The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm so glad that the professional sports team has access to the testing to see what strains of covid got circulated. 

MoBramExam

I have spent hours on it, for a loan for TWO PEOPLE (my husband and myself).

Now the bank is asking for more information, such as our 2019 corporate tax return and K-1 forms.  Why?!?  My CPA said there's no reason they need that information.

Might be due to the change in guidance on K-1 partners' income as it relates to general payroll costs? Other than the CDC's Rona guidance, the SBA's PPP guidance has changed the most often over the last eight months. Probably best to follow your banker's instructions over your CPA's (although both could be giving you incorrect info) since he/she is the one getting benefit of the "bailout" with this program, not you or the accountant.

***My one and only comment on PPP topic, this wild west thread ain't wild enough for further discussion.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm so glad that the professional sports team has access to the testing to see what strains of covid got circulated. 

the elites have access to things us common folks don't need.

EDIT:

Apparently Reno corroborates their story.

Coronavirus mutation means higher infection and transmission rate (kolotv.com)

It’s a fact of nature; as viruses multiply they can mutate. New research shows that’s exactly what happened with the original Wuhan Virus out of China as it made its way to Europe and beyond.

“They saw as the virus continued to be transmitted and circulate around the globe, this variant became more and more frequent,” says Cyprian Rossetto, Associate Professor in Microbiology and Virology with the University of Nevada Reno, School of Medicine.

I didn't think it was socially acceptable to say Wuhan Virus.

China's mishandling of the early stages of Covid-19 pandemic revealed by leaked documents - CNN

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ha, the banker's information on the PPP Forgiveness application was totally off base.  He was clueless.

MoBramExam

Ha, the banker's information on the PPP Forgiveness application was totally off base.  He was clueless.

A “national response” is only as good as the boots on the ground. Good Luck!

mikeymike

From today's Globe:

“I’m just astounded by the dysfunction, the willingness to just stay the course as hundreds of thousands of people die, and the unwillingness to innovate in literally any way,” said Mina, an assistant professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who has been advocating for widespread at-home rapid antigen testing since March, with little success. “I’ve realized that when we need to rise up as a country, we have truly no moral capacity to do it. It’s just the most mind-bending, complete “Twilight Zone” experience that makes you ask why the hell we even bother.”

Runners run

MoBramExam

mikeymike - What is step #1 to reverse this?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

From today's Globe:

“I’m just astounded by the dysfunction, the willingness to just stay the course as hundreds of thousands of people die, and the unwillingness to innovate in literally any way,” said Mina, an assistant professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who has been advocating for widespread at-home rapid antigen testing since March, with little success. “I’ve realized that when we need to rise up as a country, we have truly no moral capacity to do it. It’s just the most mind-bending, complete “Twilight Zone” experience that makes you ask why the hell we even bother.”

Yes, it's discouraging. The amount of crap replies I get from people when I post FACTS about the exponential increase in cases in Maine astounds me. One responder is a nurse in charge of a home health agency.  She is convinced that household members of positive people have been counted as positive even without tests.  Uh, no...  She also said she knows of people who tested positive three times during the course of their illness and it was treated as three cases. Uh, no...  I contacted the Maine CDC and they replied to me this morning, on the weekend!  They told me their official procedures for counting cases, which I posted on Facebook.

I wouldn't bother responding to these idiots, but inevitably, a mutual friend will respond to the misinformation, "Thanks for that information!  People need to know these things." OMG.

Half Crazy K 2.0

mikeymike - What is step #1 to reverse this?

I can't read the article, but to me, I think the US has taken step 1. New leadership.

On head shaking crap, a small county in western MD has seen a massive spike in cases. There was a FB post shared on the governor's page from the county head commissioner. They referenced cases per 100k (which is a standard metric). Oh boy. The repsonses. A lot of "Your* an idiot", "I'm not taking any advice from this person. There aren't 100k people in this county, so your* making these numbers up."

*I know these should read you're.

