handheld water bottles (Read 1354 times)

The past several years on my longer runs, when it's warmer, I would carry an 8 or 12 oz off the shelf disposable water bottle. I keep them around so that I can refill them with gatorade before a run if I want. I used a Camelbak backpack this summer to do some trail running but found that even for two or three hours I could manage on less than a liter when the temperatures were below 70. I'm looking at buying some handheld water bottles with the straps for some big trail runs. Fuel belts don't really interest me because they bounce too much. I'm looking in the 15-25 oz range per bottle.

What do people recommend? 

Get Lost :)

I have a Nathan Quickdraw Plus and an Ultimate Direction thingy. They both "work" fine.

an amazing likeness

Isaiah -- I'll bet you'll find some helpful information for you about handheld water in this recent discussion thread:

If you carry a bottle, I have questions

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ultimate Direction bottles with the kicker valve work pretty well.

These are insulated and have a key pocket. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

RunsForCake

I really like the Amphipod model.

I also use the Amphipod belt for when I go longer and don't want to hold onto the bottle.

back in the 80's, I used to occasionally run with 1 lb hand weights that were endorsed by Craig Virgin (a great runner in his day). They were like weight lifting gloves with a 1/2 lb weight on the palm and another 1/2 lb on the back of the hand. The claim behind them is that you expended up to 5% more energy carrying these 1 lb weights in your hands while running. At the time, I was mainly running to lose weight for wrestling. They were also handy in smacking country dogs up side the head if they got too close, but I digress.

So, aren't any of you concerned that you're expending more energy swinging these 8-12 oz water bottles for miles upon miles?  Even a 1 or 2% difference can really affect your marathon time.

I ask becuase I'm torn what to do for the marathon. I really want to carry my own water/drink, but I don't enjoy wearing fuel belt, and i don't want to carry a bottle.   I'll probably end up wearing the fuel belt for the first 20 or so, then just suck it up from there. 

Maniac

back in the 80's, I used to occasionally run with 1 lb hand weights that were endorsed by Craig Virgin (a great runner in his day). They were like weight lifting gloves with a 1/2 lb weight on the palm and another 1/2 lb on the back of the hand. The claim behind them is that you expended up to 5% more energy carrying these 1 lb weights in your hands while running. At the time, I was mainly running to lose weight for wrestling. They were also handy in smacking country dogs up side the head if they got too close, but I digress.

So, aren't any of you concerned that you're expending more energy swinging these 8-12 oz water bottles for miles upon miles?  Even a 1 or 2% difference can really affect your marathon time.

I ask becuase I'm torn what to do for the marathon. I really want to carry my own water/drink, but I don't enjoy wearing fuel belt, and i don't want to carry a bottle.   I'll probably end up wearing the fuel belt for the first 20 or so, then just suck it up from there. 

What are you going to do with the fuel belt at that point?

I am curious, because I have a marathon (1st) in January.  For my first half marathon, I wore the same belt (nathan) thing that I use in training.  It works fine, but I really prefer running without it.  For the next two half marathons I went without it and just used the aid stations...It worked fine.

I'm a little more concerned about a marathon, though.  Where to put the gels, what if there aren't as many aid stations, etc., etc.

I have never used handhelds, so I don't have any input for the OP, but I did do the disposable water bottle thing for my first couple of runs....I didn't like that at all.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

What are you going to do with the fuel belt at that point?

I hope to see my wife/son late in the race and will toss it to them. The other thing I had in mind is that a running friend said he'd pace me the last 10K or so. I was "hoping" he wouldn't mind wearing it. He'll be fresh and more tolerant of a fuel belt. 

I

#artbydmcbride

I used to wear a camelbak around-the-waist water carrier.  It holds 28 oz. and didn't joggle around at all.   It isn't uncomfortable and hot like the backpack style.     Plus sucking the water through the tube was something I could do while at a full run, unlike drinking from a bottle.

Runners run

On a few of my training runs I started with two 20oz bottles of sports drink.  Their presence is felt.  You would have to weigh this against the benefit of being able to hyrdate at your pleasure. 

While I have never run with 8-12 oz, I do think you might reconsider 25oz.  Also, you said "bottles,"  so  you plan to carry 2 x 25 oz?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Maybe you could try this:

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Maybe you could try this:

Well, that would be one way to ensure my wife and son were able to spot me in the masses that run Chicago. 

The last time I ran the marathon, 1995, a guy in a cow costume was right beside me most of the way so that made it easy for her to "spot" me.  The cow beat me. How utterly embarassing...

I'm a little more concerned about a marathon, though.  Where to put the gels, what if there aren't as many aid stations, etc., etc.

I have never used handhelds, so I don't have any input for the OP, but I did do the disposable water bottle thing for my first couple of runs....I didn't like that at all.

Take a look at Race Ready shorts. They have plenty of room for gels, etc.

Also, a handheld bottle is great (for me). But it takes a good month or so of running with it before you start to forget it's there.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Maniac

Well, that would be one way to ensure my wife and son were able to spot me in the masses that run Chicago. 

The last time I ran the marathon, 1995, a guy in a cow costume was right beside me most of the way so that made it easy for her to "spot" me.  The cow beat me. How udderly embarassing...

fixed...Couldn't resist.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

The last time I ran the marathon, 1995, a guy in a cow costume was right beside me most of the way so that made it easy for her to "spot" me.  The cow beat me. How utterly embarassing...

I wouldn't be too embarrassed. When provoked, some cows can reach speeds of up to 20mph.