running by feel...what did I do wrong? (Read 1495 times)

The Greatest of All Time

I totally agree. And I am serious. I got to say that when the posts go over 2 paragraphs, I lose interest and don't even bother reading them with the exception of several posters (Jake is one of those several).
    "Humor is the only real path to running success"---Some Random Hippie.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      At the risk of putting the thread back on track... I went out last night to run 3 to 5 miles (I did 5) at an effort that felt harder than the original run but not "challengingly difficult". The weather and humidity were both much better than Sunday. It was an ok run, not great. I hit a bit of groove right around 2.5 miles but couldn't really hold on it to. I picked up my pace the last 1/2 mile and threw in some striders. Like I said, the run felt harder than the original run, and while I only took a quick glance at my numbers before I threw my 305 in the drawer, the pace was just about the same or maybe a few seconds slower. Moral of the story, I had a really good day on Sunday even though it was hot. It had been so long since I had a good day that I assumed something was wrong. Order has been restored and you may go back to your regular programming. On a side note, my hamstring was tight before the run, didn't get worse during the run, but then I didn't have a chance to stretch at all when I got home and the hammy woke me up in the middle of the night when it tightened up. I'm going to get a deep tissue massage on it this weekend.
      2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Why is it sideways?

Be careful with that hamstring, Jay. They're really hard to heal. If it's painful in the upper hamstring, you might try to find a tennis ball to sit on during work or in the car. Seems to help me. Also, for what it's worth, you should go back and read mikey's post. It's easy to get caught up in each individual run, comparing them one to the other, but progress in running is more about consistency over weeks, months, and years. Live to fight another day. It's an endurance sport after all--it's the running, piles of it, that will get you there.

Why is it sideways?

It's an endurance sport after all--it's the running, piles of it, that will get you there.
          And, this is something, that apparently even curmudgeon Berner and I can get together on. Berner's log. DAMN!
          Mishka-old log

Nice job, Berner!
            JakeKnight

I totally agree. And I am serious. I got to say that when the posts go over 2 paragraphs, I lose interest and don't even bother reading them with the exception of several posters (Jake is one of those several).
              Aw, shucks, Slosh. Blush

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Be careful with that hamstring, Jay. They're really hard to heal. If it's painful in the upper hamstring, you might try to find a tennis ball to sit on during work or in the car. Seems to help me.
                Yeah, the pain is high...up towards the, uh, glute. Hard to heal is an understatement. I half-jokingly asked my boss if I could bring a trainer in to ride while I work. I don't even have enough room under my desk to extend my leg straight. I'll give the tennis ball a go.
                2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Feeling the growl again

Berner, I like your post (the LONG one) and you have some decent points. However, you are taking a big leap off a tall cliff to claim "your" method is somehow the "scientific" one. You make a ton of assumptions, then go forward and train that way without testing any of your hypotheses. That is in no way scientific. At least with what I recommend, I've gone out and tested it on myself and many others. Just because you can gather data and have numbers does not make it scientific. Your cult analogy is almost laughable. If you actually read what we write, we think the tehcnology can be good tools but can be relied on too heavily. You, on the other hand, completely dismiss running by feel. It appears your words are more appropriately directed at yourself than me. I own a GPS and HRM, use the GPS almost daily and the HRM occasionally. When was the last time you left both at home and just ran?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

How many miles and shoes to take 8-9min off a 5K? Well, I only have data from 2000 forward. So I could figure out miles/shoes for the past 8.5 years....I think the mileages were around 3000-3500-3700-4000-3700-3800-4000-2900 thru 2007. My PR was in 2006, the last 4000 mile year listed. My PR at the beginning of 2000 was 16:13. So in the time between 16:13 and that 15:18 (equivalent to sub-14:50 if it had been a 5K and not the 2nd half of a 10K) I ran about 23,750 miles it looks like. Now that isn't really representative, things are rarely linear in running. I progressed steadily from 2000-2003, but then plateaued (iron-deficient anemia it turned out) from 2004-2005 before reaching peak form in 2006. (Note my two best years race time-wise were both 4000 mile + years). To go back further, to when my PR was in the 22:XX range would be 1992. I was probably running only 1000 miles or so a year back then. I'd guess my mileage from 1992-1994 was only 1000 mpy, then 1995-1996 about 1500 mpy. 1997-1999 was college so 2000-2500 mpy. So 13,000 miles from 1992-1999 to go from 22:XX to 16:13. So I'd guesstimate about 37,000 miles total over 16 years to go from 22:XX to 15:18 (14:50ish shape). Note the rapid progression despite apparent diminishing returns after many years of running when I cranked the volume. Pairs of shoes? I have put exactly 700 miles on each pair before retiring them since about 2001. Before then it was less, so say I have averaged 600 miles per pair of shoes overall. 37,000/600 = about 62 pairs of shoes, most of which are still in my mud room ;D

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, the pain is high...up towards the, uh, glute. Hard to heal is an understatement. I half-jokingly asked my boss if I could bring a trainer in to ride while I work. I don't even have enough room under my desk to extend my leg straight. I'll give the tennis ball a go.
                      ooooh yeah that is a tough spot. Good luck with the massage. I've also had luck with swimming - kind of massages and loosens it without working too hard. But swimming is a PITA X-training --cant just hop out for a quick 30 minutes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JimR

