VERY Unhappy with Garmin 310XT (Read 323 times)

Evolving body parts

I haven't uploaded using Garmin connection software for about a year.  I use Uploader, which lets me upload to my Android phone.  From there I can upload to Garmin Connect, Running Ahead and several other services.

That's nice - if you have an ANT+ enable phone.

Ah, I don't have an internal ANT+ chip, but I do use a usb/ANT+ dongle.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3.

rlopez

Yes, I just got a Galaxy 3 a couple weeks ago and I've been looking at the same stuff.

Theoretically, you just plug your ant stick into the phone and magic happens. Good to see that someone else got it going.

SRL: I got this adapter to use with this ANT+ device.

Evolving body parts

SRL: I got this adapter to use with this ANT+ device.

It does look tempting especially considering the mobility. My Ant stick is stuck in my home PC. Don't want to take it out for fear of loosing the darn thing. But if it's attached to a dongle... I don't know. This whole Ant+ story seems dead end to me. It's okay though - apart from the shaky data transfer, I love my 310xt.

I do like the mobility.  For example, after a marathon I usually head right to the airport for my return flight.  While awaiting my flight I upload my data.  Plus, I use Linux at home, so I would have to bring up Virtual Box and then bring up Windows within Virtual Box which is a pain, or I could wait until I go into the office where we use Windows.  Just a lot simpler to upload to my phone.

By the way, I just noticed that one can also use Uploader to upload activity from the 305 which I hadn't realized.  I thought the software only worked with ANT+ but that is not the case.  I still have a 305 that I use as a spare.

Runslowalksalot

I've done everything you have as well as a hard reset, twice, losing lots of data in the process.  The garmin express is marginally better than ant agent.  Just be sure to delete the ant agent as well as uninstall it once you upload express.   I've had my 310xt for a couple of years.   Uploading data is Is like trying to please a high maintenance woman.   Results are spotty at best.     It'll work for a while, then stop unexpectedly, then after a random amount of time passes, it will start working again for no apparent reason.

I have found that deleting data soon after its uploaded keeps it happy. 

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

So, I've struggled through every issue with the 310XT and was hating it. Every time I'd get it working again after a hard reset, it would start having issues again  Wouldn't download data, wouldn't connect, constantly having to re-pair the device and ANT.

I'd also read that the data gets corrupted or whatever and deleting the old data helped. So now I just delete the old run from the watch once it's been uploaded into RA. I do it after every run and there have been no more problems. I walk near the computer, the watch does it's buzzy thing, open RA, it sees the watch, downloads the data and afterwards I delete the old workout from the 310XT.

I hope this works for everyone.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hard reset

re-installed gamin plugin and ant agent

You may be able to skip 1st two steps

login to RA

go upload page

open ant agent

enable device

go to settings on watch andpair

When agent finds device- pair watch

while watch is pairing  hit RA connect.

All three things should happen at the same time.

I spent oven an hour getting this to work. Hope it will work tomorrow.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

So, I've struggled through every issue with the 310XT and was hating it. Every time I'd get it working again after a hard reset, it would start having issues again  Wouldn't download data, wouldn't connect, constantly having to re-pair the device and ANT.

I'd also read that the data gets corrupted or whatever and deleting the old data helped. So now I just delete the old run from the watch once it's been uploaded into RA. I do it after every run and there have been no more problems. I walk near the computer, the watch does it's buzzy thing, open RA, it sees the watch, downloads the data and afterwards I delete the old workout from the 310XT.

I hope this works for everyone.

34 runs later, still working.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Do you want Garmin Connect API integration for RunningAhead? (Read 224 times) DONATE !

I will give it a try tomorrow.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Thanks for all the info.  I'd like to get a couple of runs I did in Hawaii downloaded before I do a hard reset, but I don't think it's going to happen.  I'll give it one more try, then do the hard reset and see what happens.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

310XT does not show reset. Held down reset and mode for 3 seconds. Released buttons. Garmin shuts off for a second. Power back on. Does not ask about reset. Did not upload,again..

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

I am too struggling with uploads to RA (on Win 7 64-bit). The data are transferred to Garmin connect okay, but then the Chrome, plugin cannot find the 310XT. My workaround:

1. Right-click the Ant icon

2. Exit

3. Start the Ant agent again

4. Turn on 'Pairing with new devices enabled' - or something to that effect

5. Reload page - and voila, 310XT is right there, I can upload to RA.

This may also have to do with the crippled plugin functionality in Chrome.

Limping Monkey - I had the same problem (different garmin model though) -- the issue is with the Chrome Browser. Try Firefox or IE -- download the plugin for the new browser. Should work after this.

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.