Yesteryear Training. (Read 1358 times)

Hawt and sexy

We are getting along. A little healthy discussion never hurt anyone. I heart these kinds of threads. This is exactly the type of thread that leads a person to think about their own training and see what they can try. These threads give people ah-ha moments. Although sometimes they are not pretty, we can all be better for the discussion in the end. If you don't like the topic or ideas presented, and don't feel like learning, there are other threads to read. People always make up in the end and are usually better off in the end. AND this is not the newbie section, it is general running and we ARE discussing general running. I think even a newbie would read this and understand that they have a ton of reading to do. They also will learn, but threads like this give them topics to look up. Google still works folks. Back to the discussion at hand, I like my HRM and having been coached to death by speedwork in the late 80's early 90's, it was exactly what I needed to learn proper pacing in my newest running life. Nothing wrong with that. I could now just run if I wanted to, but I choose not to do so. Does that mean everyone else is wrong? No, it just means that this techy stuff has a place for some, and I am one of them. Now I understand peaking and how to do it right when I feel the need. A lot of that came from running with the aid of technology. It can't hurt to try the stuff, if it is not right for you, you will know. When it comes right down to it though, the best way to train for running is running, and tons of it. That has pretty much been the end all beat all for quite a while and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I'm touching your pants.

You asked for it, Berner. If the moderator were to come down here and ask me who started it I'd look over at you, point my finger, and shout " BERNER...it was HIM; he started it!"
      True. Evil grin I mean, I did come into a thread where the topic was a well-researched, wistful look back on training in the 70's and turn it into a debate on science versus art. But the sentiments expressed have been brewing in my tiny head for some time, and this just happened to be the thread were I let them out. I did consistently acknowledge the merits of both sides of the argument, but some people prefer to paint me as a villain. *shrug*
      I gotta give you credit, though. You sure are running lots, most of it looks easy, and sometimes you run hard. If you don't run yourself into the ground I exepct we will see a much improved runner before too long.
      Thanks, I sure hope you're right. I figured this was a good time for me to champion the "complex" argument because no can accuse me of using the science stuff to avoid hard work.
      Please! Leave. Berner. alone!! I mean it you bastards! Evil grin
      Hehe. No worries for me. I've been insulted much more creatively than anything remotely close in this thread. Wink

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Think Whirled Peas

Great thread. Nothing pertinent to add, but this has got a ton of awesome stuff in it. I'd rank it in the top 5 for RA, if'n we had a ranking system, fo' shizzle. Thanks guys/gals!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

A Saucy Wench

I used a tape and spray paint to mark off 100m intervals on my local road. That track is open all winter long. Cost me $4.39, and about 40 minutes. But then again, I am a simpleton.
          Tsk...in my town that would have cost you $250 in fines for spray painting on the road Wink If someone reported it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

TRAINING IS SIMPLE. MORE MILES= FASTER TIMES. IF NOT THE PEOPLE IN BOSTON REQUIRING A QT HAVE BEEN MISLEADING US FOR A VERY LONGER TIME. Big grin IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW YOU GET THE MILES. JUST FINISHED 10.5 MILES AND 3/4THS OF A VEGGIE PIZZA. NOW THATS TRAINING. Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

running buddies

AND this is not the newbie section, it is general running and we ARE discussing general running. I think even a newbie would read this and understand that they have a ton of reading to do. They also will learn, but threads like this give them topics to look up.
              I'm a newbie, and this thread is both interesting and scarey. I understand I have a ton of running to do. Then I'll think about getting some of the fancier stuff.
              "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

Dave

We are getting along. A little healthy discussion never hurt anyone. I heart these kinds of threads. This is exactly the type of thread that leads a person to think about their own training and see what they can try. These threads give people ah-ha moments. Although sometimes they are not pretty, we can all be better for the discussion in the end. If you don't like the topic or ideas presented, and don't feel like learning, there are other threads to read. People always make up in the end and are usually better off in the end. AND this is not the newbie section, it is general running and we ARE discussing general running. I think even a newbie would read this and understand that they have a ton of reading to do. They also will learn, but threads like this give them topics to look up. Google still works folks. Back to the discussion at hand, I like my HRM and having been coached to death by speedwork in the late 80's early 90's, it was exactly what I needed to learn proper pacing in my newest running life. Nothing wrong with that. I could now just run if I wanted to, but I choose not to do so. Does that mean everyone else is wrong? No, it just means that this techy stuff has a place for some, and I am one of them. Now I understand peaking and how to do it right when I feel the need. A lot of that came from running with the aid of technology. It can't hurt to try the stuff, if it is not right for you, you will know. When it comes right down to it though, the best way to train for running is running, and tons of it. That has pretty much been the end all beat all for quite a while and I don't see that changing any time soon.
                I officially agree with what she said. Now if only I had Willamona's discipline and dedication, I wouldn't be so damn slow. Of course, if I upgraded to the 405 ...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I officially agree with what she said. Now if only I had Willamona's discipline and dedication, I wouldn't be so damn slow. Of course, if I upgraded to the 405 ...
                  I use the GPS to appreciate running in much the same way as stats nuts appreciate baseball stats. Sometimes it helps me find new routes, and piece together better workouts, but the GPS is a distraction while running. On bad days, the distraction may be needed. On good days, maybe I would have run a little better if I hadn't been looking down at my GPS. As an almost full-time GPS user, I'll admit that most days, it would be better left at home.

