High Fat or High Carb? (Read 1417 times)

A Saucy Wench

Very interesting, a person who runs half marathons on a zero carb diet Big grin http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=367
    I think I just threw up reading what he eats.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

omg that menu sounds so gross and I love red meat, Walmart meat in a roll? ewwwwwww
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run
        Shocked Shocked Shocked
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

0 carb would be VERY difficult to do...and boring as hell. Even cheese and eggs have carbs. So pretty much he ONLY eats meat. Yuck. On as low as 20-30 net carbs a person can still eat a LOT of variety (salads, veggies, nuts, low glycemic berries, cheeses, etc). Meat and nothing else? No thanks.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

From the link in case anyone isn't brave enough to venture over. Sounds reasonable to me Shocked "I don't really try to artificially add fat to my diet. I just try to get fatty cuts of meat and I try to pour some of the droppings from the cooking process back onto the meat. If I ate vegetables, I would cook or saute them in butter or coconut oil. That's a good way to add fat. With meat only, I find that most meats have plenty of fat and all other nutrients in the correct amounts."

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Today is my second day of the zero carb experiment. So far it appears that I am very sluggish during the training runs. Will it get easier with time? Tongue
                After another week of adaptation to the moderate-protien high-fat almost zero-carb diet, my energy levels appear to be increasing. Big grin I will try to run 10 miles again tonight after work, to test out this low carb theory Big grin Interesting... http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20031111/low-carb-high-fat-diet-drops-weight
                Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet Drops Weight Atkins-Like Plan Won't Hurt Cholesterol Levels, but Critics Aren't Impressed [...] Importantly, the high-fat diet did not have harmful effects on cholesterol levels. In fact, the participants saw a lowering of the blood fat called triglycerides. "Bad" LDL and "good" HDL cholesterol levels didn't change, but the size of the HDL and LDL molecules increased. Larger LDL molecules are less likely to form artery-clogging plaques. Larger HDL molecules stay around in the body longer to clean up more plaque. "We also saw a significant drop in glucose and insulin levels," Hays tells WebMD. Higher blood sugar (glucose) and insulin levels indicate the early signs of diabetes [...]
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

After another week of adaptation to the moderate-protien high-fat almost zero-carb diet, my energy levels appear to be increasing. Big grin I will try to run 10 miles again tonight after work, to test out this low carb theory Big grin
                  Atkins worked VERY well for me...I dropped 60#s in about a year's time. Put back on 20 when I got lazy, though. Been stuck ever since. The thing I found with low-carbing is that it's fantastic if one is doing mostly weight work and minimal aerobic exercise, but there's a tricky balance with running and minimal carb intake. Perhaps after my marathon I will experiment more with finding that happy level of carbs that doesn't have my blood sugar flaking out (which is what I deal with eating higher carb...like I want to gnaw my arm off), but still allows me to control my calorie intake AND run moderate distances well.

~ Sarah Kay

I keep getting alot of calf-muscle cramping on the zero carb diet. Back to putting some plant based foods in the diet for me Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

0 carb...bad. You still need the nutrients from plants, if not the fiber. Calf cramps are most likely from lack of potassium. You could eat things like spinach, cantaloupe, honeydew, avacado and tomatoes (all things that are low glycemic), as well as take some extra potassium supplements.

~ Sarah Kay

0 carb...bad. You still need the nutrients from plants, if not the fiber. Calf cramps are most likely from lack of potassium. You could eat things like spinach, cantaloupe, honeydew, avacado and tomatoes (all things that are low glycemic), as well as take some extra potassium supplements.
                        Thank you for the helpful advice. Yes, the extremely low carb diet is not working for me and I do not wish to keep it up to see if it will get better. Something is definitely wrong with all of the cramping.
                        C-R

Don't forget bananas for potassium. I tried low carb a few years ago and lost a good deal of weight but my running suffered because of it. Slowed down - hard to beleive I could get slower and still call it running Big grin and felt very tired. There is a way of balancing the needs for vitamins and minerals on low carb if you are careful/dedicated (not what I did), but there was no real sub for me for the carbs I needed to run. IMO.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

My Hero

Hefty - I think you are on the right track, but you just need to put it all together. May I recommend a great book for you to read? "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman. I don't know if Stu still holds the record or not, but he had accomplished running 1,000 miles in (11) days. His diet is not based on the typical "high carb" but advocates a lot of veggies with plenty of good fats. In a nut shell this diet will teach the body to burn fat as the primary fuel needed for long distance endurance. At best the body can only store about 2,500 calories of glycogen, but 135,000 calories from fat even from someone with 6% body fat! But in order for that to work, you have to train at the right pace to burn fat. If the pace is too fast and the body is using glycogen for it's primary fuel you are going to run out of gas very quickly if you have low glycogen levels. There is a lot of controversy on the runners diet, but I pay a little more attention when someone says this or that who walks the talk.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't forget bananas for potassium.
                              Yeah, but if a person is really working on the low carbs bananas aren't exactly that. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Big grin Tongue Big grin http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=10736
                                Data from other studies of athletes fed high-fat diets — some as high as 70 percent fat — with adequate carbs have shown increased endurance in both men and women when compared to diets composed of low-fat intake (10–15 percent). How, then, does one explain the African runners who thrive on low-fat diets and dominate the world-class rankings? Kalenjin runners, for example, consume a simple diet based on vegetable sources (maize and kidney beans) that is 70 percent carbs, 15 percent fat. Part of the answer lies in our genetic ancestry. Current thinking is that if your lineage traces back to the northern climes of Europe and Asia during the last Ice Age, your metabolism is geared to the same nutrients that provided nutritional health to those long ago: bison, mammoth, and yak, with very little in the way of carbohydrates. If your ancestors rooted themselves where plant foods were plentiful, that is, south of the glaciers, a "Mediterranean diet" will afford you the right combination of nutrients. (You can purchase a DNA kit to trace your deep ancestry at www.NationalGeographic.com/Genographic). Increasing fat healthfully requires judicious food choices: trail mix with bits of anitoxidant-rich dark chocolate instead of a low-fat energy bar, salmon sautéed in olive oil in place of broiled skinless chicken breast, and snacks of cheeses, nuts, and olives. Eat sparingly of fat-laden desserts. The combination of high fat and high sugar can affect more than your cardiovascular system. Experimental rats at UCLA’s traumatic brain injury center were fed diets that mimic the American fare of high fat, high sugar. After two months, they took longer to learn a water maze. After 12 months, they had less than half the brain proteins associated with learning and memory of the control group. Some runners should check with their doctors before adding fat to their diet. Normally heart muscle will alternate between using fats and carbohydrates as fuel depending on availability. But when blood glucose is low, due to aging or high blood pressure, hypertrophic hearts can't switch to burning fatty acids.