The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We had a big snow/windstorm last night.  Our power is still on, but a tree fell across our driveway and hit an electric pole, causing a live wire to fall to the road and block it.  Calling the power company and 911 hasn't done any good.  They said they have no idea when a crew will get out here. People in six houses, including ours, are trapped.  So this is one way to quarantine!  I'm glad we don't have any appointments the next few days.

Half Crazy K 2.0

We had a big snow/windstorm last night.  Our power is still on, but a tree fell across our driveway and hit an electric pole, causing a live wire to fall to the road and block it.  Calling the power company and 911 hasn't done any good.  They said they have no idea when a crew will get out here. People in six houses, including ours, are trapped.  So this is one way to quarantine!  I'm glad we don't have any appointments the next few days.

Oh yikes. Scary that no one seems that concerned over a live wire.

Honestly, 2-3 feet of snow is about the only thing I see improving numbers in MD. It also tends to work for crime in Baltimore City.

mikeymike

No, because I am already staying home, wearing my damn mask, etc. What I would hope is that things like shortages of testing supplies and PPE  get addressed (not just covid, now some regions are rationing STD tests). I'm hoping that maybe someone who takes is seriously can get some buy in from states so there is some level of coordination as opposed to 51 different approaches.

Pretty much this.

A new administration will help a little. Unfortunately it will be too little, way too late to avoid a disaster much worse than it needed to be. By January 20th we might be pushing close to half a million dead Americans. And we'll still have the problem of forty something percent of Americans living in a propaganda bubble.

Runners run

mikeymike

I can't read the article, but to me, I think the US has taken step 1. New leadership.

On head shaking crap, a small county in western MD has seen a massive spike in cases. There was a FB post shared on the governor's page from the county head commissioner. They referenced cases per 100k (which is a standard metric). Oh boy. The repsonses. A lot of "Your* an idiot", "I'm not taking any advice from this person. There aren't 100k people in this county, so your* making these numbers up."

*I know these should read you're.

I think we have amlple evidence that Facebook is a threat to public health (setting aside the damage it's done to democracy) that we can and should shut the whole thing down. It was obviously a mistake.

Runners run

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm shocked that Guiliani tested positive.  The presidential suite at Walter Reed should be the only place that that group gets treatment. He shouldn't be taking a bed from someone in the DC, MD, VA area.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm not. He's from New York. I wouldn't go to that state or within 1,000 miles of it.

A guy I know drove 300 miles to go sailing this weekend. Same guy said his parents won't go outside until there is a vaccine and it's impossible to get a haircut with a facemask in March. Hypocrite doesn't want to go back to the office and claims it is unsafe to have three people in his cubicle (they can space out) yet I'd bet $20 he'll go skiing and say how safe it is because he was 6 feet away from people.

Rita Ora 'Deeply Sorry' For Breaking COVID-19 Lockdown Rules For Her 30th Birthday | HuffPost

Looks like all the rich people have to do is apologize. If this was a President Donald Trump rally you'd have a $30,000 fine. Somehow rich English celebrities get a pass on being fined for breaking the covid laws. THIS is why I don't care about covid 19. Literally no penalties for massive social gatherings so marathons could happen just out of a race director saying it will happen. Just call it a protest/demonstration against racism. 13.1 mile long march.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

What are Probable Cases? There are three ways in which someone can meet the probable case definition:

• The individual Is a close contact of a confirmed case (as identified through an epidemiological investigation) AND has
                  • Severe respiratory illness with either clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia OR
                  • At least one of the following symptoms:
                    • Cough
                    • Shortness of breath
                    • Difficulty breathing
                    • New loss of taste or smell OR
                  • At least two of the following symptoms:
                    • Fever (measured or reported)
                    • Chills
                    • Repeated shaking with chills
                    • Muscle pain
                    • Headache
                    • Sore throat
                    • Nausea or vomiting
                    • Diarrhea
                    • Fatigue
                    • Congestion or runny nose; OR

• fever* or feeling feverish/chills
                • cough
                • sore throat
                • runny or stuffy nose
                • muscle or body aches
                • headaches
                • fatigue (tiredness)
                • some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
                • Flu Symptoms & Complications | CDC