MoBramExam

Yes, it's discouraging. The amount of crap replies I get from people when I post FACTS about the exponential increase in cases in Maine astounds me. One responder is a nurse in charge of a home health agency.  She is convinced that household members of positive people have been counted as positive even without tests.  Uh, no...  She also said she knows of people who tested positive three times during the course of their illness and it was treated as three cases. Uh, no...  I contacted the Maine CDC and they replied to me this morning, on the weekend!  They told me their official procedures for counting cases, which I posted on Facebook.

I wouldn't bother responding to these idiots, but inevitably, a mutual friend will respond to the misinformation, "Thanks for that information!  People need to know these things." OMG.

Very good tie in to mikeymike's link. I'm in no way disputing the accuracy of your info, only using your post as an example to help explain one of the causes of the conundrum this assistant professor of epidemiology is facing.

So, when it comes to FACTS about the manner in which case numbers counted and reported, are people to believe engineers or nurses?

Despite Maine's CDC official procedures, does the nurse's local county health agency count and report "probables" (where living with a confirmed positive, even without a confirmed positive test, is assumed to be a "case") with their case numbers? Obviously, I don't know in this specific situation, but it is done this way in some localities. Is reporting to the state done consistently by all municipalities? Does anyone know?? Regardless, many people will see "nurse" and immediately assign her more credibility.

This also plays on a larger scale. When the press or other sources of information report a FACT from "doctors" or "health experts", how is the public able to ascertain the individual's credibility? We're hit on both sides of the debate by expert opinion and interpretation of data. Sometimes by the same individual flip-flopping multiple times.

Who do you trust? You yourself couldn't trust your banker. Is he a PPP "expert"? So should you do forbearance now or later? 3508, 3508EZ, or 3508S? Your dad trusted a "doctor". Sorry for your struggles in these matters.

Back to the point of inconsistent methods of reporting numbers, how do even competent people at any level assess risk and implement effective policy? Then, how do you sell unity from above when it is riddled with inconsistencies and baseless carve outs?

Almost like we're all out here on our own. So why are so many, including those with moral capacity, fighting each other?

HK - "New leadership". Hey, there's something we come together and do very well as a country...we f*** that up every two and four years :-)

MoBramExam

Very good tie in to mikeymike's link. I'm in no way disputing the accuracy of your info, only using your post as an example to help explain one of the causes of the conundrum this assistant professor of epidemiology is facing.

So, when it comes to FACTS about the manner in which case numbers counted and reported, are people to believe engineers or nurses?

Despite Maine's CDC official procedures, does the nurse's local county health agency count and report "probables" (where living with a confirmed positive, even without a confirmed positive test, is assumed to be a "case") with their case numbers? Obviously, I don't know in this specific situation, but it is done this way in some localities. Is reporting to the state done consistently by all municipalities? Does anyone know?? Regardless, many people will see "nurse" and immediately assign her more credibility.

This also plays on a larger scale. When the press or other sources of information report a FACT from "doctors" or "health experts", how is the public able to ascertain the individual's credibility? We're hit on both sides of the debate by expert opinion and interpretation of data. Sometimes by the same individual flip-flopping multiple times.

Who do you trust? You yourself couldn't trust your banker. Is he a PPP "expert"? So should you do forbearance now or later? 3508, 3508EZ, or 3508S? Your dad trusted a "doctor". Sorry for your struggles in these matters.

Back to the point of inconsistent methods of reporting numbers, how do even competent people at any level assess risk and implement effective policy? Then, how do you sell unity from above when it is riddled with inconsistencies and baseless carve outs?

Almost like we're all out here on our own. So why are so many, including those with moral capacity, fighting each other?

HK - "New leadership". Hey, there's something we come together and do very well as a country...we f*** that up every two and four years :-)

MoBramExam

I can't read the article, but to me, I think the US has taken step 1. New leadership.

So now that we have new leadership, will you be doing anything differently?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Maine's total case count is probable plus confirmed.  If a "probable" case is determined not to be positive, the numbers are adjusted.

