The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

But that only removes risk for 1 person. The dozens of kids all picking through candy in the same bowl and gathering in groups around said bowl are not free of risk in this scenario.

I agree. But I figure anyone who actually wants to trick or treat assumes the risk. I can also just turn off all the lights in the front of the house and hope people take the hint.

Kalsarikännit

The dozens of kids 

You’re very optimistic that an unattended bowl of candy survives past the first three people.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Half Crazy K 2.0

You’re very optimistic that an unattended bowl of candy survives past the first three people.

It totally depends on the kids & if there is parental supervision. We've been in our house 20 years. The first 5-10 years, we would easily go through at least 5 jumbo bags of candy. Recently, we don't even go through 1. We'll hold the bowl out to the kids so they can pick. They take 1 piece, we then beg them to take more and they take 1 other piece.

Running Problem

Problem Child

No, we can't have a reasonable discussion because you continue to defend a guy who is responsible for the unnecessary deaths of 200k Americans. He KNEW what we were facing at the beginning of the year and lied to us all. He continues to lie. THERE ARE TAPES (video, even). And his sycophants eat this shit up and blame everyone else for our nation's woes.

We never flattened the curve. Not nationwide. Some states continue to rise. We're still on the first wave. NZ is preparing to open up again. They did it right -- twice. They get to open. We cannot open because of too damned many American exceptionalists in red hats. And we have no consistent leadership at the top. It's embarrassing. We're the shithole nation no one will visit and we aren't welcome in most of the world.

You know what really sucks? Reading daily comments such as "only old people, disabled, and people with underlying conditions are at risk"...and being one of those people. And knowing the the majority of my community would like to see me sacrificed for herd immunity. I didn't spend the last 3.5 years losing parts of 2 organ systems over 4 surgeries, and undergo months of permanently damaging/disfiguring poisoning and radiation and countless uncomfortable, risky, and humiliating procedures...and missing time with friends and family and fearing for my very existence...for this. 2020 was the year I was getting my life back and registering for my full array of races. This fucking sucks. You have no idea.

I must have misunderstood this to mean your family has not come to visit you for fear of your very existence.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

nailed it.

I guess I'm confused.  Isn't Trick-or-Treating, done the traditional way, fairly safe?  Small family pods walk from house to house....I as a homeowner can set a pot of candy out and then stand back while they pick what they want?  This is even the one day of year where many people normally wear masks.

(now admittedly, the way that Halloween has evolved into inside group parties for kids....that is not a good idea this year, IMHO)

Locally groups of friends will go out together. Sometimes on a trailer pulled by a truck or all terrain vehicle. Historically I went out with friends from school miles from my house. It's not uncommon for cars to drive kids to a neighborhood, then drive to the next neighborhood so the kids get more candy from more neighborhoods. These are the same kids who can't go to school because they might catch COVID 19. Don't forget about Halloween parties. Our local head of the health district recommended opening bars finally (after they'd been closed/opened a few times) because it would cut down on the number of house parties he blamed for spreading covid 19.....because at least a bar has an organized sanitization regime whereas the house party doesn't.

Not a lot of social distancing going on when I'd be handing out candy to a bunch of strangers I never see and don't associated with all year long. This would be comparable to going to a graduation ceremony, backyard barbeque, parade, concert, or hiking where I'd be in close proximity to everyone. Maybe I could toss it to them BUT I'd expect candy during COVID 19 to be under even MORE scrutiny than the typical "don't eat unwrapped candy. there was once this guy who handed out ecstacy pills and candy bars laced with meth/lsd that I heard about" stories circulating the internet.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/09/los-angeles-bans-halloween-trick-or-treating-due-to-covid-19/

LA Banned it

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/will-halloween-in-seattle-be-canceled-by-covid-19-not-exactly-but-heres-how-the-holiday-will-be-different/

Seattle is thinking about banning it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/ct-ptb-merrillville-no-trick-or-treating-st-0924-20200923-kwv222wcozbpnpowwikgkobxri-story.html

Other places are also thinking about it.

I really DON'T understand how we can allow a bunch of strangers to come to my door when they can't go to class and it's been noted many times here how many people aren't wearing masks in society. Seriously. I don't understand the "well we can do this, but not that because that causes covid 19 to spread" when we're all looking for a vaccine as a requirement to go back to "normal" at this point. Since I wasn't suppose to go see family for Mother's Day, July 4th fireworks were canceled, Labor Day gatherings were discourage what possible reason could we have for considering halloween safe? Costumes?

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I thought COVID 19 didn't spread from surfaces.  Has the CDC changed their mind about that now that halloween is coming up?  An unattended bowl of candy would probably be the BEST option if trick or treating was to survive and COVID 19 can't spread while outdoors since masks aren't required for a dog walk.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mikeymike

I’m just waiting for the check that Soros sent me to clear.

I set up direct deposit for my antifa checks. You should look into that

Runners run

rlopez

rlopez People don't want to wear a mask in your store? Is that something like not wearing a shirt or shoes in your store? I don't see how it is any different.

Cool you don't see the difference. Most people do and based on copious evidence, you don't really want to discuss anything and I'm certainly not getting into it with you. You'll just beat this thing over and over and over. But yeah, most people who are not you kind of get the difference.

rlopez

But that only removes risk for 1 person. The dozens of kids all picking through candy in the same bowl and gathering in groups around said bowl are not free of risk in this scenario.

Also, if I set a bowl of candy outside, I might as well not put out any because a couple teens will swiftly take it all.

rlopez

Also what she said.

Also, if I set a bowl of candy outside, I might as well not put out any because a couple teens will swiftly take it all.

I plan to repurpose my t-shirt cannon to chamber fun size snickers, set that sucker to full auto and hit the little shits from the safety of my porch

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

rlopez

I plan to repurpose my t-shirt cannon to chamber fun size snickers, set that sucker to full auto and hit the little shits from the safety of my porch

Be careful or you will be accused of being in favor of brutality.

Be careful or you will be accused of being in favor of brutality.

No accusation required, I freely admit I'm a fan

Hey though, do you remember a poster from way back named brutal. That guy took a beating on a regular basis

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, I feel really dumb when I try to use the Hopkins tracker. I tried looking at state level data and just couldn't seem to do it. Granted, this is all for me to look at personally. I work for one of their affiliates, so I get multiple e-mails with updates.

It's probably the best for national level data and some other uses, but you're right, it's not as easy to navigate to state level data.  Here are a couple other trackers better for that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

https://infection2020.com/?fbclid=IwAR23aJiBXNNfbyvsoCXmCMXwL6Fzp1LX32n3kPPKsrVLRULJl6mAYbuhZG8

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

rlopez

No accusation required, I freely admit I'm a fan

Hey though, do you remember a poster from way back named brutal. That guy took a beating on a regular basis

Yes, but come to my free-for-all (not covid) booze and waffles thread to reminisce about good ol brutal.

DavePNW

If you feel this nation is such a sh**hole perhaps you should leave.  That's an option, you know.

In 2016 no one hated America more, or thought it was more of a shithole, than Donald Trump. I sure wish he had taken your advice.

Dave