The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The irony of you trashing Trump supporters with a string of stereotyping adjectives, then performing such stereotyping yourself, clearly escapes you.  The intellectual laziness is exhausting.  This is why we can't have a reasonable discussion.

Let's remember 6 months ago the experts told us the goal was to "flatten the curve".  Well, after a couple close calls in defined geographies, we've done that.  But the goal post have moved.  Why?  When was the last time you heard "flatten the curve"?  What is success now?  Are you expecting zero risk?  Because that's not realistic.  But again, what is the goal?  What does success look like?  Because apparently the experts were wrong.

No, we can't have a reasonable discussion because you continue to defend a guy who is responsible for the unnecessary deaths of 200k Americans. He KNEW what we were facing at the beginning of the year and lied to us all. He continues to lie. THERE ARE TAPES (video, even). And his sycophants eat this shit up and blame everyone else for our nation's woes.

We never flattened the curve. Not nationwide. Some states continue to rise. We're still on the first wave. NZ is preparing to open up again. They did it right -- twice. They get to open. We cannot open because of too damned many American exceptionalists in red hats. And we have no consistent leadership at the top. It's embarrassing. We're the shithole nation no one will visit and we aren't welcome in most of the world.

You know what really sucks? Reading daily comments such as "only old people, disabled, and people with underlying conditions are at risk"...and being one of those people. And knowing the the majority of my community would like to see me sacrificed for herd immunity. I didn't spend the last 3.5 years losing parts of 2 organ systems over 4 surgeries, and undergo months of permanently damaging/disfiguring poisoning and radiation and countless uncomfortable, risky, and humiliating procedures...and missing time with friends and family and fearing for my very existence...for this. 2020 was the year I was getting my life back and registering for my full array of races. This fucking sucks. You have no idea.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Was that sarcasm? The few articles I've read were pretty critical of their "let the weak die" strategy.

My point was that they come across as rational and normal. (imo anyway)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Let's remember 6 months ago the experts told us the goal was to "flatten the curve".  Well, after a couple close calls in defined geographies, we've done that.  But the goal post have moved.  Why?  When was the last time you heard "flatten the curve"?  What is success now?  Are you expecting zero risk?  Because that's not realistic.  But again, what is the goal?  What does success look like?  Because apparently the experts were wrong.

All this.

There is a pretty big area between totally ignore the problem and panic. Somehow as a country, it's as if those are the only 2 options. I'm all for the states making their own decisions, their leaders have far more knowledge and can make decisions down to the local level. However, there needs to be a national response too, especially for things like travel, PPE and testing. PPE still isn't available at pre-pandemic levels.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The irony of you trashing Trump supporters with a string of stereotyping adjectives, then performing such stereotyping yourself, clearly escapes you.  The intellectual laziness is exhausting.  This is why we can't have a reasonable discussion.

With respect, she really didn't use any adjectives. 🤪

But the goal post have moved.  Why?  

This is a fair question that does come up a lot. I think it IS fair to move the goal post as we lear more and see the experience that works in some parts of the country and around the world. It is true that some countries have gotten to zero cases. That was never really feasible here, but gives better benchmarks than flatten the curve. Also, the reason for flatten the curve was to allow health systems time to prepare; most are now up to speed (although influenza could blow that up), so now we can focus on better population management and balancing some normalcy with infection control. Widespread mask use and other measures to allow some schools and businesses to open, for example.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nailed it. I felt like I was the only one who saw it. Next the CDC will change who they think should get vaccinated if a vaccine comes out. I get the part of "we're learning to understand the virus" part of scientific research. I don't understand sharing information just to change your mind a few months later because it just makes everything previously stated questionable. They're not wrong. They're just figuring this out and making the best decision they can.

Thankfully this is the biggest form of social media I use.

Trent Locally schools are about to close 100% and go full online. High school seniors are protesting that other states allow sports, but my state doesn't. Sorry, there is a lot that isn't opening up and never will when the only solution seems to be a vaccine against COVID 19. COVID 19 data suggests it isn't as deadly as initially thought.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

No, we can't have a reasonable discussion because you continue to defend a guy who is responsible for the unnecessary deaths of 200k Americans. He KNEW what we were facing at the beginning of the year and lied to us all. He continues to lie. THERE ARE TAPES (video, even). And his sycophants eat this shit up and blame everyone else for our nation's woes.

We never flattened the curve. Not nationwide. Some states continue to rise. We're still on the first wave. NZ is preparing to open up again. They did it right -- twice. They get to open. We cannot open because of too damned many American exceptionalists in red hats. And we have no consistent leadership at the top. It's embarrassing. We're the shithole nation no one will visit and we aren't welcome in most of the world.

You know what really sucks? Reading daily comments such as "only old people, disabled, and people with underlying conditions are at risk"...and being one of those people. And knowing the the majority of my community would like to see me sacrificed for herd immunity. I didn't spend the last 3.5 years losing parts of 2 organ systems over 4 surgeries, and undergo months of permanently damaging/disfiguring poisoning and radiation and countless uncomfortable, risky, and humiliating procedures...and missing time with friends and family and fearing for my very existence...for this. 2020 was the year I was getting my life back and registering for my full array of races. This fucking sucks. You have no idea.

So because you think people want you to die you can say people deserve to die. Got it. You really ARE that person sitting at a table in the park saying "change my mind.

https://www.cnsnews.com/index.php/blog/john-jakubisin/levin-60-million-americans-got-swine-flu-obama-and-biden-stopped-testing

The CDC just stopped testing under the previous President. Maybe we should have done that with COVID 19. It makes it really easy to consider yourself a success when you stop testing for a virus and stop counting the information.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=united+states+covid+19&cvid=2cc33b13abb04d48b8e23e32d10f5cd5&pglt=547&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=HCTS

Looks like a declining number of COVID 19 cases according to this chart. Ideally we'll have another three week lockdown where plane travel is severly restricted between Thanksgiving and New Years because all the data keep showing us it is the family gatherings causing the spread to increase. It isn't a red hat/blue hat thing. It is a "I don't care what the COVID 19 guidelines say. I want to go see my friends and family" thing.

Quit blaming republicans for your skewed view on life. You're not the only one who has missed time with family and friends. Plenty of people don't even have friends or family to have fear their existence. Imagine how your family member would feel if they infected you with COVID 19 and it caused your death because you have an underlying medical condition. Imagine the blame they'd get for the rest of their life, along with the guilt they'd feel. Maybe this would be a large reason family and friends are avoiding you until the COVID 19 vaccine comes out. I'm sure it has nothing to do with your wonderful attitude. At least I accept people don't want to see me because I'm an asshole. You seem to deny it and expect others to come around.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

People are just going to have to wear masks, distance and wash hands for the next 9-12 months. It just is. We have to do it. It makes people testy and want to blame someone.

We'll all just do it because it's right. There is nothing wrong with continuing to flatten the curve which means reducing deaths. Nobody wants to see their parents or grandparents die alone from Covid. So we are going to do what we need to do.

I don't think someone in the London Blitz would have been able to say they are going to keep their lights on at night because they don't want to live in fear and they accept what god has in store. It doesn't work that way when we impact those around us with such choices.

So we'll all buckle up.  It's going to be a tough winter. But none of us are being drafted to fight in Vietnam or Europe or the Pacific... this is one of our generation's tough years. Let's all just deal with it and stop trying to direct anger at a "side".

Teresadfp

One day at a time

^Well said.  I keep telling my dad this!!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

People are just going to have to wear masks, distance and wash hands for the next 9-12 months. It just is. We have to do it. It makes people testy and want to blame someone.

A few things I hope last post-pandemic and not just the next 9-12 months:

1) People actually washing their hands. The amount of men who don't after even using the bathroom is disgusting

2) Mask wearing in the winter. Not only prevents colds/flus during that time of the year, but keeps your face a lot warmer! Walking outside in sub freezing temperature with wind to work, there was nothing you could really do about your face. Now we get two for one!

3) People standing far apart from each other when waiting in line. I always hated when people would stand RIGHT next to you in line for no reason when there was space to stand even 2 feet back. It's nice now to have a reason to tell someone to stop standing so close to me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

We'll all just do it because it's right. There is nothing wrong with continuing to flatten the curve which means reducing deaths. Nobody wants to see their parents or grandparents die alone from Covid. So we are going to do what we need to do.

I don't think someone in the London Blitz would have been able to say they are going to keep their lights on at night because they don't want to live in fear and they accept what god has in store. It doesn't work that way when we impact those around us with such choices.

So we'll all buckle up.  It's going to be a tough winter. But none of us are being drafted to fight in Vietnam or Europe or the Pacific... this is one of our generation's tough years. Let's all just deal with it and stop trying to direct anger at a "side".