I can see why social media and society is saying it's just the flu even though flu season isn't supposed to happen all summer long. Look at how many of those symptoms for a probably cause are similar to the CDC's website for the flu. Cough, headache, sore throat. You probably have COVID 19 and you have enough symptoms to be tested. "The Nightime, Sniffling, Sneezing, Coughing, Aching, Stuffyhead, Fever, So-You-Can-Rest and have a good morning medicine." might help out with a lot of these symptoms on the surface. Add some Pepto for the GI issues.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

dhuffman63

Trails

Part of the problem is the long list of possible symptoms.  I have allergies so I have a runny nose/congestion on a daily basis.  I have kidney disease which causes fatigue, headaches, shortness of breath as it worsens.  Every now and again I get a slight fever.  Back in Feb I thought I had either the flu or strep throat but both were negative, thought I'd die from not being able to breathe but I think it was just a bad cold with bronchitis thrown in.  Way before Covid testing.  I've since had a chest xray and antibody test but both were negative.

So yeah it's tough and some people even with symptoms won't get tested cause they think it's just the flu and will go away.  My DH is one such person but at least he wears a mask when out in public.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I always wonder when people say just the flu. Any time I have had the flu, it knocks me out for about a week. Forget going to work or running, it's a struggle to just drag myself to the bathroom.

I got a flu test for the first time this February. My "plan" was that I just knew I had the flu, so I would get the positive result, get Tamiflu and be done with it a little sooner. HAHAHAHAHA. I had 2 negative tests and wound up developing pnuemonia. Because this was early February, I was asked sort of in a cover the bases way "did you recently travel to China".

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/nyregion/nyc-school-reopening.html

And this is why I wouldn't go within 1,000 miles of New York.

"On Monday, New York City will reopen some of its public schools in the teeth of a worsening coronavirus outbreak."

Great time to open the schools. Not like the state locked down neighborhoods because the individuals weren't following COVID 19 protocols. Apparently people think they're going to shut down.

From the article

It was already happening. The positive test rate from random testing in city schools increased from 0.17 percent in mid-October to 0.28 percent in November, according to city data.

But for Michael Mulgrew, the president of the teachers union, the frequent closures are a key part of why schools have remained safe. “This has worked,” he said. “It worked because we never had a spread in any school.”

I just give up. Let the new leadership shut down every business and activity they don't think is essential, and continue to apologize for their own personal events violating their rules. Close the schools down nation wide with national mask mandates and all recreation outside of the house for the next 6 months is a violation for all I care. It's not like society is going to listen anyways. Just make it up as you go along.

VDOT 53.37 

I live in NYC suburbs. My daughter goes to school 2-3 times a week. The school's aren't the problem here. Guiliani probably hasn't been anywhere near New York in a while. He's too busy trying to overthrow democracy and the election in AZ, GA and MI.

Half Crazy K 2.0

RP, here's another opinion on the NYC schools. I think the random testing makes a hell of a lot of sense. I would go one step further that kids sent to the nurse with certain symptoms also need testing/clearance before returning. I would hope they have pediatric nurses/medical folks administering the tests. I'm sure there is a way the good ones can make sticking a pipe cleaner up your nose seem fun & exciting.

A shit ton of money has been spent to make sure we can test college & pro sports teams on a ery regular basis. Maybe the schools would be back if you actually did the same for them.

dhuffman63

Trails

HC...lol....we can't live without the fucking sports...gotta have the football and basketball cause you know they matter WAY more than children's education.

Half Crazy K 2.0

HC...lol....we can't live without the fucking sports...gotta have the football and basketball cause you know they matter WAY more than children's education.

I know. Plus, I'm sure all those NCAA footbal & basketball players are there for the education first. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

half spend money on schools? BLASPHEMY! You need to pay your teachers and by then you have no money left over so we need to raise taxes to pay for bigger salaries school programs.

dhuffman I feel the same way about skiing, and all those "essential" activities and businesses that are exempt from wearing a mask. Just claim everything is essential and we don't need to shut it down. Except for schools. Schools are essential, but not in the "let us use them for their intended purpose" sort of way. More like the " we need your money and you provide the building and supplies" kind of way. I'd HATE to be a walmart employee with a student on mandatory stay at home. "Hey CPS come pick up my kid. I'm essential so I can't just leave them home and they're in 3rd grade with schools closed."

Locally the hospital daycare had to close due to COVID 19. They called nurses to come get their kids. A parent had to wait 1 year to get her child BACK into the daycare her son is at and she had to wait like 6 months to get her son back in after pullling him out due to COVID 19.

VDOT 53.37