Dogs! (Read 1450 times)

ijeepgirl

i I'm am going to purchase some pepper spray. We have bears here too so all in all a very good idea.
    Holy crap!! I think I'd want more than pepper spray if a bear were chasing me! Shocked

I got my hair highlighted because I felt some strands were more important than others. :)

Holy crap!! I think I'd want more than pepper spray if a bear were chasing me! Shocked
      I get nervous when the neighbor's beagle barks at me!!! Worrying about bears and I'd never leave the house!!!

Michelle

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

There's a beagle named Jasmine on my street that I swear I'm going to kill one day. I call her the Hound from Hell. She will run right at me, nipping and yipping. When I cross the busy street next to her house, sometimes she runs all the way across it to bark some more at me! The two teenagers who live there halfheartedly call her name but don't do anything else. Maybe I'll accidentally run her over one day in my Tahoe. Smush. Evil grin
        A beagle? Really? OMG that is so funny to me. I have two beagles and they are are so ridiculous. They would only bite you if your put your leg in their mouths and pushed their jaws closed with your hands! Anything else would require too much effort!

Half Fanatic #846

Unfortunately, a few irresponsible dog owners have made me more cynical (I have two dogs, and they are well behaved). I normally carry pepper spray when I run, although one of the times I forgot it, I would have used it on a neighbor's big dog that attacked and almost bit me (lives only four houses away!). Little dogs are more of a nuisance than anything else. Also, the ones that just follow you are aggravating - I want to run and not worry about a dog following me and getting lost, or worse, run over by a car. Now if one comes at me barking and growling with teeth showing, he will get the "treatment", and if one just follows me, he follows me - one went almost a mile with me once, then turned back for home I suppose. If it's safe (friendly dog, puppy, etc.) I'll hold it for a few secs while the owner retrieves it, but I'd rather just keep on keepin' on...I seem to run into dogs on a weekly basis now, but fortunately they're usually just barking and straining on their leashes, with the "owner" issuing useless commands. Makes me appreciate the seeming minority who have their pets under control!!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

pandajenn19

A beagle? Really? OMG that is so funny to me. I have two beagles and they are are so ridiculous. They would only bite you if your put your leg in their mouths and pushed their jaws closed with your hands! Anything else would require too much effort!
            Hehe, my beagle would only bite you if you were coated in peanut butter, or if she somehow though you were edible for another reason. If she cannot eat it, then she doesn't bother. My mixed breed, on the other hand, is a pretty protective guard dog type. I run with her on my early morning runs for that reason. Once I was running with her and a guy who didn't have his dog on a leash let his dog run right up to us. I had to stop running, grab my dog and hold her until he came and claimed his. All the while he was telling me how safe his dog was, to which I had to reply to the moron that he had no idea whether my dog was safe or not, and that there was after all a leash law for a reason. Asshole probably would have said it was my fault if my leashed dog had bit his unleashed dog. Roll eyes
              How can you "nearly" get chased by a dog? Either they chase you or they don't. I've been running the on streets for 11 years and only on one occasion has a dog gone out of it's way to cause me grief. It was a large Shepherd and he made one pass at me. When I didn't react he got bored and went back home. Most dog/people incidents are brought on by the people not the dog. Basically if you ignore them they will ignore you. If they do approach you which most will do out of curiosity, don't act aggressively toward them but don't show fear either. Just face them in a non aggressive manor and back away. Freaking out will almost certainly create a bad situation. Tom

Cause I CAN

He started running near me but a guy across the street saw what was going on and scared him off...
                Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Cause I CAN

and no most dog incidents are brought on because stupid owners who allow them to roam loose
                  Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                  http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                  pitrunner

I run with my Dobermans, one at a time. Last week on our usual route, my male, who is a mean looking dog, was attacked by a Shih Tzu. The 45' leash had slipped out of the owner’s hands, and he tried to make it seem like I'd done something wrong. You know, with my dog in a harness, never leaving my side, and on the other side of the street, I made his dog come after us.
                    So far my pit bull/rottie mix has been attacked by a Shih Tzu (whose owner also dropped the stupid flexi leash), a yorkie who was off lead entirely, and just last weekend, a roaming lab. It's almost getting to the point where I'm scared to run my dog anymore. I am such a conscientous dog owner - my dog is always harnessed at my side and has been trained very well. But I guarantee if he had injured any of the dogs that have attacked him he would be the one euthanized on the spot - no questions asked. Facts don't seem to matter much if there's a pit bull or rottie involved. I don't know if you dobie owners know how it feels (their time in the spot light seems to have passed) but it really sucks.
                      I work with dogs, cats birds fish.... every day at work. I can say for fact it is the dumb owners fault 1000% I
                        I've always been scared of dogs while running-even back in HS when I ran in big groups. Four or five years ago I had an incident where I ended up standing on top of a fire hydrant (fun balancing) while a loose dog sat and barked at me. I had to wait til someone came outside and the dog moved away, and then I took off. I've seen loose dogs since and keep meaning to get some kind of spray, b/c I don't want to let that ruin any more runs. Also, some owners don't realize that it doesn't matter if the dogs are friendly or not, if the dog is loose, it is going to scare the %#$! out of some people (including me).
                        Gig

...despite their reputation and appearance ....
                          I'd say they appear to be sweethearts. As far as the pepper spray, wouldn't it be more effective to use it on the pet owners? Evil grin
                            I had a pit bull mix run along side me today. He was an older puppy but seemed friendly. That's the only encounter I've had yet. I use to have a major fear of dogs, we had these big white german sheppards that would roam my neighborhood when I was a kid. They bit several people and one had to be put down.

Top 'O the World!

I posed the question of "what to do" several months back (in another life) because I'd been charged twice in as many days by a young pit bull & a black sheperd mix (possibly because I run w/a dog myself)....nobody could give any really great answers as to what to do....the pepper spray idea, whilst it may well work great for many dogs, will actually incite some of the more agressive dogs to attack mode!!! Also, it got me to thinking about some of the trails that I run on near Pike Nat'l Forest...where a loose dog could well be the least of my concerns!!!!....hence, I now run w/a decent sized camp knife in my pack.....I think maybe my "projected energy" is a bit different now that I run w/a weapon....
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              sfarrant

The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan, had a show featuring postal workers and how they should deal with dogs. But most of his advice was for the mail carrier to meet the people who owned the dog, and train the owner to have better control (to be a better pack leader) over the animal. I don't mean to hate dogs, but I have been chased before, and it's scary! I know it's the owners' fault, but when fangs are barred and I'm mid-run, I tend to blame the pup instead. I try to project a "calm assertive" stance, and offer commands like "sit!" "home!" as if I'm in control, but so far no luck, probably because my sweat belies my calm voice, and the dog can SMELL my fear.
                                2008 Harrisburg Half Marathon 1:44:39 2008 Harrisburg Marathon 3:44:00