why do you live where you live? (Read 809 times)

OK, for some of us, this is not a choice. But, for those of you could and can do move around, why are you where you are now? This question occurred to me today as I was biking down the beautiful beach path in near perfect weather. I've been getting a bit sick of life in Los Angeles, but I know it would be very hard for me to give up the access to fun outside stuff that I have (biking whenever, year round outdoor pools, running in t(or no)shirt in January, access to amazing skiing, etc).
      we moved to wellington, NZ about 10 months ago. we moved for some of the reasons you talk about. high on my list: a culture that embraces sport rather than ridiculing those who pursue it access to fabulous running and cycling trails a beautiful bay for sea swimming easy journey to work - meaning less commuting time and more time for training - as well as being able to walk to work if i want to a small city but with all the advantages of living in the capital (arts, restaurants, music) i can't imagine choosing to live anywhere else now
      derek

I moved to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area about 18 months ago. I could have moved anywhere in the US that I wanted as I was going to be telecommuting from home and my company was paying for my relocation. I wasn't a runner at the time, nor was I an outdoors person, so that wasn't a factor. The main factors in my decision were: - Reasonable housing cost. We bought a new 3,500 sq ft house for a lot less that a small 3-bedroom would have cost in S. FL. - We wanted a nice neighborhood with good schools as our daughter was getting close to entering the public school system. - Near a major airport (DFW) - Located in the middle of the US so we can fly anywhere in the US within 3 hrs There were other areas we considered, like the Carolinas, but we like to travel a lot and most of the places only had small municipal airports so if we wanted to travel overseas, it would have involved 2 and 3 stop-overs After 18 months, we are still happy with our decision.

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, I'd kill to live on the West Coast. I have a friend in LA and their weather always seems great for running...not too hot, not too cold, low humidity. Here on the "other" west coast of MI we have miserably humid Summers, cold, snowy winters (and this area along the Lake MI coastline has one of the highest percentages of cloudy days in the nation), pollen, mold, and all sorts of other things that set my allergies off much of the year. Ick. And MI currently has the highest unemployment...if DH found a job elsewhere I'd not be all that upset.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Got stuck here due to injury during Christmas vacation in 2001. Helps that dh is from the East Coast. MTA: born and raised on the west coast.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Now that was a bath...

Moved to Auckland New Zealand from London England 3 years ago because I wanted a better quality of life for my children. Our weekends used to be spent battling traffic to go spend more money at the shops. Now we cruise to the beach and chill. New Zealand has forgotten the rat race on the whole. Plus my husband is a kiwi, so that drove us to come to this upside down world! Funny - I always thought I would end up living in New York after London - but life changes ya and I wanted a slower pace and more quality time with my husband and kids. I eventually want to move closer to the beach but my elderly FIL lives here and we wanted to spend time with him when we came back. Claire xxx
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

My family is from Maine; my mother moved to CT when she graduated high school which is where I was born and raised some years later. I knew that I would want to move to Maine once I graduated from college, and within a few years after I graduated I knew that my mother and godmother would be retiring and moving back to Maine. Two of my uncles still live in Maine, and the other isn't too far away in Massachussetts (especially since I live in Southern Maine). The climate agrees with me; I don't get cold. I'll be staying here a long time most likely, since I met my wife here. She was born, raised, and schooled in Maine, went to Chicago for a few years, and then came back and met me. I went to school in Rochester, NY, and between my last class and finals I drove to Maine for an interview. Two weeks later I was moving in and starting work.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Born in Bristol PA. Living currently about 25 minutes from Philly. Have lived in about 15 cities/towns throughout PA in my life so far. Lived in Texas for about 5 months, I like it there but didn't care for the Scorpions or the Fire Ants. I don't see me ever not living in PA. I like how I can easily travel to the mountains or to the ocean in just a matter of an hour. Smile MTA: Where we live is ideal for us, just 4 minutes from my work. 20 from my husband's work. An hour from my family, 30 minutes from my husband's family and we love the school district for our children.

Michelle

Born in Bristol PA. Living currently about 25 minutes from Philly. Have lived in about 15 cities/towns throughout PA in my life so far. Lived in Texas for about 5 months, I like it there but didn't care for the Scorpions or the Fire Ants. I don't see me ever not living in PA. I like how I can easily travel to the mountains or to the ocean in just a matter of an hour. Smile
                    So where does Mississippi come in?

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I've lived in San Diego most of my life...spent 5 hellacious years in TN. a step father was involved. 'nuff said. anywhooooo. I just so happened to marry an ocean lifeguard and you pretty much can only do that if you are near an ocean. Tongue I love it here. Everything about it. If I could ask for one thing, I'd love some nice tree lined trails nearby...instead our perfect weather lends itself to people living in our canyons and near our trails. It's just not safe to run alone.

Jennifer mm#1231

I just so happened to marry an ocean lifeguard and you pretty much can only do that if you are near an ocean. Tongue
                        Big grin We moved to Anchorage for DH's job - but we wanted to move here - the adventure of it. It was supposed to be a 5 year adventure.....that was 23 years ago....... Winters are tough here - particularly the dark, the icy roads, and the fact that once it snows - it sticks till "break up". Did I mention long, cold, dark winters...But the summers, there is no where else I would want to be - not even Hawaii Wink We have mountains and ocean, well not like Jen's but still beautiful. Life is more laid back here. We are like a big small town. We have talked about the day we would leave Alaska for milder climates, but, I am so acclimated to the cooler temperatures, I'm having a hard time coming up with a better place for us. I don't think I want to move anymore. Let's see - 3.5 hours to Seattle, about 5 hrs to Hawaii.... Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

So where does Mississippi come in?
                          One of my daughter's friends had trouble pronouncing my name...Mrs. Sipe, she said it "sippy". MRS-SIPPY. Smile

Michelle

Another Passion

One of my daughter's friends had trouble pronouncing my name...Mrs. Sipe, she said it "sippy". MRS-SIPPY. Smile
                            I had often wondered this as well. Thanks for clearing it up Mrs. Sippy. Big grin

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

madness baby

I came to LA from the south/a stint in Boston for grad school. I finished grad school and still haven't left. . . I love being a bike ride away from the beach, near the mountains, and in driving distance to some amazing places. You can't beat 85 degree weather and a sunburn in late October. But I probably won't be this spoiled forever. Smile
                              deb
                                Man, I'd kill to live on the West Coast. I have a friend in LA and their weather always seems great for running...not too hot, not too cold, low humidity. Here on the "other" west coast of MI we have miserably humid Summers, cold, snowy winters (and this area along the Lake MI coastline has one of the highest percentages of cloudy days in the nation), pollen, mold, and all sorts of other things that set my allergies off much of the year. Ick. And MI currently has the highest unemployment...if DH found a job elsewhere I'd not be all that upset.
                                I left MI for about 6 years. Spent 3 in Florida, and 3 in Vegas. When I left, I never thought I would come back. But sure enough, here I am. Michigan currently sucks for a lot of things, no doubt, but I bet you will miss it once you leave. Smile