Do you Do This? (Read 1037 times)

Because our streets are cambered and you are supposed to run against traffic, I'm constantly running with my left leg lower than my right leg. So on occasion I run with traffic to sort of even it out. my DH says this is dangerous however I think of it as necessary. Does anyone else do this? Curious, have you been hit and killed or do you think its good for your running?
    mikeymike

I run right down the middle on the crown of the road sometimes. I was hit and killed once, but I bounced back.

Runners run

I was hit by a car once - but only because I cut the crosswalk like an idiot. Thankfully I was not killed, but I'm sure that even if I was, I would come back here to give fair warning.

Just Happy to Run

Yup, I do this. I've lost track of how many times I've been hit and killed though...
          Jason

2010 Goals
          • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
          jeffdonahue

Wow, I'm a bit amazed at how many walking/running dead we have in this place. For me it kind of depends on the street. There are certain streets in my town that I would ALWAYS run against traffic because they are just too dangerous to do otherwise. then on other streets I will run with traffic and not worry too much. I've never been hit and killed by a car though, so I cant attest to how that feels.

Best Present Ever

Because our streets are cambered and you are supposed to run against traffic, I'm constantly running with my left leg lower than my right leg. So on occasion I run with traffic to sort of even it out. my DH says this is dangerous however I think of it as necessary. Does anyone else do this? Curious, have you been hit and killed or do you think its good for your running?
              One sports doc guy i saw recommended that I do this, and says it's how he runs. His neighbors can attest that it's true. On twisty, hilly, 2 lane country roads. He's a bit crazy. I run down the middle of the road where the camber isn't so great as much as I can, but I mostly have clear sight lines down the road.
                I switch over on sharp curves when being on the "correct" side is more dangerous and I switch over on quiet roads to try to even things out. When I religiously stayed against traffic I had HUGE I/T band issues, and with a more even approach it has never happened again (knocking furiously on wood).
                2010 Goals: Danbury Half Marathon: <1:42:00; boston="" run="" to="" remember:=""></1:42:00;><1:42:00; nyc="" marathon:=""></1:42:00;><3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash! finish:="" run="" amuck="" and="" warrior=""></3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash!>
                  I switch over on sharp curves when being on the "correct" side is more dangerous and I switch over on quiet roads to try to even things out. When I religiously stayed against traffic I had HUGE I/T band issues, and with a more even approach it has never happened again (knocking furiously on wood).
                  I too will switch over on sharp curves or prior to an intersection so that I am onthe side that I'm turning to. Like others have said, yes I will sometimes switch to the other side because of the chamber on the road and also run in the middle of the road when there isn't any traffic. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I run down the middle of the road where the camber isn't so great as much as I can, but I mostly have clear sight lines down the road.
                    Do you have eyes in the back of your head? The danger isn't so much from cars coming in front of you as those approaching from behind.
                      I run with traffic on the way out, and against traffic on the way back due to cambered roads. When I see a car coming, and if I have time and space, I move to the opposite side of the road the car is traveling.
                        Most of my outdoor running for the last 20 years has been on a trail (B&A Trail), which has no camber, or on a beach for several years when wintering in Florida. So, it hasn't been an issue for me for a very long time. Before the B&A Trail was completed in 1990, I did a lot of running on local streets and highways. Where there was a paved shoulder of reasonable width, which was often the case, I would alternate sides of the street or, on out and back runs, run on the same side of the street each way which switched the "downhill" leg. On streets without a paved shoulder, I always ran facing traffic and moved to the unpaved shoulder when cars approached. Since I am a moderate overpronator anyway, I run in motion control shoes, which help to moderate the affect of a street camber.

Why is it sideways?

I have strict rules about which side of the road to run on and I never violate them, no matter the situation. Life is easier when you create these sorts of rules, I've found. Flexibility and adaptability are signs of weakness and can be dangerous. It is best to determine rigidly and ahead of time a set of principles to live by because life gets more predictable like this. Even if I cannot control events, I can give myself the idea that I have controlled them since they happened according to the principles that I adopted. And if they didn't, well they were dangerous, wild, illegal, risky, absurd, crazy, and probably caused by a person who is either a) stupid or b) a jerk or c) a member of the political party which I oppose or d) La La La La La La La I can't hear you.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I try to switch sides of the road every 400m, but sometimes in the middle of the race on larger roads the volunteers or the rescue squad workers yell at me when I do that, especially when I'm going over to the side far away from the cones...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Somewhat of a side question... Is there any easy way with a Garnin to keep track of how much time you spend on each side of the road? Amazingly for the first many months I ran, camber didn't bother me at all. I am sensitive to it now though.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I was blessed with a left leg slightly longer than the right (this is actually true). I'm never running in England.