Hawt and sexy

I don't have a GPS yet. Just a little Polar F4. It works for me, but I think I want to upgrade to a 405 just so I can run just about anywhere and any path and see how far I have gone. I live in an area that is urban but it also has a bunch of random trails in the woods. Running around all willy nilly sounds really nice for a change. The problem is the engineer in me might come out with a Garmin and I might get a touch stat crazy. I really don't want to sit down and analyze my runs to death. It was fun as a beginner, but now I think it would be a bit anal. But that's just me. Lately I have been doing a run or two without the HRM. I am very happy that I can now trust myself to do that. When I first started up this time around no HRM meant that it was going to be a fast run. Now, these runs are about the same pace as a HRM day, and it feels like the same effort. It is nice to be able to understand effort without a gadget. I really wish that easy running or effort was coached more at the HS/college level. But we were all too busy racing each other back then. Maybe now-a-days coaching is different, but I don't think so. The neighbor girl quit cross country last year after 3 days of practice. After she described the workouts to me, I understood that all 3 workouts were intervals. The beginning of my seasons were a week or so of easy runs. It almost sounds like coaching at the HS level has gotten worse. Now, the sample size is small, but my local running board is full of teens that think you have to bang out a workout everyday to be a real runner. If this easy stuff was encouraged at a younger age, I believe the state of American distance running would improve exponentially. If it takes a GPS?HRM to get the point across at that age so be it. But I think the problem is really ego. So one wants to be seen running slowly not matter what their age. Kids should not think that running has to hurt. Whoa. Real life is calling, back for more later.

I'm touching your pants.

However, to blindly follow cookbook training "guidelines" that reflect averages of many people and tell yourself that you are training optimally is kidding yourself.
                      I'll admit you've just identified the kryptonite to the cookbook model. You are absolutely correct that no single authority exists as to the proper or best scientific approach, and indeed, the opinions can vary pretty significantly among researchers. I guess there are only two responses. (1) You could put all your faith in one program, having decided (for whatever reasons) that it is the "best" program to the exclusion of other scientific approaches. I do this, to a certain extent. I'll confess that I fly the Pfitizinger flag proudly, and I do (blindly or otherwise) follow his schedules to the letter. If I can use another author's research to supplement Pfitz, that's great; but all conflicts are resolved in Pete's favor. So, ironically enough, it comes down to the fact that I have "faith" in Pfitz (and his science). (2) You could synthesize the scientific research of many physiologists and use that knowledge to form your own training schedules. A piece from here, a bit from there, etc. Indeed, dare I say that I suspect that a lot of the "simple" runners actually do this, perhaps without consciously thinking about it. I don't know a lot of experienced runners who haven't read a book or two in the day, and I kinda suspect that some of that sciency stuff works its way into their self-made training programs, with or without thinking about it.
                      However, to blindly follow cookbook training "guidelines" that reflect averages of many people and tell yourself that you are training optimally is kidding yourself.
                      Well, since I consider myself to be a perfectly average runner, I think the average cookie-cutter plan is perfect for me. Big grin

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, since I consider myself to be a perfectly average runner, I think the average cookie-cutter plan is perfect for me. Big grin
                        You are faster than I am. Undecided

jules2

You are faster than I am. Undecided
                          But oddly not as fast as I ( compare our 8km ( 5 mile ) and half marathon times ) and I'm a lot older, crook and only run a third of Berners mileage this year. Maybe I'm not using the right scientific theories when training.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

xor

and I'm a lot older, crook
                            That 'splains why you run fast(er). Damn cops.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Running around all willy nilly sounds really nice for a change.
                              Yes Cool

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

srlopez Coming to Seattle Sept 16. Drive up to Vancover,BC. Will run a 10 k in Abbotsford,BC Sept 20 .Will tour Space needle and Victoria. Do you have a favorite eating spot.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter