Recovery Smoothies? (Read 860 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep, hot. I was running it just as a long run since I was up there anyway. LSD. But even so, I had to slow down after about mile 22 from the heat and came in about 9 minutes behind my goal. I also was a touch bonkish after having given my gel to a group that was helping a kid who went down on the side of the road, sounded like he was hyponatremic (big group helping him, ambulance on the way, they did not need me). Apparently one person ended up in the hospital with a core temp of 108, but she recovered nicely enough to be out for a reception in time for dinner. Yep. Hot.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

People who run marathons this time of the year ANYWHERE in the US are brave....or maybe more crazy. I don't think I'd attempt anything longer than a HM when it's hot. I tend to overheat pretty easily and get chills even toward the end of a very easy 10 or 11 miler in 80ยบ temps, which isn't even all that hot. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just found out that they again raised the black flag warning. Two years in a row!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just found out that they again raised the black flag warning. Two years in a row!
          What does that mean...too hot? It's unreal how warm (and dry...everything is so brown and some of the things I planted this Spring are struggling) June has been around here. We are getting July/Aug. weather and humidity. Sure is a contrast to the super chilly Feb. we had for these parts. It's amazing how fast we can go from Winter to Summer some years.

~ Sarah Kay

What does that mean...too hot?
            I was wondering the same thing!

Michelle

mikeymike

From Grandma's website: BLACK FLAG (Extremely High Risk): All runners should slow their pace, drink extra fluids and those with previous heat stress problems or heat stress problems or heat disease should consider not running. RED FLAG (High Risk): All runners should slow their pace and those with previous heat stress problems or heart disease should consider not running. YELLOW FLAG (Moderate Risk): Heat stress is less, but one must be cautious as the level of stress will most likely increase during a morning race. GREEN FLAG (Low Risk): Risk is low, but once again you should be careful of symptoms of heat stress. You also need to be cautious of changing weather conditions. WHITE FLAG (Risk of Hypothermia): The risk of hypothermia is very low, but still exists especially in slow runners or in wet and windy conditions.

Runners run

Thanks.

Michelle

mikeymike

On topic, Matt, here's my normal post long run 400+ calorie recovery drink. All measurements approximate: 1 cup Stonyfield Farms low fat vanilla yogurt 1 cup O.J. 1 cup frozen mixed berries 1/2 -1 banana (I keep the ends of bananas the kids don't eat in the freezer) That's it. Blend, drink. (Slowly to avoid brain freeze.)

Runners run

mikeymike

The ultimate smoothie base layer:

Runners run

Prophet!

i like brown cow nonfat vanilla as smoothie base...
                        My aunt just gave me billion strawberries that I need to do something with ASAP. I was thinking of preparing them in easy to grab portions for easy to make smoothies! Now with all this smoothie talk I'm more inspired to make it happen. Smile

Michelle

ebookmeyer

Grandmas was rough. Black flagged w/i an hour of the start. It is the 2nd year in a row that has happened. It is unfortunate because that is a gorgeous course and a very well run event. Just two years of horrible weather luck. Even more unfortunate that I ran my first and 2nd marathons on those years. Unbelievable.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The ultimate smoothie base layer
                            I make my own. It is superior to SF. Big grin Just sayin.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I make my own. It is superior to SF. Big grin Just sayin.
                              I love homemade yogurt. Best use ever for a heating pad and a cooler.... Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

If you have Smoothie King in your area, you should try the King size Hulk, which goes well with JITB double ultimate cheeseburger. Here's a short nutritional note on it. I believe the king size is 64 oz.

Vim