pacing question (Read 839 times)

This is prob a dumb question but bear with me, I am a newbie. I dont know how to pace myself. For my "easy" runs, how hard should i be working? You can check my log and see how I am doing. BUt when I run longer, I dont necessarily slow down, I just run my regular way but for a longer amount of time. Is it really essential to run very slowly when running long? any opinions? Thanks in advance!
    ScheriN

You can use the McMillan Calculator to help you determine what your paces should be. Your easy and long runs should be slower, leaving more for the tempo and interval work. Here is the link to the calculator: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm Hope that helps a bit!

A Saucy Wench

at this point all your runs should be easy, there probably wont be a difference. All your runs should pass the talk test easily, and feel...easy. You should end most runs feeling like you could have worked a lot harder. The only way to know if you should run slower on your long runs is to pay attention to your pace across the run, if you are slowing significantly, then try starting slower Mcmillan doesnt really apply to new runners

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You just need to buy a Polar RS200d and wear the footpod, and it tells you on your watch the current pace, I use this on all long runs to stay around the 9:30 pace. I also see my heart rate creep up as the run gets longer and if it goes to high then I have to either slow down to maintain HR or allow my HR to go up as I keep pace, you have to choose, what your trying to do is make the same run easier with less HR increase over the course of time which would mean better fitness.
            What Ennay said. McMillan only works if you've done a few races before. Go by feel. The talk test is the way to go. You should be able to carry a conversation during your run whether you go short or long. - R
              What Ennay said. McMillan only works if you've done a few races before. Go by feel. The talk test is the way to go. You should be able to carry a conversation during your run whether you go short or long. - R
              Right on the money. At this point in time, just work on building your base. There's plenty of time to worry about all of that other stuff later. Smile

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

It is important to do your long runs at a slower pace than your mid-week runs. The reasoning is that long runs are is to get you used to spending time on your feet and to condition your body to rely more on fat for fuel and less on carbohydrates. A faster pace is not only counter productive in that respect, it also puts more of a strain on your body which can become a problem as your long runs get longer. The McMillan calculator is an excellent tool for training but won't do a new runner much good until they learn pacing. The best way to do that (unfortunately) is to spend time on the track. Running laps with a watch will help you develop a feel for your pace which you can then apply to your training. Tom
                Scout7

It is important to do your long runs at a slower pace than your mid-week runs.
                  I disagree. There's no reason that the long run pace has to be slower than your easy pace. In fact, it might be faster than some easier days. Also, it's not a matter of conditioning the body to use more fat over glycogen. You can do that regardless of distance.

Just Be

I disagree. There's no reason that the long run pace has to be slower than your easy pace. In fact, it might be faster than some easier days. Also, it's not a matter of conditioning the body to use more fat over glycogen. You can do that regardless of distance.
                    My long run pace is usually a bit faster. Your case in point. Smile Sometimes I'll even turn the last 5 or 6 miles into a tempo run if I feel fresh enough for that kind of effort by the end of the run.
                    Purdey

Self anointed title

Scout - can you explain how to condition your body to use fat over glycogen regardless of distance run? I thought this took time and miles?

Just Be

However, I think that when building up to a longer run that you can handle, it's important to run them slightly slower until your body can handle that kind of distance load over a period of a couple weeks. Then you can start running them faster if you prefer.
                          at this point all your runs should be easy, there probably wont be a difference. All your runs should pass the talk test easily, and feel...easy. You should end most runs feeling like you could have worked a lot harder. The only way to know if you should run slower on your long runs is to pay attention to your pace across the run, if you are slowing significantly, then try starting slower Mcmillan doesnt really apply to new runners
                          I think you should stick wiht what Ennay said...she's right on the mark.... Cool

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

Yes, Ennay has given the best answer so far and I don't think you'll get a better one so I'd go with that.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

It is important to do your long runs at a slower pace than your mid-week runs.
                              If you're a noob and building up your mileage, I might agree. If you've been running for a while and have adjusted to the higher mileage, then I disagree. I like the talk test that Ennay mentioned. That's how I do it. Unscientific for sure, but it works great for me.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks everyone! I like the talk test, and figure I will just try to listen to my body and try not to get too caught up in numbers. I have a polar F6 and maybe I'll use that to guide me too. Thanks for all the great feedback. Its amazing how many different views and opinions there are. Thanks again