So I'd guesstimate about 37,000 miles total over 16 years to go from 22:XX to 15:18 (14:50ish shape). Note the rapid progression despite apparent diminishing returns after many years of running when I cranked the volume. Pairs of shoes? I have put exactly 700 miles on each pair before retiring them since about 2001. Before then it was less, so say I have averaged 600 miles per pair of shoes overall. 37,000/600 = about 62 pairs of shoes, most of which are still in my mud room ;D
                        kewl, what shoes do you race in?
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I may have posted this already in this thread, but I'm too lazy to check: hamstring exercises: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0206.htm

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Berner, I like your post (the LONG one) and you have some decent points. However, you are taking a big leap off a tall cliff to claim "your" method is somehow the "scientific" one. You make a ton of assumptions, then go forward and train that way without testing any of your hypotheses. That is in no way scientific.
                            No debate from me on this point. As I said in the "Yesteryear" thread:
                            So, ironically enough, it comes down to the fact that I have "faith" in Pfitz (and his science).
                            Unfortunately, there seem to be so many variables and the applicable systems appear to be so complex that I don't think anyone has -- and perhaps never will -- do a scientifically rigorous examination to identify the true "optimal" training methods. So in the absence of an obtainable definite answer, I do what we all do ... I conduct an experiment of one. I see what works for me, and I try very hard to understand why it works for me. Then I try to understand, scientifically and anecdotally, which elements of what worked for me might have more universal impact.
                            You, on the other hand, completely dismiss running by feel. It appears your words are more appropriately directed at yourself than me. I own a GPS and HRM, use the GPS almost daily and the HRM occasionally. When was the last time you left both at home and just ran?
                            Will I lose credibility if I admit that my Garmin sits on the table for the majority of my runs? That even when I do wear the Garmin, I hardly ever use the HR monitor anymore? Will I be pilloried if I concede that I'm getting good enough at self-pacing to run most of my workouts at my target paces with only the help of an old Timex watch? Truth is that when I say these things are tools to help a runner, that's truly what I mean. They're not crutches, and they're not magic talisman either. That being said, I'll give you one real-world example of what I like about training under a cookie-cutter schedule with all my gadgets. Yesterday, my legs were tired. If I had followed my body's signals, I would have done a slow, short recovery run and called it a bad day. Instead, I looked at my beloved Pfitzinger schedule and did the interval workout listed (6x1000) for the simple and exclusive reason that it was on the schedule. From reading, I knew it was an important workout, I knew how it fit into this week's training cycle and how it fit into my current mesocycle leading up to my Fall marathon. So it didn't matter how I felt; I just went out and did the damn run because that's what Pete said to do. Schedule > feel. In this instance. But further, understand that I don't have a track accessible to me. So how to do an interval workout? GPS technology to the rescue. I simply programed the intervals into the Garmin, and my normal running path became my track. Instead of having another excuse or barrier to complete the workout, the technology provided a means to facilitate my training. Further still, Chicago is known to have its fair share of windy days, yesterday being no exception. Self-pacing can be tricky in strong winds, at least in my experience, especially when the winds are gusting and swirling as they tend to do near the lakeshore where I run. Had I tried to run my intervals solely by feel, I have no doubts that the winds would messed up my pacing severely. Instead, with my trusty Garmin, I was able to hold consistent paces through every interval (+/- 3 seconds) regardless of the winds and regardless of my fatigue level or body feeling. So, in this one example, rigid adherence to plan + effective use of gadget = successful quality workout. ETA: Jeff, Mishka - thanks!

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Spaniel, if you were to run 1000 mpy for 1-2 years, what do you think would happen to your 5k time?
                                How many miles and shoes to take 8-9min off a 5K? Well, I only have data from 2000 forward. So I could figure out miles/shoes for the past 8.5 years....I think the mileages were around 3000-3500-3700-4000-3700-3800-4000-2900 thru 2007. My PR was in 2006, the last 4000 mile year listed. My PR at the beginning of 2000 was 16:13. So in the time between 16:13 and that 15:18 (equivalent to sub-14:50 if it had been a 5K and not the 2nd half of a 10K) I ran about 23,750 miles it looks like. Now that isn't really representative, things are rarely linear in running. I progressed steadily from 2000-2003, but then plateaued (iron-deficient anemia it turned out) from 2004-2005 before reaching peak form in 2006. (Note my two best years race time-wise were both 4000 mile + years). To go back further, to when my PR was in the 22:XX range would be 1992. I was probably running only 1000 miles or so a year back then. I'd guess my mileage from 1992-1994 was only 1000 mpy, then 1995-1996 about 1500 mpy. 1997-1999 was college so 2000-2500 mpy. So 13,000 miles from 1992-1999 to go from 22:XX to 16:13. So I'd guesstimate about 37,000 miles total over 16 years to go from 22:XX to 15:18 (14:50ish shape). Note the rapid progression despite apparent diminishing returns after many years of running when I cranked the volume. Pairs of shoes? I have put exactly 700 miles on each pair before retiring them since about 2001. Before then it was less, so say I have averaged 600 miles per pair of shoes overall. 37,000/600 = about 62 pairs of shoes, most of which are still in my mud room ;D
                                I still can't get my head around 4,000 miles a year. That's just a phenomenal number. Even if I could physically log that many miles, I don't know where I'd find the time. I think time is the biggest hurdle I have now to increasing my mileage. In the six years where you averaged over 3,500 miles a year, how did you stay healthy? Did you struggle with any injuries during that period?