The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Prince of Fatness

It was a $20 bill that the cashier suspected was counterfeit.

Thanks. I knew it was something like that. I fixed my original post so I am with the times.

Not at it at all. 

CalBears

Imagine that your child has died and you are posting in facebook or twitter about your kid's death, what the kid meant to you and others, and how you were feeling. Now imagine another adult shows up in your thread swaggering with "all kids matter! WHAT ABOUT MY KID!???" (who, btw, happens to be alive). 

I understand what you are saying but I think the analogy is bad. You are comparing a specific case with a general one. If you would say, George Floyd's life matters, and George is dead, that one thing. Anybody who would be alive and say - my life matters too - that person would sound really stupid. But when you have a general statement like BLM - that is a big general statement, then it is a totally different story. Yes, I am white, I know, but does it mean I cannot even ask questions? Just when I hear BLM, that makes me think WLDNM. Just logically that's how it sounds to many people from other countries. I think it just sounds exclusive, not inclusive. Sorry, I am just trying to understand, honestly.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Just when I hear BLM, that makes me think WLDM. Just logically that's how it sounds to many people from other countries. I think it just sounds exclusive, not inclusive.

In the 60s when protesting black men held up signs that read "I AM A Man," would your response have been, "Well, I'M a man, too"? I mean, that's kind of the same logic. Both are pointing out things that should be obvious, but clearly haven't been to many white people for, ya know, forever.

CalBears

In the 60s when protesting black men held up signs that read "I AM A Man," would your response have been, "Well, I'M a man, too"? I mean, that's kind of the same logic. Both are pointing out things that should be obvious, but clearly haven't been to many white people for, ya know, forever.

I think that is the thing - if I would see something like that, I would just be surprised because in my mind it would be stating the obvious and that's how I approached all the people all my life - never cared if person of different race or different color - only based on the character. Never had any presumptions based on any external factors - honestly. Maybe that's why it is so difficult to grasp for me. I just do not understand how you can treat people only based on external attributes.

I think that is the thing - if I would see something like that, I would just be surprised because in my mind it would be stating the obvious and that's how I approached all the people all my life - never cared if person of different race or different color - only based on the character. Never had any presumptions based on any external factors - honestly. Maybe that's why it is so difficult to grasp for me. I just do not understand how you can treat people only based on external attributes.

You're unaware of racism in the U.S.?

CalBears

You're unaware of racism in the U.S.?

I am aware of racism in US, at least I heard of it, but what it has to do with me asking questions? It sounds like if I am white, it makes me a racist by default?

rlopez

I understand what you are saying but I think the analogy is bad. You are comparing a specific case with a general one. If you would say, George Floyd's life matters, and George is dead, that one thing. Anybody who would be alive and say - my life matters too - that person would sound really stupid. But when you have a general statement like BLM - that is a big general statement, then it is a totally different story. Yes, I am white, I know, but does it mean I cannot even ask questions? Just when I hear BLM, that makes me think WLDNM. Just logically that's how it sounds to many people from other countries. I think it just sounds exclusive, not inclusive. Sorry, I am just trying to understand, honestly.

The only question I see in this lengthy paragraph is the one where you are asking permission to ask questions.

This really ain't that hard. (edited to add: and as with the firehose cartoon, I was not intending my analogy to be perfect. I was intending to start a conversation as to WHAT EMOTION WOULD IT MAKE YOU FEEL AND WHY. It would guess it would upset you. Perhaps, among other reasons, because it seemed as if this person was trying to diminish what you are going through. To which you actually responded WRONG! WRONG, SIR! WRONG!. That's kind of my point.)

As for writing checks, I have a few (old) people each week write them at my store. And... here's the fun part... when my store pays vendors and suppliers? ALL BY CHECK. Some are computer printed, but many are handwritten like I'm Bob Cratchit.

