At what distance/duration, do I start adding more than gels and water during run? (Read 293 times)

DaBurger

The only reason 2:4x guys that have never run past 26.2 miles come into these threads is to give advice about something they have never done (and claim to never want to do) or to mock the people that run long distances with some buffet/hiker crap. Are you going to eventually get around to this or keep us hanging?

I ran 34 in September, Hector himself called his long trips a "run/hike", and maybe I debuted at 2:4x because I actually thought about and planned my nutrition ahead of time.

Know thyself.

xhristopher

Didn't bhearn eat something like a hundred GUs in a race once? I think he way lying about that.

Kalsarikännit

I ran 34 in September, Hector himself called his long trips a "run/hike", and maybe I debuted at 2:4x because I actually, you know, thought about and planned my nutrition ahead of time.

What does your stomach feel like at hour seven?  What are the particular fueling issues that you face?  You don't think knowing that first hand is legitimate in this discussion?

My previous comment was more directed at Mike and all the people that have popped their opinions into countless ultra threads on how to race (and then mocking them by implying they aren't runners) for years and years now (a particular batch of advice for mile 80 of a mountain 100 comes to mind).  It is the equivalent of me giving advice to pole vaulters or aspiring sub 4 minute milers.

You running a 2:4x is not a knock, it is more pointing out that that particular group tends to be a bunch of LR types. So I guess it is a knock.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

mikeymike

The only reason 2:4x guys that have never run past 26.2 miles come into these threads is to give advice about something they have never done (and claim to never want to do) or to mock the people that run long distances with some buffet/hiker crap.

That's pretty cynical, even for you.

But my bad. I didn't realize I was in an ultra thread since it's in "General Running," and it's about fueling for long runs and all. Now that I know, I shall stand down since my presence is clearly an insult to anyone who has ever run for 7 hours and/or has never run a marathon in the 2:40's.

Runners run

No Talent Drips

Jebus, the Bears looked like shite last night.

Also too, sup 2:4X guys?

Dei Gratia

Kalsarikännit

Jebus, the Bears looked like shite last night.

See?  I told you 2:4x guys are pricks.  Salt in the wound.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

jfa

What's the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche?

The Porsche has the pricks on the inside.

DaBurger

You running a 2:4x is not a knock, it is more pointing out that that particular group tends to be a bunch of LR types. So I guess it is a knock.

2:4X is way too slow for LR, the slowest guys there close 100 milers with a 2:10 marathon

Know thyself.

[gratuitous pot-stirring]

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

No Talent Drips

[gratuitous pot-stirring]

Covered that. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dei Gratia

hectortrojan

Less significant doesn't mean insignificant.  And if you are working hard enough that you're getting nauseous, then your body is not able to eat real food, so don't eat it.

Since Hector's saying that he's recovering from these runs in 3-4 days, I doubt he's slamming himself as hard as he can for these runs, like you are when you're racing a 24 hour.  He has more leeway to experiment with suboptimal fuels (from an efficiency standpoint) that can make his runs more enjoyable (imo having a completely empty stomach except for Gels and gatorade after 3 hours of activity with 4 hours still to go just sucks).

You are correct in assuming that the only 6 hr run that I did, I did not care about pace. I do not race and my goal on long runs is to to keep moderate effort and have fun.

rlopez

All I know is that I'd really appreciate some midnight pizza Saturday night before Monkey.

Thanks.

Ok bye

As for the original question, I had my most successful 12 hour (which I won) on gels, water, and soda.  Plus a peanut butter sandwich in the middle, which I regretted for an hour.

Yes, bhearn eats a very specific X gels during a 100... he is a very specific person. I don't recall if he supplements with food at aid stations. I'd link him here so he would see it, but this is not facebook.

xhristopher

On an average I run 3-4 hours a week.  My two longest run/hikes are:

~4 hour, ~21 mile, ~3000 ft of elevation gain in June 2014

~6.5 hour, ~ 31 mile, ~2700 ft of elevation gain in Oct 2014

Both these run/hikes, I carried water and had a gel every 40-45 minutes. It went fine and I recovered in 3-4 days. I got cramps in last 40 minutes or so during 50k run, but I think it is because I never experienced being on my feet for that long and experience would make it better.

I am thinking about going for 7 hour or so after 3-4 months or so. Do I need to think about more than water and gels for that? If so, what do I need? Why? What works for you?

I do long runs every 2-3 weeks between 2-3 hours and usually carry water and chocolate. I use gels instead of chocolates once in a while.

You can always your long run like a cyclist does a long ride. Stop for a casual coffee and snack then sit about as it digests once or twice on your trek. It's not a race so what's the rush?

hectortrojan

You can always your long run like a cyclist does a long ride. Stop for a casual coffee and snack then sit about as it digests once or twice on your trek. It's not a race so what's the rush?

There is no rush, but what are you trying to say by asking this question?

xhristopher

Often cyclists will stop during their long rides, sit down, and have a coffee and snack. It's not unusual. Seems like a casual way to break up a day of activity and refuel. That's what I'm saying.

Much of of the advice you are getting is about racing. You never said you were looking for fueling advice for racing.