Biker Killed - Runner Injured (Read 1224 times)

Top 'O the World!

The driver of the truck told police that he "couldn’t see the pair with the morning sun in his eyes", yet he still chose to pass another vehicle? WTF? Stupidity claims another life, both on the part of the driver and on the cop who let him go. Tom
    That's totally my take!! ref ipods/earbuds: here's another side note: I run w/a deaf friend who takes her hearing aides out because sweat makes them squeal! I can hear better w/earbuds than she can...we stay to the side of the road in either case & just try to be more aware..... ref bicycles on the road: they should have the same rights as other "vehicles" on the road - always! Around here, we see lots of cyclists training & road races/runs....residents know to watch for them.....and they wear such brightly colored clothing!!
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Insert witty title here

I think you'll find that most cyclists on the road are traveling at speeds in the 20-25 mph range. That's not a whole lot slower than traffic on most roads. If you need to swerve to miss them risking a horrific crash, you should probably pay more attention to your driving. Unless there is a dedicated bike lane, cyclists belong on the road, not sharing the sidewalk with slow moving pedestrians. Tom
      I'm not sure what country town you live in, but most roads are nowhere near 20-25 mph. When the speed limit is 45-55, bikes are a LOT slower than traffic. I don't think bikes belong anywhere except dedicated bike trails, but my point was if that's not going to happen at least restrict them to sidewalks because the difference in biker/pedestrian speed is much closer than that of biker/car. As for paying attention, I do that just fine thank you, but when I come around a corner doing the speed limit of 45 and come up on 10 bikes going less than half of the speed limit all the sudden I'm in a dangerous situation.
      In NC cyclist have all the laws and responsibilities of a moving vehicle placed on them. ie drink and bike you get a DUI, run a red light on a bike you get a ticket. Sidewalks are also very narrow places. there is no way you can fit 2 bikes on that. As for speeds people have it right. Most cyclists who are on the roads are usually in the 20+ range. While that may seem slow it really isn't. Having to wait that one second to pass is easily made up when the driver guns the engine to get around, cause god knows it's so difficult to pass a 18" wide vehicle going 21mph on the shoulder. If anyone should be throwing a fit about slowing traffic it should be about the scooters that do 30 and take up the ENTIRE lane. As a cyclist I'm given the shoulder and yet I get screamed at for being on it.... but put an engine on it and it's OK... People really need to go back and look at the DOT handbook and see how much they really don't know.
      It's the same here too, but very few bikers obey the law and cops never issue citations to them. As for the speed my complaint isn't about having to slow down for a few seconds, it's about bikers making it unsafe for drivers who are the ones roads were designed for in the first place. I've seen way too many accidents and near-accidents caused that were 100% the fault of a biker who was technically obeying the law, but still being unsafe because they were on the road. I hate that it happened to the guy in the story at the start of this topic and would obviously never wish that on anyone, but it's another example where if he had stayed off the road he would still be alive. As my first comment said, just because it's legal does not mean it's smart.

ThomasRuns Blog
      Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Top 'O the World!

Sorry, I just have to say this......, roads were NOT designed just for cars...roads, designed for public transportation of all sorts, have been in existance for much longer than Americans' NOW favorite mode of transportation.....
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          What a horrible accident. I hope she is able to do the marathon she was training for. This discussion reminds me of an incident we had in my area recently where 2 young adults were walking on the wrong side of the road at night, one of them got hit by a car, and the walker who got hit was cited for walking on the wrong side of the road, and nothing happened to the driver.
            I didn't know there was a wrong side of the road to walk on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm just thinking of the rural roads in my town (no sidewalks). The speed limit is 45, but most people go faster than that. The roads are VERY narrow, twisting, and hilly. No shoulders at all. They just do not seem safe to bike on, yet I see lots of bikers there, sometimes two abreast. Sometimes there is NO way to pass them safely for a pretty good distance. It seems like a recipe for disaster.
              2 abreast is legal in most states. And if people are driving faster than the 45mph speed limit they are breaking the law...just because everyone does it, doesn't mean it's OK. If it's not safe to pass a bike, then one needs to stay behind until it is--same as if one is following a slow-moving car or motorcycle. The law doesn't change because the vehicle has 2 wheels instead of 4.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Right on Hereford...

