Road Running (Read 787 times)

On 2 & 4 lane roads with light to moderate traffic, do you run in the same direction as traffic or so that you can see what is coming up ahead?

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

Where I live it's rule of thumb for runners to run against traffic.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On 2 & 4 lane roads with light to moderate traffic, do you run in the same direction as traffic or so that you can see what is coming up ahead?
        I almost always run against traffic. The only way I'll run with traffic is if it's on a sidewalk. Even then, I still prefer to be running against traffic if it's a busy road -- I hate the idea of cars coming up from behind me and not being able to see them. I was once running on the sidewalk next to a 4-lane highway. An accident occurred and a car crossed the sidewalk at a point about 30 yards behind me -- where I had been seconds earlier -- and hit a house. Had I started my run a few seconds earlier that day, I could have been hit, but I would at least have had a chance to move out of the way since I was running against traffic and would have seen it coming. If I were running with traffic, even though I was on the sidewalk, I could have been mowed down from behind. Tight lipped Having cars "on your 6" is never a good thing, and you should always try to avoid it when possible.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I always try to run against the traffic, sidewalk or not. In addition to the safety benefits as mentioned above, my area has a lot of teenagers that think it's funny to honk or yell things as they go by. If I see them coming, the sudden noise doesn't startle me like it does when they are behind me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

thanks, that is what I have been doing, I just wasn't sure if those were polite - one-finger waves or not Big grin ... just thought I would ask

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

Love your user name! so cute! Smile
              2009: BQ?
                I live in a hilly area, so I tend to have to go back and forth due to blind curves and blind hills with very narrow roads and no shoulders. My son went with me the other day, and I was trying to teach him how/when to cross the roads, a difficult thing for a 13 year old to grasp...But yes, generally, I run against traffic.
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                  I also run in an area with lots of teens. I am less concerned with sudden noises, yelling, honking etc. as I am flyin objects. I know it's karma coming back to me from when I was a teen, but that's another story for another thread ;-o
                  "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"