Yes, run more, run easy. (Read 1392 times)

xor

Attempting to read this thread from the perspective of an interested outsider...

...and I honestly have no idea what's going on in here.

(edited to add: read it a third time, and I kind of do.  Ok then.)

Wrong!  90 % of my runs are easy. No major in in over 2 years. Will beat the 1500 mile bunny. I have not at the kinds of race times I am posting this year in the last 10+ years. Cool

Clay

A1 has over 3700 miles this year and looks like most are classified as EASY, at least for him. He was JOKING. Read the second page

Overall Run totals  Minimize

2010 3,762.4 Mi 556:27:06
      Total 8,341.7 Mi 1224:08:12

Monthly Run stats  Minimize

September: 177.3 Mi 24:14:54
      August: 353.5 Mi 73:26:39
      July: 543.1 Mi 91:45:22
      June: 503.5 Mi 71:00:41
      May: 484.5 Mi 64:29:34
      April: 413.4 Mi 55:47:30

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Ok this is just my experience so take it for what its worth.   I have a pretty decent running background from yrs ago, although have had long hiatus (s) from the sport for different reasons (none very good).  I am in the midst of my 2nd "career" as a runner.  2 wks shy of 55 yrs old.   started back up more seriously around 3 yrs ago.  As I have slowly incresed my miles continue to slowly improve my "over 50 pr's"    90% of my miles would be considered easy/slow for elites.  Have not been doing speedwork, but have done "pace training"  do not do hill repeats but have some hills of varying degrees around "the hood" & also do trail runs with hills.  Would I be faster/more competitive if I did more harder w/o's ??  possibly.  but I have now gone 15 straight months with 100+ miles.  Have had various pains/ minor injuries but have worked through them & avoided anything serious that has completely knocked me out.  Continue to work way up in AG (have won couple small races & placed in couple others) & improve times.  Will continue this philosphy as long as continue to improve my personal times.   Most important run for me during the week is my LR which is also my slowest paced run,  rest of week is planned around that day.   I feel that the more mileage/time on my feet will continue to improve my stamina/strength/endurance.  So yes,  run more, run easy. (mostly).    Will probably never match my former college age times, or be an elite but plan on continuing to move up in AG.

p.s. have a 10k planned for day after 55th b'day.  not really looking forward to moving into the 55-59 ag as it is just if not more competitive!!

Checked your log to see if you were in my neck of the woods. You are not . Thankfully.Joking I was debating if I should add speed  work.After  looking at your log. I will.  Your 5k is about 15 seconds ahead of mine but you half is 10 minutes better. Year to date you are 200 miles ahead. Thanks

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xor

A1 has over 3700 miles this year

Damn I am slacking.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Clay

A1 has over 3700 miles this year and looks like most are classified as EASY, at least for him. He was JOKING. Read the second page

Overall Run totals  Minimize

2010 3,762.4 Mi 556:27:06
            Total 8,341.7 Mi 1224:08:12

Monthly Run stats  Minimize

September: 177.3 Mi 24:14:54
            August: 353.5 Mi 73:26:39
            July: 543.1 Mi 91:45:22
            June: 503.5 Mi 71:00:41
            May: 484.5 Mi 64:29:34
            April: 413.4 Mi 55:47:30

Thanks,

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Imminent Catastrophe

Narsi, good to hear from you. 

In my limited experience, slow running is good, it can get you in great aerobic shape with less chance of injury. But your race times will plateau eventually, and to get those faster times you'll need to do some faster training. YMMV. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

It depends when you want to run fast.  If you want to run fast within the next two months fine, concentrate on speedwork.  You WILL get faster...for about two months.  And then it will stop and no gimmick of rearranging your interval sessions will do a darn thing.

If you want to be faster a year from now, focus on volume.  You WILL get faster.

If you want to see how fast you can be, focus on increasing volume over time and cycling in speedwork two months or so out from a goal race.  Or me, I like to try and keep some speedwork in almost all the time but increase the proportion during the two months prior to a race.

True speedwork has quick but limited benefits.  Mileage will continue to make you faster over a period of years.

The first time I broke 2:30 in a marathon, I did it on only 7 weeks of dedicated training....almost no speedwork for months prior to that.  I ran some sort of speed almost every day.  But going into that, I had months and months of steady 60-80 mpw training with occasional weeks above that.

Now when I ran 100+ mpw, WITH speed twice a week, I could tear my hamstring and limp a 2:28.

I spend several years trying to better a 15:37 5K by hammering "5K training" (aka speed training).  I never did it.  Then I did marathon-focused high volume training and did 15:39-15:18 splits for a 10K with no 10K-specific work.

So yeah, it works. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hannibal Granite

Does it really work?

Many of my running buddies run over 40 mpw. However it has not resulted in significant improvement in their race times. Though very fit many ar eyet to do a sub 1:45 HM.

Since I run HMs only I think its better to run about 30-35 mpw and concentrate more on improving pace. 

So run less and faster seems to work better for me.

Cheers

There really isn't that much of a difference between 30-35 mpw and 40 mpw.  Double those totals 60-80 mpw and you'll see big improvements over time.  I AM NOT saying just go run a bunch of slow easy miles and nothing else.  I am saying go run a bunch of slow easy miles and a occassionally a little faster and even more occassionally a lot faster and soon (though not as soon as you would like, b/c that's how life works) you'll actually be faster.  Or to put it more succinctly "Run lots, mostly easy sometimes fast" - Said by a some wise man on some running website

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Vino, looking at your log, you need to apply BOTH elements of the mantra.  Not just run easy, but run MORE.

Perhaps, but remember for me I run as a means to an end.  My sport is climbing and hiking. I run to keep fit for that, I don't run just for running's sake.  As long as I run enough to keep in front of my daughters!!  Yes I am serious enough to hunt the internet for tips etc re running but not serious enough to sell my soul

45km a week for me is ok half marathon training nudging up to 60km 3+4 weeks out.  The last few days have been a write off due to a storm here and giving blood (try training after that, i did once, never again!!)

Once I run my Auckland half marathon Oct 31st I will be cutting back to 20km a week over summer and going hiking Smile

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

xor

Sell your soul?

It's just running.

The King of Beasts

is this going to turn into another thread about running?

good grief

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

If you want to be faster a year from now, focus on volume.  You WILL get faster.

I think this is the key.  Are you in long term or short term.  For me it is more short term.  Yes will hit a point where you don't get any faster but at least you are more likely to hit that point in the short term if you push a bit harder

If I ran easy 80km a week every week for a year or so maybe I would end up being a 1:33-1:35 HM runner.  But for Oct 31st i'm gonna be a 1:40-1:45 runner training easy.  If I train a bit faster (steady not hard out aka injury speed) maybe Oct 31 im gonna be a 1:37-1:40 runner

That is my thoughts anyway.

Ive also lost 30 seconds speed for my 5km since training slower, thats 250 odd metres i need to close to get my sub 20. now running 21 mins instead of 20:30. Only speed work is going to close that gap not more miles alone

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

northernman

Fight The Future

I've been debating this for my own training lots, and after trying both, I finally have come to the conclusion that no matter what I do in training, I stay slow. Sucks to have poor protoplasm

is this going to turn into another thread about running?

good grief

what do you mean "another"?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

what do you mean "another"?

I've  wondered that about him too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.