Do you run in the dark? (Read 404 times)

delicate flower

From October to April; Mon through Fri, Yes.

that.

<3

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I like it sometimes, but it gets old quick (and that's about to happen, since the time change will have me starting most of them after sundown).

I used to wear a headlamp, but found it less comfortable than just holding a handheld light.  I have one that has the beam set at a 90-degree angle to the body of the light, so I don't have to contort my hand to shine it in front of me.  Going to ask Santa for some Knuckle Lights this year.

I love the peace and quiet of pre-dawn and after-dark running (especially if it's a clear night - really spectacular light show in my rural area with almost no light clutter), but night after night, it gets tiresome.  And, as others have pointed out, it's a little tougher to get up to speed on tempo runs.  I think I subconsciously want to go slower since I can't see as much of the ground I'm covering.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I definitely prefer not to run in the dark.  I always run at 7 am, and before the time change it was still pretty dark.  The time change actually helped me out, now the sun is just rising as I leave my house.

I don't have very good night vision, and not being able to see well makes me nervous.

Leah, mother of dogs

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I dislike running in the dark and will only do it if I have to.  Never for training only for a race.

mta:  Okay, that's not counting the infrequent early morning runs with my husband up and down our

very well lit street.  

steph  

Latent Runner

As a trail runner I can say quite honestly, I prefer to run in daylight, if for no other reason than even with a very bright headlight, footing can be a bit sketchy after dark.  That said, I am an afternoon/evening runner, and even before the EDT to EST change over this last weekend, the sun was setting around 5:30 which in turn meant at least five or six miles after dark; tonight's run will start after it's already fully dark and I'll be doing my full ten miles in a pool of light maybe ten feet across and fifteen feet deep.

As much as I love winter running and snowshoe running, the whole lack of sunlight thing is pretty annoying.

Side note: Do y'all know what the fastest growing winter sport is here in New Hampshire?  Showshoe racing.  http://www.granitestatesnowshoeseries.org/

I ran the Kingman Farm Moonlight race last February, my first and so far only showshoe race, and I had a blast.  The Race MC stood up on a crate in the middle of the snowy woods (we'd had a bit over six inches of new snow that morning) and said, "It's twenty degrees, the wind is blowing, it's dark, the snow is deep, the trail is narrow, you're all wearing snowshoes and headlights, and you're all crazy!  Have a good race!"

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
            kettledrum

My observation is that running on roads in the dark at night is way more dangerous and nerve wracking than running in the dark in the morning. There's way more traffic in the evening, the drivers are going faster and they are more distracted.

This is my observation too while running through my large neighborhood.  If only it weren't so dang cold in the mornings during winter!

NHLA

I run races in the dark so I train in the dark.  Blue Ridge relay 210 miles no sleep. Head lamp and reflective vest with red LED lights.

Cross Country Series starts @ 6:30 pm  so it gets dark sometimes.

jfa

I run in the winter in the dark. Fortunately though, I can stay off busy roads. Either I run the boardwalk or through the streets of the local shore towns, which are mostly deserted of cars after Labor Day.

Latent Runner

I run races in the dark so I train in the dark.  Blue Ridge relay 210 miles no sleep. Head lamp and reflective vest with red LED lights.

Cross Country Series starts @ 6:30 pm  so it gets dark sometimes.

I ran with an "Ultra" team for the 205 mile Reach the Beach - NH Relay this year; three of my six legs saw me similarly adorned, Headlight, blinking red Taillight, and reflective "blinky vest".  It was just my luck as my second leg started at ~5:00 PM, just before it got dark, and my fourth leg started at ~5:00 AM and ended just after the sun came up; my other five teammates only had two legs so adorned.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                    • 2-mile: 13:49
                    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                    • 5-Mile: 37:24
                    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

On Saturday, I left the house at 6am for a long run without a headlamp.
                      The problem was that it was a new moon.

Wowsers.

The route was about as dark as I've ever run.  I'm not scared of the dark, but when you smell as skunk while running in the dark on mile 3 of 20, it kind of freaks you out a little knowing that you might either (1) step on a dead skunk and ruin the rest of your run (and your shoes), (2) find a live skunk and get sprayed and have what would end out being the worst run of your life, or (3) raise your heart rate in anticipation of having either #1 or #2 options above occur.

For me, I was lucky to have #3.

The next 1 1/2 hours of running in the dark were less worrisome.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I would probably change this question to:what percentage of your workouts do you spend running in the dark?  November - April it is probably 80% or more.

As a trail runner I can say quite honestly, I prefer to run in daylight, if for no other reason than even with a very bright headlight, footing can be a bit sketchy after dark.  That said, I am an afternoon/evening runner, and even before the EDT to EST change over this last weekend, the sun was setting around 5:30 which in turn meant at least five or six miles after dark; tonight's run will start after it's already fully dark and I'll be doing my full ten miles in a pool of light maybe ten feet across and fifteen feet deep.

As much as I love winter running and snowshoe running, the whole lack of sunlight thing is pretty annoying.

Side note: Do y'all know what the fastest growing winter sport is here in New Hampshire?  Showshoe racing.  http://www.granitestatesnowshoeseries.org/

I ran the Kingman Farm Moonlight race last February, my first and so far only showshoe race, and I had a blast.  The Race MC stood up on a crate in the middle of the snowy woods (we'd had a bit over six inches of new snow that morning) and said, "It's twenty degrees, the wind is blowing, it's dark, the snow is deep, the trail is narrow, you're all wearing snowshoes and headlights, and you're all crazy!  Have a good race!"

I've been eyeing the Kingman race.  Thing is, I grew up on the big beaver tail snowshoes and have never really come to terms with the modern ones.  To go even more modern to the running snowshoes?  I don't know if I can make that transition.  Thoughts?

ETA - I'm going to start a new thread for this...

Most runs are before work in the dark. (really hard to get a regular group together at 0'dark thirty every morning) Do get to see lots of awesome sunrises over the years. I'd prefer to run in the daylight, but it's easier to get the run in before work. Look forward to running during the daylight on Saturdays, because most long runs on Sunday start before the sun is up as well. Just the way it's worked out for the last 25 years.

Dislike running with a headlamp. Will on occasion run with a handheld if it's really dark, but for the most part my eyes get use to the dark.

Get off my porch

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How many people wear a headlamp?  I haven't really tried one.  I have a small handheld light I throw in my pocket and usually don't use it too much unless it is a really dark night and the road/trail is uneven.

I just got a headlamp a couple of weeks ago.  Comfort is not an issue; I hardly notice it.  I don't especially like to have the white light on, however, since I prefer the moonlight or streetlights.  Most of the time, it's on red blinky mode for safety.

I don't mind the headlamp, but I always wear it over a ball cap so I can't really feel the straps.  It would drive me nuts directly on my forehead.