Minimalist trail shoes? (Read 2547 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Is there such a thing?

If not - what are the lighest trail shoes.  I can't bring myself to wear heavy trail shoes - and am fed up of sliding around in my Mizuno Wave Mushas while off road.

Any suggestions?

MTA: (Apart from VFF)

Inov8 do quite a lot of lightweight off-roaders Purdey.
        I got the La Sportiva Raptor on Dakota's recommendation and they seemed pretty light for a trail shoe. Granted I do not know much about trail shoes, but he does and he emphatically recommended them. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The King of Beasts

new balance 101's.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Mr Krupicka is known for minimal running attire, and minimalist shoes.  He helped design the New Balance MT100, there's a review or two out on Trent's interwebs.  I believe they followup MT101 is in the works (or maybe even available now)* so you might be able to get a good deal.

* A1 isn't just fast on his feet

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The King of Beasts

oh sorry about that. the New Balance minimalist line is sort of hard to come by right now, sizes seem to be very limited in the 100's and I dont know for a fact that we can buy the 101's as of now.

E Koolaid has a pair of the 100's and has done some 24 mile rocky trail runs with me, seem to hold up well.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks guys.

Sadly the 100s are not available in the UK - i really don't know why.

Therefore I don't hold out much hope of being able to get the 101s when they are (eventually!) released.

RR - will have a look at the Innov8 ones.  Quite like the look of the X-Talon 212s:

They say that they are: "a super lightweight trail shoe with a low profile midsole. Very comfortable, stable and grippy, with a sticky rubber outsole"

The King of Beasts

i like the La Sportiva Crosslite, the fit and weigh about the same as the DS Trainers. not exactly minimalist, but a good shoe.

when the 101's become available I will mail you a pair if you want. (just sayin)

Purdey

Self anointed title

when the 101's become available I will mail you a pair if you want. (just sayin)

You are a good man.

If they take much longer over them I'll just pick them up at Leadville 2011.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i like the La Sportiva Crosslite, the fit and weigh about the same as the DS Trainers. not exactly minimalist, but a good shoe.

Heather73 has a pair of these and I was really impressed by how light and flexible they are.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

All the bad ass trail runners I know wear Innov8's.  THe Flite-230 is all the rage.  No first hand experience but there you go.

Runners run

+1 for the Inov-8 trail shoes.  I recently bought a pair.......the RocLite 295 model.  I only have three runs in them but I am very impressed.  They are the absolute lightest shoe I have ever run in.  Now, that isn't saying much since my road shoes are Asics Nimbus and Brooks Glycerine.  However, they do have a very flat profile (not a huge built-up heel). The sales person said the shoe has 4mm of differential.....heel to toe.  Not sure what is "typical" for a shoe, but he said "this shoe is in the minimalist category" when he sold them to me.  Regardless of the sales pitch, the folks over on the trail running forum had nothing but great things to say about them.

If you can find a good retailer who sells Inov-8 shoes, I suggest you try a pair or two on.......

http://www.inov-8.com/Home.asp?L=27

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I was perusing the Inov-8 website (USA version) and found this (see link below) in their "NEWS" section.......basically touting the minimalist/barefoot nature of their products.  Like everyone else these days, I guess......

http://www.inov-8.com/News-Detail.asp?NID=345&L=27

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

psycho_runner

I love the vibram five fingers for trails. I have a history of bad ankle sprains and they give me better confidence running on trails because you can feel the ground really well. They are fine for anything except large gravel and cement.

I have worn the Adidas Adizero XT for several cycles.  They are light weight and a very minimalist feel to them.  I love the traction and comfort they provide.  I also use them on the road from time to time but that seems to wear them out pretty quickly.  Pearl Izumi makes their Peak XC and it is nice but there is less traction to be had.  I use it on the road all the time.  I have worn the Brooks Cascadia but it is a heavier more heavy duty shoe.  I vote the Adidas Adizero XT if you are a minimalist and neutral runner.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett