, and observing a very yellow sunrise. I woke up and thought "that's what running is like! It's not about Nietzsche at all!" This made a ton of sense at 3 a.m., as if I'd just developed the Grand Unified Theory of Running. Now I'm not really so sure :/

This is great. Sometimes I think things do actually come into clarity in the wee hours, sometimes worth it to get up and get that thought on paper. Or let it pass. I'm not much of a recorder of things.

Same recurring dream as others with the missing class all semester and not finding the classroom for the final, etc. This whole track meet dream is relatively new (I think). Thinking about it now, it may also be related to this most dorky of books that I recently read...

Six-Minute Mile: A Beginning Runner Tells how at Age 40 She Tackled...a Six-Minute Mile...and how You Can Too!

A professional quilt-maker becomes envious of the attention that her eleven year old daughter gets from Coach White and decides she wants to run a 6 minute mile, with the drama centered on her insecurities as to whether she can do it or not. This is a non-fiction book, by the way. You can tell by the number of reviews that this book has been hugely influential in the world of track and field.

In any case, I have to take it as some kind of sign that I am meant to run more track races in 2015.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congrats on not missing the races Smile I have a lot of secondhand anxiety at the thought that you did, in fact, once miss a race.

I dream about races a lot, but it's usually about missing the start of a marathon, which is both stressful and a relief because I didn't actually train; or sometimes, starting the marathon and then getting off-course and not being able to find my way back. Why always marathons, I do not know. I've never run one.

Funny.  I sometimes have inspired thoughts in my dreams, then lose them when I wake up.  Probably could have saved the world several times.

My anxiety dreams tend to entail showing up late for a concert, or without my instrument, or without my clothes.  You get the picture. Er, no you don't. Wink

Recurring dreams in order of frequency:

1)  Didn't study for the test for the class I didn't attend.

2) Late to:

a)Soccer game

b) Ski meet

c) Marathon start

3)  Cannot find misc equip (cleats, shoes, race #) and tear the house apart looking for said item.

All the above dreams result in waking up more exhausted than when I went to sleep -

Ready, go.