I've not received any bad checks. I have received several counterfeit bills. Never called 911 about it.

rlopez

I am aware of racism in US, at least I heard of it, but what it has to do with me asking questions? It sounds like if I am white, it makes me a racist by default?

No.

But spouting "All lives matter", rebutting every single thing given to you, and saying things that sound awfully similar to "I don't see color" forces us to raise our shields. There exist all kinds of racism, bigotry, bias, and such. There's a lot more to it than someone screaming wetback at me or telling me I'm stupid/sneaky/lazy/untrustworthy... or my personal favorite "you must like spicy food!" just because of where I'm from and my skin color.

Now... you did not do ANY OF THAT, and I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm saying I've played this game for 50+ years, and a whole lot more in the past 6, and I really shouldn't be having to explain why "all lives matter" and "I don't see color" are hurtful and counterproductive in 2020.

CalBears

Sorry to all who might be offended by my questions - just to clarify - I was not born in the US, I am Russian and came here when I was already 40+ yo. Honestly, just trying to understand what is going on.

mikeymike

Not at all. But not seeing or understanding racism in America is in itself a form of white privilege. I guarantee if you were black and had moved to the US at age 40+ you'd be an expert on racism in the US. White people benefit from racist systems whether we want to or not, and so it's our responsibility to see it and to make the effort to understand these systems and work to dismantle them whenever we can. It can be hard to rewire your brain to see all the ways it which our society is set up to advantage white people at the expense of black and brown people, but imo it's worth the effort if you want to create a more just society.

Runners run

rlopez

It’s my face man

I didn’t do nothing serious man

please

please

please I can’t breathe

please man

please somebody

please man

I can’t breathe

I can’t breathe

Please

(Inaudible)

man can’t breathe, my face

just get up

I can’t breathe

please (inaudible)

I can’t breathe sh*t

I will

I can’t move

mama

mama

I can’t

my knee

my nuts

I’m through

I’m through

I’m claustrophobic

my stomach hurt

my neck hurts

everything hurts

some water or something

please

please

I can’t breathe officer

don’t kill me

they gon’ kill me man

come on man

I cannot breathe

I cannot breathe

they gon’ kill me

they gon’ kill me

I can’t breathe

I can’t breathe

please sir

please

please

please I can’t breathe

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Sorry to all who might be offended by my questions - just to clarify - I was not born in the US, I am Russian and came here when I was already 40+ yo. Honestly, just trying to understand what is going on.

Actually, let's reset.  I think most of the posters on this forum assume you are white and are familiar with the experience of the USA.  As, I know both white and black foreigners who moved to the USA as adults, I realize they view what goes on in the USA a-historically.  Many African black people who come to the USA do not see the pervasive racism that [native] american black people see.  Many white people who come to the USA do not see it either.  Many of them (Europeans) have no real understanding of "race" other than Gypsies (Roma) or Jews.

This would be like me going to Russia and being tone deaf about the "Russian soul"; asserting "bullshit  no such thing".

My advice to you is to talk less and listen more about your new country.  Welcome.  It isn't as elementary as it first looks.  It's fine to ask questions, but be forewarned: often (native) white americans ask similar questions to be offensive.  You will be mistaken as such.  Obviously, it is hard for you to know this.  It's about as hard as you understanding linguistic articles like "the" and "a".

Just like Russia, America is complicated.  Showing some respect for that goes a long way.  We have our problems.  It's a work in progress.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

an amazing likeness

Stadjak's reply and feedback is well-reasoned, intelligent and insightful.  I believe there is a simple (and not fairly nuanced as all oversimplifications are...) description:

I am white. I live in an area of relative wealth. When I call the police, or interact with the police due to my doing something requiring a police officer to confront me -- I am extremely unlikely to end up with a police officer threatening to kill me, or even killing me. I have no reason to fear the police. They protect me from others.

Were I a black American, little of that is likely to be my experience with the police.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

My advice to you is to talk less and listen more

Good advice for all of us.

Not at it at all. 

CalBears

changed my mind...