When are Data Updated? Data are updated daily between 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM with COVID-19 results included as of 11:59 PM the previous day.

Who is Included in the Data? Data are about individuals who claim residency in Maine regardless of what state they were tested in, or where they are currently living. For example, an individual who claims residency in Maine but lives in Florida will appear in this data even if they were living in Florida at the time of illness. County listings are by residence of patient, not location of the hospital or testing location.

What are Confirmed Cases? This represents the number of persons in whom SARS-CoV-2 RNA was detected using a molecular amplification test (e.g. PCR) from any approved lab.

What are Probable Cases? There are three ways in which someone can meet the probable case definition:

• The individual Is a close contact of a confirmed case (as identified through an epidemiological investigation) AND has
                              • Severe respiratory illness with either clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia OR
                              • At least one of the following symptoms:
                                • Cough
                                • Shortness of breath
                                • Difficulty breathing
                                • New loss of taste or smell OR
                              • At least two of the following symptoms:
                                • Fever (measured or reported)
                                • Chills
                                • Repeated shaking with chills
                                • Muscle pain
                                • Headache
                                • Sore throat
                                • Nausea or vomiting
                                • Diarrhea
                                • Fatigue
                                • Congestion or runny nose; OR
                            • The person has had SARS-CoV-2 detected using an antigen test on a respiratory specimen; OR
                            • The person’s death certificate lists COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2 as a cause of death or a significant condition contributing to death with no laboratory evidence for SARS-CoV-2.

What are Recovered Cases? Recovered means a person has met the released from isolation requirements defined by Federal CDC. The requirements are: at least 1 day (24 hours) have passed since recovery, defined as resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement in symptoms; and, at least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared.

What are Other Cases? Other Cases is the number of cases left over after removing recovered and deaths from the cumulative total.

What is an Indeterminate Test? Indeterminate means that the test did not provide a clear negative or positive result.

What is Included in Deaths?A COVID-19 associated death is defined as a death resulting from an illness that is clinically compatible with COVID-19 that is confirmed by an appropriate laboratory test. There should be no period of complete recovery between the illness and death. It is not necessary that COVID-19 be the primary cause of death.

What Categories are Mutually Exclusive? The only categories that are mutually exclusive are Deaths and Recovered. Deaths are counted both in Cumulative Confirmed/Probable Cases and Deaths. Hospitalizations are counted in the Cumulative Confirmed/Probable and may also be counted in Deaths or Recovered depending on the outcome of the individual.

What are Some Limitations? Confirmed data represent only those individuals with positive test results, which likely under-represents the true number of cases in Maine. For individuals not considered to be at high risk, medical providers were advised to diagnose COVID-19 based on symptoms prior to May 18, 2020. Those diagnoses are not reported. All data are preliminary and may change as Maine CDC investigates confirmed cases.

MoBramExam

What are Probable Cases? There are three ways in which someone can meet the probable case definition:

• The individual Is a close contact of a confirmed case (as identified through an epidemiological investigation) AND has
                                • Severe respiratory illness with either clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia OR
                                • At least one of the following symptoms:
                                  • Cough
                                  • Shortness of breath
                                  • Difficulty breathing
                                  • New loss of taste or smell OR
                                • At least two of the following symptoms:
                                  • Fever (measured or reported)
                                  • Chills
                                  • Repeated shaking with chills
                                  • Muscle pain
                                  • Headache
                                  • Sore throat
                                  • Nausea or vomiting
                                  • Diarrhea
                                  • Fatigue
                                  • Congestion or runny nose; OR

Yeah, this may be what the nurse is thinking about...or she just wants to argue with you for the sake of having an argument.

Half Crazy K 2.0

So now that we have new leadership, will you be doing anything differently?

No, because I am already staying home, wearing my damn mask, etc. What I would hope is that things like shortages of testing supplies and PPE  get addressed (not just covid, now some regions are rationing STD tests). I'm hoping that maybe someone who takes is seriously can get some buy in from states so there is some level of coordination as opposed to 51 different approaches.