Have I got long enough? (Read 1053 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I am running the London marathon 09 on April 26th. Will have sufficient time to start my training plan on Jan 01? I was meaning to start about now, but still have the flu and not managed to run this week. I was speaking to somoeone and he advised at least 10 x 20+milers. How do you guys think?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Purdey

Self anointed title

Will (I) have sufficient time to start my training plan on Jan 01?
      Yes.
      I was speaking to somoeone and he advised at least 10 x 20+milers. How do you guys think?
      This is ridiculous. Most people here, who are far better runners than me, would probably say that 3 x 20milers is the max needed. Some, very very good marathoners, will say that you don't really need a 20miler at all - you probably get the same benefit from a 17 miler. Mikey has made some awesome posts on this, but I can't be bothered to find them at the moment. MTA: Found. (In the sticky FAQ thread at the top.... ). It is here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/9fe264250d2148668f642edb3a96ad1f/0 and this is the gem I was thinking of: Nothing magical happens at 20 miles. You don't suddenly switch to burning fat over carbs or any other such physiobabble. You're always burning both, and the mix depends on effort/pace, not distance. Run a lot of weekly miles at low intensities and you'll become damned efficient and using fat as a fuel source to spare your glycogen. "The Wall" is purely a function of outrunning your fitness level. If you run the first 15 miles too fast, you'll hit the wall no matter how many long runs you've done over 20 miles. And if you go out slow enough you'll never hit it even if your longest run ever was 10 miles.

JimR

If you're already able to run 16 milers, you won't have a problem in the time you've allotted. Why need a plan at all? Just get your 3 or 4 or whatever big long runs in, a good mid week mid long and all the filler runs. You've got a solid running log anyway so you shouldn't have a problem. As for how many you need and how far...it's up to you. When Ed Whitlock ran his sub 3 hour marathon at 73 years of age, he had run twenty runs of 3 hours in length in the 60 days previous, his other runs were around 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Others say never both going over 18 miles. There's no 'right' answer here.
          Yes.MTA: Found. (In the sticky FAQ thread at the top.... ). It is here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/9fe264250d2148668f642edb3a96ad1f/0
          Thanks for posting that Purdey. To the OP - read that WHOLE thread. There is a lot of bickering and fighting, but in the end, I believe it is summed up very well. Awesome thread.
            Why need a plan at all?
            Cuz it's Eddy. He doesn't do anything halfway, he goes right over the top. The plan would be to LIMIT (over)training, not to establish minimums. I ran my first on three days a week, and just over 600 miles YTD for an early November marathon. You can easily be ready to finish on April 26th. And that's what I would recommend you do Eddy, train to finish and ENJOY your first. Stay healthy and off the bench, run relatively easy, finish strong with negative splits and ENJOY. There will be plenty of time to beat the crap out of yourself and set stretch time goals for subsequent marathons, but you only get one first. Just my two cents, best of luck to you however you proceed.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

There will be plenty of time to beat the crap out of yourself and set stretch time goals for subsequent marathons, but you only get one first. Just my two cents, best of luck to you however you proceed.
              Plus, if you do really crappy on your first marathon, then you'll PR the second one easily and make it seem like you're a much better runner than you really are...at least that was my experience.... Wink Overall, what I like that BD said is to point out to have fun with your first marathon. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to run such a prestigious event like London. Enjoy it and have fun. Listen to your body. With London being as big as it is (and elites gunning for the winning time) the only person I would be racing in an event that big, is myself.

Dave

Purdey is spot on with the comment on 20 milers. Figure on 3 with one of them done at a "fast finish" marathon pace for the last half. You've got plenty of time Eddy. You're building off a better base than me and I'm running one a month earlier. As long as you build back to 40-60 miles per week and get in the long runs, you'll be fine. What is your goal time?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nev

I am running the London marathon 09 on April 26th. Will have sufficient time to start my training plan on Jan 01? I was meaning to start about now, but still have the flu and not managed to run this week. I was speaking to somoeone and he advised at least 10 x 20+milers. How do you guys think?
                  Bloody hell Eddy 10 x 20+ milers- what are you trying to do, win the thing? Good luck, cant wait to see how you get on. Nev

Slow-smooth-fast

I will keep you all posted with how I am doing. GOing to set uo a marathon training blog. I will add it in my signature for you all top peruse. Please feel free to add comments and any feedback on the blog. I have been ill for the last 2 weeks so just concentrating on getting back to 100%. Resigned to the fact that the official trainign starts in the new year and for the moment just enjoying the festive season. Re my time: I initially had an idea of around 2:55, but then figured this would mean 100% devotion to my training and would probably result in losing my girlfriend, so that is out of the question. I just fgure that as it is my first and a prestigious event I will just got to run and enjoy it, and do an easy 3:30.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I will just got to run and enjoy it, and do an easy 3:30.
                      "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." You can do much better than 3:30 Eddy. 3 months time is plenty. I expect you to run <3:10. :yes:>

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I'd say one thing here, CONSISTENCY. If you can train consistently and sensibly between now and London you can do really well and get close to 3 hrs. If you yo-yo train, from extreme weeks to weeks of no activity you will struggle to get even close to 3:30, DO NOT underestimate the marathon, a 3:30 is not easy until you've run a 3:30 easy! All the best with your training, it'll be interesting to see how you get on, you can be really ready by April IF you train smart.