How many days/week do you run? (Read 1475 times)

Hello all, I am a relatively new runner, I've been running since last September. The longest I've run is 6 miles and the most I've run per week is four days, roughly 3 miles each. Not any time SOON, but someday I'd like to increase that. I want to take it slow and safely. I started running with the C25K program, and I like the "baby steps" approach. But, I am wondering how many people run 5? 6? 7? days per week. So I have a reasonable goal set for myself. A little more info about me, prior to doing the C25K program, I only ran if chased by bears. Or my children. Hated it. After the C25k program I am completely addicted, love it and have convinced several co-workers to start running and start the program. Thanks to RunningAhead and all you awesome people here, I've completed teched myself out with appropriate running clothes and of course my Garmin 305. Smile TIA!!!

http://www.runningnotes.net

Right now, I run between 5 and 7 days per week, consisting of between 6 and 10 running workouts and 7 and 12 total workouts per week. (I count shoveling snow for 60-90 minutes a workout.) In college, I ran 7 days per week, 12-13 running workouts, 15-20 total workouts per week. In terms of being helpful for you, I think that you should gradually increase your mileage and that its a good idea. I'd suggest just adding 1 extra workout where you run roughly 3 miles this week, and then next week extend one workout to run a little farther than your average. The week after that just do the same as you did the week before. If everything feels good, then add a fifth workout in 3 or 4 weeks from now. You may want to consider trading off weeks between running 4 times and 5 times for a few months. Just play it by ear and by feel. Your body will tell you if you are increasing too fast and need to back off a little.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

I run 5-7 days. Right now, that works out to about 6-8 runs per week, although I want to get an extra 3 in there. So doubles on about 4 days, singles on the remaining 2-3.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do 5 days most weeks. Works pretty well. I ran 3-4x/week for about the first year I was running, then gradually added a fifth run at about the one year mark. I have had a couple of 6 run weeks, but it gets tough to add that extra run in some weeks and my body seems happier with 5. Someday maybe I will do 6-7 (perhaps after running my first marathon...I'll have a PR to beat, then), but not at this point.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

As previously suggested, make increases gradually and listen to your body. I run 6 days a week and within those 6 days do 10 running workouts, but this is pretty irrelevant. If you must make comparisons to other runners, try to make them with people that are similarly situated, i.e., age, experience, goals, etc. Look at the profiles and logs of people on this board because there is a very broad spectrum of experience and talent. Everyone has an injury or overtraining threshold and being relatively new there is no way to know what yours is. So, just have fun with it. You seem to have the right attitude with your "baby steps" approach so stick with it.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

A Saucy Wench

5 days...6 would mean divorce. I didnt move from 4 days to 5 days until I had been consistantly running 4 days a week for a long time AND I got to a mileage point where I simply needed to split it out in order to keep building mileage. I can't run more than 8-10 on a weekday timewise, and realistically more than 6 is pushing it

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Half Fanatic #846

I run 4 or 5 days a week, and average an increase of 1 mile each week (from a current 37 mpw to a planned 50-60 mpw in a few months). With the increased mileage, I'll move up to 5-6 days a week. Every 3 weeks or so I'll only run 3 times a week or about half my normal weekly mileage to give myself a break. You have the right attitude - take it easy and have fun!! Smile Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

This time of year I'm lucky to get in 2-3 days a week due to weather constraints. I generally run 3-4 days a week in the summer unless I'm training for a race and then I'll add an extra day. As a new runner I would suggest that you stick to three or four days a week for a while to give you plenty of recovery time between runs. Slowly increase the distance of your runs until the distance becomes impractical before adding additional running days. It's not how many days a week you run that builds your endurance, it's how far you run on a regular basis. In other words, three 5 mile runs will contribute to your conditioning safely and more effectively than seven 2 mile runs. I know it takes me 1-2 miles just to get warmed up to where I can run comfortably. Rest is critical for a new runner since new runners tend to do more damage to their legs than experienced runners, even though they run fewer miles. After you've been running for a while your form will improve as your legs strengthen and you'll learn which types of shoes work for you and which ones don't. Consequently you'll be able to run higher mileage with less wear and tear on your joints and connective tissues. Tom
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This time of year I'm lucky to get in 2-3 days a week due to weather constraints.
                    Eastern Michiganders need to HTFU. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