The masks haven't stopped the spread. People aren't wearing them. It's been shown here many times. Any time there is a family get together the virus spreads. Instead of limiting it to 9-12 months how about we make it "until a vaccine that cures us of this virus exists."? People don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Society never mandated it before.

JMac population density is a real thing. It's hard to fit so many people into a small space while keeping them apart. Just wait until fire codes change after COVID 19. Oh yeah, Sandy Eggo doesn't get sub freezing temps. I think cold in Mexico is like 65F.

My father in law said HVAC standards and regulations were going to change...in April. Sure enough. Local schools can't operate on days with low quality air because due to COVID 19 their HVAC system was designed to pull air from outside instead of recirculate the internal air. Great idea until the air quality is hazardous.

EDIT: So ironic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fauci-divisive-nature-in-us-hampering-coronavirus-response/ar-BB19iERw

VDOT 53.37 

Yooper3.1

No, we can't have a reasonable discussion because you continue to defend a guy who is responsible for the unnecessary deaths of 200k Americans.

You're only proving spaniel's point.  You would have a good case that Trump is responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands by failing to provide clear, consistent leadership through this pandemic, particularly on the issue of masks.

But instead you engage in Trumpian hyperbole and blame all 200K American deaths on the president.  This is clearly incorrect.  Even looking back with 6 months of hindsight, it's hard to see what measures could have prevented COVID from entering our country and resulting in at least some deaths.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I hope at some point all levels of US government do a lessons learned on this absolute cluster.  Do I think this will happen or be be productive? No. But I would hope all sides can put aside the fighting and figure out where things went wrong and what we should do to prevent this from happening.

The masks haven't stopped the spread.

People aren't wearing them. 

People don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I never said they would STOP the spread. They SLOW the spread, they save lives.

People will need to wear them. Put your big boy pants on.

Grown ups need to learn how to wash their hands. It's not rocket science.

(why do you spend so much effort trying to imply there is nothing we can do? just do it and you may save a life.)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I never said they would STOP the spread. They save lives.

People will need to wear them. Put your big boy pants on.

Grown ups need to learn how to wash their hands. It's not rocket science.

(why do you spend so much effort trying to imply there is nothing we can do? just do it and you may save a life.)

I spend so much effort because people think there is something we can do. People have died. The masks haven't stopped it. I'm not saying there is nothing we can do. What we have done isn't enough to save lies. You're not accepting the fact that we've gone decades with numerous viruses being spread and it wasn't until 2020 we made masks mandatory. Why limit wearing masks to 12 months? They should be mandatory indefinitely because what America has done in the past hasn't worked. How is it so hard to understand this? Vaccine or not. The next airborne virus can be prevented if we wear masks. Vaccines don't provide long term immunity so we all need to protect those around us. Haven't you paid attention to this thread? The testing has errors, the vaccine that hasn't been developed doesn't last long enough, working from home is working to slow the spread, distance learning is working, the layers of swiss cheese build on themselves. They aren't removed. Being outside without a mask on is irresponsible and I don't care what the temperature or humidity is. Mask up so you can save lives. At this point there is no reason to be outside without a mask on. It's obvious people aren't wearing masks when they're running/walking with friends. If everyone wore a mask everywhere we could protect everyone indefinitely. Not just the short term COVID 19. How long is society going to need to spread germs before you realize that. Keep everyone working from home.

either that or it's all just a bunch of bullshit spread during an election year and a new President will allow us to have an unmasked gathering in public to view Christmas trees being lit up, and allow us to visit family without warning us of the importance of distancing due to COVID 19.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

You're only proving spaniel's point.  You would have a good case that Trump is responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands by failing to provide clear, consistent leadership through this pandemic, particularly on the issue of masks.

But instead you engage in Trumpian hyperbole and blame all 200K American deaths on the president.  This is clearly incorrect.  Even looking back with 6 months of hindsight, it's hard to see what measures could have prevented COVID from entering our country and resulting in at least some deaths.

hold on now. I believe back in March and April masks weren't supposed to do anything.

Also, the Democratic candidate says he couldn't enforce a national mandate. Masks aren't the point to stick President Trump with. Joe Biden even expects another 215,000 dead by January.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-mask-mandate-change-town-hall

first article from a search of "cdc mask mandate change" so don't look into it being from fox news.

closing the borders to international travel could have slowed the spread. Last time President Trump restricted travel it was labeled as a "Muslim Ban" and not as protecting us from anything.

VDOT 53.37