Area Runner Killed (Read 472 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Link

I'm having a tough time processing this.  Yesterday a woman in an area where I used to regularly ride my bike (prior to moving about a year ago) was shot in the head while running and left to die.  Apparently a drive-by.  This was in a semi-rural, residential area.  She was about my age, a mother, and likely went to HS with people I know.  She worked as a physical therapist in the town where I now live.

Since I started running I have always made a habit of avoiding "risky" areas, carrying my phone, avoiding any sort of predictable routine.  And have had close calls with texting drivers wandering over onto the shoulder where I run.  Most of the time I feel reasonably safe during my workouts.  This is literally way too close to home.

I went out for a 4 mile run, but found myself jumpy with every car that passed a little too slowly.  I couldn't keep from thinking about this woman who leaves behind a husband and 11 year old daughter.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just senseless.

Village people

Oh my goodness, that is awful.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Scary stuff and I totally get feeling jumpy.

Try to keep in mind things like this are the exception and not the norm.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Senseless and awful! Feel bad for the family of the victim.

I hope the so-called knockout game people aren't taking their game to an even more life-threatening level.

kk_kittenkat

That's incredibly sad.

SheCan

Zoom-zoom, that is scary, and sad.  It is difficult to comprehend senseless violence.

Several years ago, along my running route a senor citizen man was killed and his wife raped by a teenager who rode on my daughter's bus.  It was so shocking, and it was really, really quiet near that street for a while.  I felt jumpy whenever I was near there.  Eventually the shock faded, but I still have been more careful and less trustful since then.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Still no answers, but it looks like maybe she was trying to escape the shooter.

She Can...what an awful story.  A woman in this area (Jessica Heeringa) was abducted from her job as she was closing up at night a little over a year ago.  She made national news.  All leads were exhausted and there's a lot of frustration with the lack of answers.  People are already concerned that this case will never be resolved.  A few people have wondered if the cases could be connected.

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

That sucks, Zoom-Zoom. Understandable that you've been shaken by this.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Very sad.

I come from a high-crime country and live in a big city where crimes like this might happen.  But to think of this happening in smaller, rural, and safer areas than mine sucks!  Hope they find answers and the killer.

Damaris

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That sucks, Zoom-Zoom. Understandable that you've been shaken by this.

Thanks.  And adding to my tension is the fact that my kid is currently at music camp only 2 miles or so from where this happened.  I keep telling myself that this smells of a non-random act and that there isn't a lunatic with a gun looking for his/her next victim.  I really hope the campers haven't caught wind of any of this.  I especially feel for the camp staff.  I can't imagine that they haven't heard the news.  Being responsible for a bunch of tweens and teens is stressful under the best of circumstances.

~ Sarah Kay

on my run this morning I'm pretty sure I passed at least 1 of each of the following:

hooker

drug house

homeless encampment

ranging swollen river through secluded greenway near high crime neighborhood

what are you gonna do... I don't think anyone cared that I was jogging by.  truth is, I worry more about dogs and ticks than any of the above.

Queen of 3rd Place

So awful, I hope there is some resolution. I don't blame your for being jumpy!

Ex runner

Still no answers, but it looks like maybe she was trying to escape the shooter.

She Can...what an awful story.  A woman in this area (Jessica Heeringa) was abducted from her job as she was closing up at night a little over a year ago.  She made national news.  All leads were exhausted and there's a lot of frustration with the lack of answers.  People are already concerned that this case will never be resolved.  A few people have wondered if the cases could be connected.

Zoomy,

I'm sorry to hear.  I would have responded earlier, but I haven't been reading this forum much over the past few months.  (I missed this thread.)

Prayers for you and your community.  These stories are awful.

Stay safe, and let's hope they catch them.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No updates in days, unfortunately.  Rewards for info. leading to arrest are up to $12,500.  It's upsetting that someone would do something like this and never face punishment.

~ Sarah Kay