The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

I spend so much effort because people think there is something we can do. People have died. The masks haven't stopped it. I'm not saying there is nothing we can do. What we have done isn't enough to save lies. You're not accepting the fact that we've gone decades with numerous viruses being spread and it wasn't until 2020 we made masks mandatory. Why limit wearing masks to 12 months? They should be mandatory indefinitely because what America has done in the past hasn't worked. How is it so hard to understand this? Vaccine or not. The next airborne virus can be prevented if we wear masks. Vaccines don't provide long term immunity so we all need to protect those around us. Haven't you paid attention to this thread? The testing has errors, the vaccine that hasn't been developed doesn't last long enough, working from home is working to slow the spread, distance learning is working, the layers of swiss cheese build on themselves. They aren't removed. Being outside without a mask on is irresponsible and I don't care what the temperature or humidity is. Mask up so you can save lives. At this point there is no reason to be outside without a mask on. It's obvious people aren't wearing masks when they're running/walking with friends. If everyone wore a mask everywhere we could protect everyone indefinitely. Not just the short term COVID 19. How long is society going to need to spread germs before you realize that. Keep everyone working from home.

either that or it's all just a bunch of bullshit spread during an election year and a new President will allow us to have an unmasked gathering in public to view Christmas trees being lit up, and allow us to visit family without warning us of the importance of distancing due to COVID 19.

See the source image

It really helps me to understand this screed when I add an image to aid in the message delivery.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I know, right? Wouldn't it be lovely if we had a coordinated and consistent national approach?

Trent Locally schools are about to close 100% and go full online. High school seniors are protesting that other states allow sports, but my state doesn't. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Now can we get this for the rest of us? NFL coaches being fined for not wearing masks.

I really wish the TV stations would stop showing the sidelines. Don't focus in on the coaches improperly wearing masks.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I know, right? Wouldn't it be lovely if we had a coordinated and consistent national approach?

No actually. It would be horrible. You'd have one or two people making the decision for EVERYONE and that doesn't work for healthcare and disease prevention very often. What works for Wyoming might not work for New York.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Now can we get this for the rest of us? NFL coaches being fined for not wearing masks.

I really wish the TV stations would stop showing the sidelines. Don't focus in on the coaches improperly wearing masks.

Why not show the people who aren't wearing masks? This thread has been horrible about ignoring people who aren't wearing masks in public. I really wish there was some clear understanding of who has to wear a mask and when. NFL players don't, elected officials don't even when they're mandated (Looking at you Steve Sisolak), and runners don't have to. oh and dick noses whatever that is.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

See the source image

It really helps me to understand this screed when I add an image to aid in the message delivery.

The hat is the wrong color.

If we accepts masks as helping to stop the spread of airborne diseases why would we go BACK to NOT wearing them? How can you say 9-12 months? If 12 months from now we're still without a vaccine for COVID 19 are you going to support not wearing masks anymore because they've not stopped or slowed the spread of anything? I don't understand what you're trying to say by adding the image when I'm saying the masks are here to stay forever and we need to get use to them.

Maybe the CDC should just stop testing people so we can stop having positive test results. It worked in the past.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

CDC doesn't test anybody.

Maybe the CDC should just stop testing people so we can stop having positive test results. It worked in the past.

In 9-12 months a vaccine is expected to be widely available. I assumed that was obvious.

Running Problem

Problem Child

CDC doesn't test anybody.

shows what I know about the CDC. You're always good at pointing out my lack of intelligence. It's good to have you around so I don't screw up saying things. The CDC should just tell states to stop testing. Just like they did with Swine Flu H1N1 pdm09 virus.

in other news....England is going back to locking more stuff down. They have one national level of doing things from what it looks like.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/europe/europe-top-stories/uk-enacting-tighter-restrictions-amid-covid-19-surge/ar-BB19iOr4?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Bars have started opening in some states. Looks like the States are doing things the wrong way and we DO need the President to have absolute control over what can and cannot be opened. Screw all those "states rights" arguments because this is a pandemic and President Donald Trump needs to have absolute unquestioned control over business openings and closures. I'm sure that will go over well with the "non-red hat wearing" crowd right now.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I mean, I guess you are right that the CDC tests a few people, but those are just random locals right by their offices. MOST ALL testing is done in private healthcare settings or health departments run by cities or states.

Statistically, CDC tests nobody.

shows what I know about the CDC. You're always good at pointing out my lack of intelligence. It's good to have you around so I don't screw up saying things. The CDC should just tell states to stop testing. Just like they did with Swine Flu H1N1 pdm09 virus.

Running Problem

Problem Child

In 9-12 months a vaccine is expected to be widely available. I assumed that was obvious.

I haven't heard ANYTHING about a vaccine being available that soon.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/health/2020/08/25/covid-vaccine-race-experts-steady-progress-worry-logistics-distribution/3389988001/

A month ago USA today say's we're halfway there.

"This month, the 15 estimates ranged from 4 a.m. to a highly optimistic 10 a.m. The median was 6 a.m."

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/in-depth/quixplained-when-will-a-covid-19-vaccine-be-ready-a-look-at-the-progress-of-top-candidates/ar-BB19hHhz

This says it has gone from next year to this year.

"Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine candidate is expected to be available by November or December 2020"

So we could have it next month and be mask free before Christmas. Sorry I don't know where you got your information on when it would be widely available because I can't find anything narrowing it down to June - September 2021

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I mean, I guess you are right that the CDC tests a few people, but those are just random locals right by their offices. MOST ALL testing is done in private healthcare settings or health departments run by cities or states.

Statistically, CDC tests nobody.

I just want to make sure I'm saying the right things. Both here and at work what I say apparently isn't understood correctly, or I'm saying it all wrong.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/national/i-did-make-a-mistake-pm-admits-breaking-social-distancing-rules/ar-BB19eIwr?ocid=uxbndlbing

oh look. More elected officials going around without wearing masks. Why is it this virus won't stop spreading? Is it those mask mandates? The red hats? I can't understand how masks are helping at this point. Make it voluntary because it obviously is for the people making the rules.

VDOT 53.37 

I haven't heard ANYTHING about a vaccine being available that soon.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/health/2020/08/25/covid-vaccine-race-experts-steady-progress-worry-logistics-distribution/3389988001/

A month ago USA today say's we're halfway there.

"This month, the 15 estimates ranged from 4 a.m. to a highly optimistic 10 a.m. The median was 6 a.m."

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/in-depth/quixplained-when-will-a-covid-19-vaccine-be-ready-a-look-at-the-progress-of-top-candidates/ar-BB19hHhz

This says it has gone from next year to this year.

"Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine candidate is expected to be available by November or December 2020"

So we could have it next month and be mask free before Christmas. Sorry I don't know where you got your information on when it would be widely available because I can't find anything narrowing it down to June - September 2021

It was all over the news last week when the CDC said a vaccine should be widely available in the middle of 2021. You can probably find this same story on 15 media outlets. I'm surprised you didn't see it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vaccine-distribution-trump-administration/

Then Trump went out to say the CDC was wrong, and it should be available in April. But I don't think anyone really pays attention to what he says about a vaccine delivery, he's just being a politician. At one point he said it could be available by election day.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-contradicts-cdc-director-covid-19-vaccine-masks/

Running Problem

Problem Child

It was all over the news last week when the CDC said a vaccine should be widely available in the middle of 2021. You can probably find this same story on 15 media outlets. I'm surprised you didn't see it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vaccine-distribution-trump-administration/

Then Trump went out to say the CDC was wrong, and it should be available in April. But I don't think anyone really pays attention to what he says about a vaccine delivery, he's just being a politician. At one point he said it could be available by election day.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-contradicts-cdc-director-covid-19-vaccine-masks/

I don't trust the CDC for very much when it comes to COVID 19 other than to change their mind. I wouldn't be shocked if they come out and say they retract what they said about the vaccine coming out. "sorry folks. this is a developing situation. we are making decisions as the information comes in. we will update you when the vaccine is ready."

edit: oh yeah....the development of the vaccine is to help Donald Trump's reelection

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cdc-vaccine-plan-covid-19_n_5f620b85c5b68d1b09ca68c5

Only about half of Americans said they’d get vaccinated in an Associated Press poll taken in May. Of those who wouldn’t get vaccinated, the overwhelming majority said they were worried about safety. To effectively protect the nation from the coronavirus, experts say upwards of 70% of Americans must either be vaccinated or have their own immunity from fighting off COVID-19.

Since the poll, questions have only mounted about whether the government is trying to rush COVID-19 treatments and vaccines to help President Donald Trump’s reelection chances.

In the AP poll, 1 in 5 Americans said they would not get a coronavirus vaccine, and 31% said they were unsure.

soooooooo.....that vaccine is going to protect 20% of the population. 80% will be walking around unvaccinated so why would you think we wouldn't have to wear masks at that point? 

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In the end, we have no idea if or when a vaccine will be available. Period.

There are 9 candidates in Phase III trials, none more than a couple months. One has already been halted due to serious safety concerns, and may ultimately get derailed. The trials are all generally 2 year trials, meaning that the only way we will have an answer earlier is if there is  substantial and fast evidence of either a strong protective effect, or no change of a protective effect. Assuming one of these vaccines does emerge as being effective AND that it sails quickly through FDA approval, there are all the issues with manufacturing, distribution, and administration Spaniel and others have mentioned. In short, there is no pipeline or infrastructure for any of this at the moment. Assuming an effective vaccine, we could still build all that out in the next 9 months, but it would take strong and trusted leadership and support at all levels of society. These are not features I currently see in our nation.