bikers = bad < inline skaters? (Read 1134 times)

Why all the biker hatred? I log about 10k per day on a bike ( with my dog ) and never have runner issues. Likewise, when I run I never have biker issues. Of course, I do have a somewhat psychotic look to me, so perhaps that helps. I do get annoyed when people go three abreast on trails though, regardless of whether they are biking or running. That's just stupid rude, really. I've found the best way to deal with it is, if they are running or walking I aim myself directly at the one closest to me and when we get close enough that we can see one another's face I close my eyes, stick out my tongue and start swaying my head side to side as I run in kind of a Stevie Wonder homage. I'm not sure what the reaction is to this because, well, my eyes are closed, but I've yet to have my target fail to clear me some space. Then again, I'm built like a fire plug and will usually win most of those collisions anyway. When I see bikers riding 3 abreast, or, even worse, just riding down the middle of the trail for no apparent reason, I will usually pick up a stick from alongside the trail and run with that stick in the hand closest to the biker at spoke height. We're not talking about a tree limb here, just whatever you see on the ground that is going to be slightly longer than the distance from handlebar to wheel on the approaching bike. It's not a threat so much as it is an insurance policy. It allows the biker to recognize that coming too close, even without actually hitting you, will result in a situation where their body continues moving forward at pace even while their bike experiences a dramatic decline in forward momentum. Again, this is only for used when people are just being codsmacks. If it's a really crowded trail and there really is just the narrowest path to pass one another then you have to play nicely with others. At least that's what my lawyer said.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
    kcam

I've found the best way to deal with it is, if they are running or walking I aim myself directly at the one closest to me and when we get close enough that we can see one another's face I close my eyes, stick out my tongue and start swaying my head side to side as I run in kind of a Stevie Wonder homage. I'm not sure what the reaction is to this because, well, my eyes are closed, but I've yet to have my target fail to clear me some space. Then again, I'm built like a fire plug and will usually win most of those collisions anyway.
      LOL! I do something similar. I get up a good head of steam, going right at the one in 'my' lane of traffic and then find something interesting off the trail to look at (meaning "I ain't looking out for you, MF'r"). If they don't move they get bulldozed - they ALWAYS do.

Go Pre!

Some people have biker issues. i have never had an issue. I run in a well populated area of runners and bikers and we all get along nicely.
        obsessor

Why all the biker hatred? I log about 10k per day on a bike ( with my dog ) and never have runner issues.
          Holy crap - you have a dog that bikes?
            Hmmm, maybe a call to the Letterman Show...
            pitrunner

I don't hate bikers, but they definitely seem more pompous than runners. On my bike ride Sunday morning I passed about 5 bikers and 7 or 8 runners. None of the bikers waved or said "g'morning." NONE. Not even the aging couple on their dumb leisure bikes. Every single runner gave me a wave or said hi. And they didn't even know I was one of them - I was in disguise as a biker for chrissake! Alright, so I guess I do hate bikers. I even hate myself when I suit up Tongue
              JakeKnight

Alright, so I guess I do hate bikers. I even hate myself when I suit up Tongue
                That's the spirit!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

TRIing to beat the heat!

As a triathlete who rides a road bike by default; if a biker is on a road bike and in 'time trial mode' they should be on a road... not on a paved trail, not on a paved running path, but on the road. Most safely riding in the lane of traffic where the right wheels of a car would ride. This keeps the bike away from any runners on the side of the road and it forces the cars to go around the bikers. Some bikers do not get this. Steam comes out of my ears when I see bicylces on sideWALKS or when I see them riding in the direction of oncoming traffic! Angry I am able to tolerate cruisers and the like on paved paths (not sideWALKS), but they are usually traveling at a much slower rate of speed.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

October through March I generally have zero problems with bikers. I've never met a biker on a cold December day that wasn't courteous and understood how to share a trail. It's once the weather gets nice and every fool that can afford a $100 Target bike gets out on the trail that I have a problem. I would even grudgingly tolerate them if they wouldn't insist on cramming into spandex or riding with no hands while talking on their cell phones or crouched out on their aero bars on high traffic pedestrian trails. I heard a joke once...how do you make someone on aero bars wipeout? you look at them. If I started running in bike lanes or on dedicated mountain biking trails then I would expect some hate, especially if I were wearing a race bib at the time.
                    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Doc, my tooth hurts