Inappropriate comment
                  I'm not sure what country town you live in, but most roads are nowhere near 20-25 mph. When the speed limit is 45-55, bikes are a LOT slower than traffic. I don't think bikes belong anywhere except dedicated bike trails, but my point was if that's not going to happen at least restrict them to sidewalks because the difference in biker/pedestrian speed is much closer than that of biker/car. As for paying attention, I do that just fine thank you, but when I come around a corner doing the speed limit of 45 and come up on 10 bikes going less than half of the speed limit all the sudden I'm in a dangerous situation. .
                  So, you are saying that a 20 mph difference is unacceptable between cars and bicycles, but it's ok between bicycles and pedestrians? I don't see the logic there, especially when a lot of those pedestrians are children. Bicycles will always be allowed on the roads because that's where it's the safest for all involved to ride them. Tom
                    TNthomas, you are a fucking idiot.
                    /popcorn

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Running Dad

It's the same here too, but very few bikers obey the law and cops never issue citations to them. As for the speed my complaint isn't about having to slow down for a few seconds, it's about bikers making it unsafe for drivers who are the ones roads were designed for in the first place. I've seen way too many accidents and near-accidents caused that were 100% the fault of a biker who was technically obeying the law, but still being unsafe because they were on the road. I hate that it happened to the guy in the story at the start of this topic and would obviously never wish that on anyone, but it's another example where if he had stayed off the road he would still be alive. As my first comment said, just because it's legal does not mean it's smart.
                      That's such an Anti-Cycling thing to say. Lets look at your first sentence> It's the same here too as in reference to cyclists being afforded the same rights as a vehicle. You've said it yourself. Yet you want to say that a slower moving vehicle, be it a cyclist doing 25mph or a blue hair doing 25mph in a Cadillac, are the ones making it unsafe. No where on my license does it say that everyone else should watch out for me. As a cyclist I'm allowed on the road no matter the speed limit. I try to stay away from roads that are in excess of 45 but sometimes I have no choice. Be as it may, I am still allowed by law to be on said highway. It is the responsibility of everyone that uses the roads to be aware of their surroundings and situations. I'm so tired of people saying it's the cyclists fault when there is a wreck, collision, fatality. Yes I'm sure that sometimes it is yet more often than not it's the driver of the vehicle. I can point out numerous blind spots on a vehicle that most drivers take for granted that no one is next to them. This happened to me as a van tried to run over my wife and kids. Yet he was at fault pulling out into traffic, we were the traffic, needless to say it took everything I had to not beat this guys head in. But that's beside the point. Point is stupid things happen because people act stupid and irresponsible. You don't own the road simply because you are driving. You are simply using it along with everyone else out there. It takes everyone of us, cyclists included, to work together so that things like this don't happen.
                      Things to do this year:
                      Not get an injury
                      Things done this year:
                      Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                      xor

Before this gets all out of hand about cyclists rights to ride on roads and who roads are designed for, let's all put it back in our pants for a sec. There ARE roads that nonmotorized vehicles aren't allowed on. Roads that were designed specifically for cars and trucks. Our wonderful Interstate Highway System. The tricky thing is that bikes aren't allowed on "certain" interstates and sections of interstate and one needs to know the rules. It's much trickier when we start talking about sidewalks. I grew up in Texas where it was illegal to ride on the sidewalk, at least in the places I lived. Imagine my surprise when I got to Seattle and found that it is legal (and sometimes dangerous as hell) to ride on the sidewalks. As for being "anti-cycling", I try not to be. I really do. Some... a small minority... of cyclists make this hard. Especially downtown. They do NOT follow the rules of the road. They run lights. They swerve in and out of traffic. They do everything they can to make everybody hate them. Why? Because they have somewhere to be right away! Which is exactly the bad logic that gets speeding, unsafe drivers in trouble. A small minority of cyclists do this, but it makes a big impression on those of us who deal with downtown every day. But guess what. None of that rationalizes what happened to the poor dude and dudette who got hit by the passing truck. Tragic.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Seeing all of this is one of the many reasons I've been afraid to bike.....I have a decent little-used Trek gathering dust at my parents' house....