NH, there are definitely similarities between us. I started with the C25K program in Oct. 2006 after having vowed I would NEVER run! I'm about your weight, trying to get down to your goal weight, too. You're a little faster than me, though. My kids are older (9, 12, and 15), but they still keep me very busy. I don't live too far from you - just north of Portland. I have increased my running gradually, from 3 times a week (9 miles total a few months ago) to 5 or 6 times a week (26 miles total this week). One thing that has helped me was to sign up for a half marathon next September. I'm increasing my long run by a half mile every two weeks, so I'm up to 7 miles now, making sure that the run is no more than a third of my total miles for the week. Knowing that the race is looming helps me get out in bad conditions or when I feel like I'm too tired or busy. Just take it slowly and have fun!!

The Greatest of All Time

NH, there are definitely similarities between us. I started with the C25K program in Oct. 2006 after having vowed I would NEVER run! I'm about your weight, trying to get down to your goal weight, too. You're a little faster than me, though. My kids are older (9, 12, and 15), but they still keep me very busy. I don't live too far from you - just north of Portland. I have increased my running gradually, from 3 times a week (9 miles total a few months ago) to 5 or 6 times a week (26 miles total this week). One thing that has helped me was to sign up for a half marathon next September. I'm increasing my long run by a half mile every two weeks, so I'm up to 7 miles now, making sure that the run is no more than a third of my total miles for the week. Knowing that the race is looming helps me get out in bad conditions or when I feel like I'm too tired or busy. Just take it slowly and have fun!!
                        Listen to this person.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          Eastern Michiganders need to HTFU. Wink
                          Right. I was planning to run this morning but we have about 3" of frozen slush on the roads. It's kinda like trying to run through a plowed field without turning an ankle. I'll wait until it warms up this weekend. I'd hate to miss spring running due to a sprained or broken ankle. How's the weather been over on the west side of the state? Tom
                            Thanks for all of the great responses! This was exactly what I was looking for. Part of the reason I run is to lose weight/eat more. Big grin So, I was hoping to increase the number of days at some point to 5 days per week and maybe some day 6. I am not looking to do it anytime soon or hugely increase the number of miles, just wondering if it was even a good idea. Sounds like as long as I take it slow and listen to my body, I should be okay. I just started the 4 days per week, and will keep with that for a while, slowly getting back up to 10k. I am planning on entering several 5ks and 10ks this summer. The Seacoast Series, Teresadfp, in case your doing any of those. Are you signing up for the Seacoast Half by any chance? I hear you Ennay, "5 days...6 would mean divorce." That is a primary reason I won't be doing Half Marathons or Marathons any time soon (that and I'm too new at this to even think about it!). Thanks again everyone!!

http://www.runningnotes.net

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Right. I was planning to run this morning but we have about 3" of frozen slush on the roads. It's kinda like trying to run through a plowed field without turning an ankle. I'll wait until it warms up this weekend. I'd hate to miss spring running due to a sprained or broken ankle. How's the weather been over on the west side of the state? Tom
                              Snow snow and more snow. If I waited for clean roads out in BFE I wouldn't have run at all in about the past month. No joke. I think we've had over 90" of snow already this year.

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

NH, I signed up for the Maine Coast HM in York, Maine. I'll have to look up the Seacoast Series! I think you're right to stay with shorter races for now - I waited a year before I even considered the idea of training for a HM. Kirsten, Portland has gotten about 95" of snow so far - the 6th snowiest Dec-Feb on record. The frigging roads are too narrow to run on!! Yes, I'm a bigger wimp than Blaine, but I have to stay alive for my kids! At least I got to run outside twice this week, before the latest storm. 3 to 6 more inches tomorrow night. Can I endure 7.5 miles on the TM Saturday?? Teresa