Mid-Week Longish Runs (Read 1067 times)

mb1973

I am going to be starting marathon training soon. I have a plan that will take me from a start of 30 mpw up to 51 mpw. I will get in three 20-milers before the race. My question is this: My longest mid-week runs are going to be 10 miles. Also there will be some 10 milers on Saturdays with Sundays having my long runs of 13-20 miles (depending on the week). Should I up any of my mid-week runs to 12, 13, 14 miles? Or is a long of 10 miles for a mid-week run sifficient?
    mikeymike

If your goal is to run a marathon as fast as possible, you will likely get better results with a 12-14 miler mid-week med-long run than if you max it at 10. I saw the biggest jump in performances when I made that one change compared to any other single thing I ever did in training, except just running more weekly miles. For me it is also the hardest part of marathon training--committing to that weekly early morning, 90+ minute mid-week run. But it is worth it.

Runners run

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

What Mike said. I've just started building a longer midweek run in anticipation of spring training as well. I'm expecting a big payoff. And it's particularly cool before the long runs get long - doing a weekly 10 miler makes the 12 miler on saturday seem like a cakewalk.

Future running partner.

I had pretty good success with doing mid week long runs of 2hrs. Along with long runs on Sundays reaching up to 22 miles. I would usually take Saturday off though.
          JimR

What the others said, you need this big mid week run to do well in the full. That said, keep the distance within your means...no less than 90 minutes, top it to whatever you can handle without knocking you off your feet the next day.
              If your goal is to run a marathon as fast as possible, you will likely get better results with a 12-14 miler mid-week med-long run than if you max it at 10. I saw the biggest jump in performances when I made that one change compared to any other single thing I ever did in training, except just running more weekly miles. For me it is also the hardest part of marathon training--committing to that weekly early morning, 90+ minute mid-week run. But it is worth it.
              +1000 In my opinion the 2nd most important run of the week (after the Sat/Sun long run) is the mid-week medium long run. I also concur with 12-14 mile range. I agree that getting up extra early gets to be a pain, but I think you'll find the long runs will seem much easier with the addition of the mid-week run.

A Saucy Wench

I do think it depends a little on your pace. I think a midweek run of no less than 90 minutes - 2 hours is good. 2 1/2 starts to get into the territory of possibly taking away too much from the other work you do. Pay attention to how you are responding to it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Purdey

Self anointed title

Agree with what the (v good) runners above have said. I just wish I had the dedication to get decent mid week long runs in on a regular basis... next year maybe.... then I'll be giving Mikey a run for his money ( Clowning around )

The shirtless wonder

You could plan for running a minimum of 10 miles but allow yourself to run farther if it feels good or if you want to push it. For my last round of marathon training I went up to about 50 mpw as well. My midweek runs ranged from about 9-12 miles. I saw huge improvements. I trimmed my marathon PR by 21 minutes. I'm not a very experienced runner so I won't claim that the length of my midweek run was the primary reason for my speed improvements but I will say that I'm glad my mid week runs got longer. If nothing else it's a huge mental boost that makes long runs feel a bit less daunting.
                      What percentage would you give the medium run vs the long run? 75% distance? 2/3 distance?
                        +1000 In my opinion the 2nd most important run of the week (after the Sat/Sun long run) is the mid-week medium long run. I also concur with 12-14 mile range. I agree that getting up extra early gets to be a pain, but I think you'll find the long runs will seem much easier with the addition of the mid-week run.
                        Do you do the mid-week long run before/after or instead of mid-week speedwork? The plan I have been following has a long run on Saturday and Tempo/Cruise interval on Wednesday. The rest is Easy/recovery runs. I've been able to do some mid week 10 milers but nothing more. I have a Marathon in a week but I am starting to put together a training plan for one in March.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

What percentage would you give the medium run vs the long run? 75% distance? 2/3 distance?
                          My uneducated opinion is that the % doesn't matter much. General rule of thumb is more = better asuming you can handle it. Someone stated that anything above 14 might dig into your other workouts so I think I would cap them around there (little more/little less depending on what I personally could handle)
                          Do you do the mid-week long run before/after or instead of mid-week speedwork? .
                          I think it's just going to boil down to what works. Personally I do speedwork on Tuesday, medium/long on Thursday and long on Saturday. I'm moved those around and that's what works best for me. Like anything else, your experience may be different.