TRUST THE PROCESS

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I didn't know there was a wrong side of the road to walk on.
                            In Maine, it is now illegal to walk or run on the side of the road WITH traffic. It's a new law, and people don't seem to know about it.

Old, Slow, Happy

O.K. Here I am. I am a runner and I ride a bicycle. I enjoy both. On my bike, I am a "roadie". This means I like to go fast. When I come to a stop sign or light. I slow a bit to be sure things are safe. If I can't see, I slow a bunch until I know I can go. I don't want to shift down through all the gears and snap out of the pedals if I don't need to and....I don't like to slow down. It take awhile to get back to speed. I live in a rural area and the towns are small. I don't know what I'd do in the city. I have people yelling at me from cars whether I'm running or riding. Some drivers are careful, some are not. Some of them think it's fun to try to scare me. All I know is that whether I'm running or riding, I'm gonna lose to a car eveytime. Now to the start of this thread. It is a terrible thing that a car hit these people. The driver should have been more careful. However, accidents happen every day. They don't always involve runners and bicyclists. Each accident is the result of someone doing something wrong. It is done without intent. I'm sure that more drivers are involved in accidents on any given day that are runners and cyclists. Let's chalk it up to being an accident, in which someone did something wrong unintentionally, and move on.

Insert witty title here

TNthomas, you are a fucking idiot.
                                If you disagree with me that's fine, but let's be mature about it and actually have a constructive conversation here. Throwing out that kind of comment does nothing to further the dialog.
                                So, you are saying that a 20 mph difference is unacceptable between cars and bicycles, but it's ok between bicycles and pedestrians? I don't see the logic there, especially when a lot of those pedestrians are children. Bicycles will always be allowed on the roads because that's where it's the safest for all involved to ride them. Tom
                                I know there are some who do ride 20-25 mph, but I'd say most of the bikes that I come up on are more in the 10-15 mph range. And just to clarify again, I don't think they should be allowed on sidewalks either, but if we're going to compromise so they have somewhere to ride I think it's safer than on a road with motorized vehicles. We will have to agree to disagree Wink
                                Yet you want to say that a slower moving vehicle, be it a cyclist doing 25mph or a blue hair doing 25mph in a Cadillac, are the ones making it unsafe.
                                Absolutely. Everyone wants to latch onto that old saying "Speed Kills" and sometimes it does. But I think those going significantly slower (regardless of how many wheels) are often the ones who are more dangerous. Someone going 50 in a 70 who insists on being in the far left lane is far more dangerous than someone going 75 in a 70. Just like the bike situation it's legal (going 50 in a 70), but in my opinion it's still dangerous and therefore not the smart thing to do. That in NO WAY takes away the responsibility of drivers to pay attention and watch out for others. I'm not trying to say that at all, but if you're on a bike, skooter, motorcycle or walking then you are much smaller than the typical traffic and therefore are already at a disadvantage because you're physically harder to see. Why should all the burden be on the driver to pay extra attention just because YOU chose a mode of transportation that makes you harder to see? The driver should absolutely pay attention and look out for you, but the responsibility to pay extra attention falls on the biker who knows they are harder to see.
                                Sorry, I just have to say this......, roads were NOT designed just for cars...roads, designed for public transportation of all sorts, have been in existance for much longer than Americans' NOW favorite mode of transportation.....
                                What I meant was roads as we know them today are designed for cars in that the materials used, calculations for curves and speed limits are all based on motorized vehicles using them. I would think the only time the road builders take a bike into consideration would be if there's a bike lane being built on the side.
                                /popcorn
                                Mmmmmm.. popcorn. Ok I guess I've beat this dead horse enough. I didn't mean to piss anyone off, but I've never seen a dialog about this issue and thought it was time to have one given the topic. It's obviously not an issue with a clear-cut answer, but I think it's good to discuss it and hear everyone's views on it.

ThomasRuns Blog
                                Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]