Usually my experience is that most bikers are ok, inline skaters are so rare that I never even really see them. Inline skaters usually just out for a leisurely stroll and I either pass them (not tooting my own horn here) or keep the same pace. Most bikers where I am are pretty good about knowing where to be, either road or path. Yesterday though a guy passed me who had to be doing about 20 mph on a path going down a slight hill swerving between people, I later saw him getting a gold medal placed around his neck Clowning around. In my experience the worst people are walkers and walkers with dogs. These people usually go 2 to 3 wide and take up the whole path or sidewalk, either talking with someone in person or on a cell phone. They seem to be the least aware of their surroundings and their stupid retractable leashes sometimes cross the whole sidewalk. I guess though the good ones will take their dog completely off the sidewalk and wait for you to pass, I usually say 'hi' or 'thanks' to them. so bad dog walkers> inline skaters, bikers
                      JakeKnight

bad dog walkers> inline skaters, bikers
                        No. No, no, no. There is nothing in the universe that equals the unmitigated evil of a biker. This is not to say that bad walkers strolling eight abreast and taking up a path that's a quarter-mile wide are not worthy of righteous smiting. They truly are. In fact, I keep hoping to witness some speeding chubby spandex warriors come flying down a hill at five times the speed limit and run smack into a gaggle of those goofballs. Matter meet anti-matter. It would be beautiful. But the problem with your analysis is the question of speed. Until annoying, wide-load, gossiping, cell-phone addicted dog walkers start whipping around blind corners at forty miles per hour, they will never approach the pure evil of the biker. They'll also need some spandex.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Bikers will scream, "On your left," 3" from your left ear as they rocket by forcing you to jump into traffic. Skaters will yell, "Oh @#$%, look out dude!" as they rocket into you forcing you to into long discussions with your insurance provider about what medical services are not covered...
                          Hilarious summary Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Maggie & Molly

I don't mind most bikers but I do mind the ones that think they are Lance and are working on their times on trails. Example of point. Here I am with about 100 other people and children doing a charity walk on the 'family trail' in our town. At some point some maniac on a bike comes flying by - ugly spandex and all= and nearly clips one of the kids. DH was pissed and planned on clotheslining the guy if he came back = he didn't. Clearly if there are over 100 people walking together there is something going on. I realize that a large group like that puts others at a disadvantage for their regular run/walk/etc but clearly it was something organized and all the runners that passed us were friendly and commented to the kids about how they were doing a good job, etc. The guy is simply a moron!!!!!!! A rude moron.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

The other day my wife and son were on their daily walk. She was pushing him in the stroller when all the sudden there was this dumb ass on roller blades being pulled by his husky coming down a perpendicular street from her right. The dog had some sort of harness. The dog saw my wife and darted to the right of the up comming stop sign. The guy on blades didn't notice what was giong on, so stayed on the sidewalk... the other side of the sign. The dog was at an all out sprint, when the leash found the sign pole. The dog got yanked off the ground and pulled back by his 'master's' weight. He let go of the leash and came dangerously close to running over my son in his little stroller. My wife then began cussing him up and down. He just laughed and grabbed his leash and again, they were off. My wife was PISSED! I've never heard of someone doing this. Has anyone else seen it? I've seen this guy since hauling ass up and down the streets completely out of control. I hope nothing happens to the dog, but if the guy get's hurt, I'm sure I'll learn to live with it. What an idiot. Never had a problem with bikes.

~Mike

We have a nice paved rail trail next town over where I take my kids to bike, there are always both inline skaters and bikers. The bikers range from families to men in packs traveling at racing speeds. For the life of me I can't see why these men are on this trail. But I guess we all pay taxes. So far no colissions except when I was showing off with my duel suspension mountain bike on the side of the path and smashed the handle bars into my scabbed over running boo-boo (fell up a hill the week before). Was a bit embarrassing with all the blood gushing down my leg.....