Competitive family running (Read 1109 times)

Hannibal Granite

Even if you don't win you need to be really close. He said he would beat you easily, which means if he has to sprint hard at the end or work really hard during the race to stay with you then it wasn't 'easy'. Also, since there will be photographic or video evidence finish with a smile on your face even if you have to slow down a bit, that way you can say "I was running easy - see my big smile Smile I didn't want to your fragile male ego to be hurt by getting a public spanking from your mom"

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

mb1973

Does anyone else ever compete against each other within family?
      Every fourth of July my family gathers from around the country at my moms house for the weekend. And every year we have a "family olympics". Running, swimming, flag football, potato sack races, etc...We have no mercy and have no problems destroying each other and then taunting the others mercilessly....It's all in good fun and no one gets offended... Now go out and show him why you are the BOSS!!
        Right before the race. Anthony, me, Charlie, Scott (Scott isn't sure what he was doing, must have been talking) What a perfect race day. The weather was ideal at 50 with a slight wind. The race crowd was around 250. The course was flat, except a small hill near the end. The day was a little off when my daughter backed out of the race due to sleeping over at a friend's house and suddenly not being up for running the race. I was a little upset but I didn't want to force her to run it. My boss met us at the race as planned, she watched our youngest son while we ran. We all agreed our what our goals were. My goal was to finish somewhere between 22 and 23 minutes, and to beat Anthony. Anthony's goal was to come in sometime ahead of me. My husband and my 13 y/o son Charlie, said their goal was to have Charlie beat his last 5k time which was just over 30 minutes. The race started on time and off we went. I started mid-pack and had to work my way out of the crowd. There were a lot of young kids running the race and they have a way of darting to the left or right without warning. That makes for an interesting run! Mile one and two I was way ahead of Anthony and had pretty much written him off, figuring that he must be having a bad race day. So, I plodded away. I raced at an extremely comfortable pace, which was odd since I knew that I shouldn't be so comfy if I'm pushing myself...but I kept at it, thinking that Anthony wasn't near me and I wanted to save energy for when he caught up to me during the final mile. I chatted briefly with a fellow racer as we ran, talking about the Garmin and how we like it...then came the last half mile and the little hill telling me that it was soon over. I rounded the turn and saw the final stretch and the finish line. I still hadn't any indication that Anthony was around me. Ten yards to the finish I look over and wave at my boss and my youngest son and then all of a sudden Anthony zips by me and waving as he says "Hi!"...UGHHHHH!!!! I pushed hard but it simply wasn't enough... HE TROUNCED ME!!!! Fair and square, by 5 seconds....FIVE SECONDS. Here we are in the chute. I was reaching down to tear off my race bib - although from this angle it looks pretty funny! You can see how close Anthony and I were, he's the one RIGHT ahead of me in the blue shirt!!! I'm not that upset, part of me was happy that he beat me, that's the way it should be. BUT now this means war. The next race I plan on being right by his side and using the very same race tactic that he used today. Charlie (my 13 y/o) ran well. He came in 29:18, beating his first 5k time from last year. He was happy. My husband used today's race as a training run since he ran with Charlie. Other wise he would have probably came in right around the same time as me and Anthony. After the race: Charlie (still flush from the race), Scott, Anthony After the race was nice. The YMCA had the awards inside. I won a door prize for a local sporting store, and I placed 2nd in my AG, missing 1st by just 20 seconds. After seeing that I was so close to first I really wish I would have had someone to run with to pace me, and to push me. I do better when I have someone right by my side pushing me to run harder. I'm happy with the race. The last time I ran this course I ran a 27:27. Today I ran 22:57 (Garmin time - will adjust after race times are posted). Anthony ran 22:52. For my first 5k of 2008 I'm happy with my time. Last year's first 5k was 25:42. As far as I'm concerned I'm off to a good start. Big grin My award. One of the best things about today's race was watching a 7 year old collect his award for winning first in his age group, he was thrilled and the whole room cheered and clapped for him, it was great!!! That little guy ran a 26 something! He did great.

Michelle

That was fun to read! Congratulations Michelle! NICE award that you got! Tell Anthony and Charlie congratulations too. You all have got to be thrilled!
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go! Sounds like your son is a smart racer and strategized carefully! Too funny. Congratulations to all of you!
            FastTalkingFatty

great story, and such a pretty family.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

That was fun to read! Congratulations Michelle! NICE award that you got! Tell Anthony and Charlie congratulations too. You all have got to be thrilled!
                Thanks! We are thrilled...well, most of us. My husband just keeps shaking his head at me saying that I "fell asleep at the wheel and let Anthony beat me". My time today was right in line with how my times have been the past year. I've only seen under 22 minutes just twice. I can't seem to get myself past the 22-23 minute times as my regular 5k times and I really want to see a sub 21 before too long. But he does have a point about how Anthony passed me at the end like that. I should have sped up at the end with or without Anthony being there. Oh well, next time...I'll try harder. Big grin I wish that my daughter would have run the race. She would have placed first in her age group if she ran the pace that she does during our practice runs.

Michelle

Way to go! Sounds like your son is a smart racer and strategized carefully! Too funny. Congratulations to all of you!
                  I have to give him a lot of credit. He raced well and said that he had planned from the start to race exactly as he did. I need that kind of discipline. I told him that we should run the race together, 7 mm pace for mile 1 and 2 and then kick it in for the last mile. WELL, that didn't happen. Roll eyes
                  great story, and such a pretty family.
                  Thank you! Smile Today there was sooooo many families racing. A co-worker of my husband was there with his entire family. His oldest boy came in first place with a 16:49! His other children all placed in their AG's as well.

Michelle

Good job! Those grey sweatpants cost Anthony about 20 seconds! Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SMART Approach

Mississippi, You son is young and STRONG with testosterone really starting to flow. He won't let a female beat him. How did he feel after the race? Did it physically kill him to pass you or not? You have this hormonal male going against you each year and he will only get stronger in years to come. Strength and guts really help out in a 5K. I wish you luck but think you should challenge him to a 10K. Then I would put my money on you. FUN REPORT!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mississippi, You son is young and STRONG with testosterone really starting to flow. He won't let a female beat him. How did he feel after the race? Did it physically kill him to pass you or not? You have this hormonal male going against you each year and he will only get stronger in years to come. Strength and guts really help out in a 5K. I wish you luck but think you should challenge him to a 10K. Then I would put my money on you. FUN REPORT!
                        Funny you should ask about how he feels. Today he's in lots of pain. His calves hurt, his hamstrings hurt, his back hurt. He says that he's falling apart!! Yes That being said, I was in no pain after yesterdays race but after today's 22 miler I'm feeling beat and ready to sleep the rest of the day!! Yesterday I did not race my best 5k, I can't figure it out. I had no sense of urgency about the race, which is not usual for me. But, I still had a good race because I learned that I am at the point of feeling 100% comfortable at the pace I ran yesterday so I'm ready for my speed training which will begin after I get back from Ireland. MTA: Anthony and I raced a 10k together last December and I came in ahead of him by two minutes. That was his and my first 10k race and it was in freezing temps with freezing rain. Fun, fun, fun. We ran it together but not "against" each other.

Michelle

Just to let everyone know my official time was 23:06, a total of THREE seconds ahead of my mom's 23:09 Evil grin

SMART Approach

Michelle, Anthony is rubbing it in. Yes, that soreness is the result of the joints not used to not only the regular pounding but pounding with intensity.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Just to let everyone know my official time was 23:06, a total of THREE seconds ahead of my mom's 23:09 Evil grin
                              The race results were posted quickly! I like my Garmin time better!! Big grin Oh well. Yes, you beat me by 3 seconds but that's okay, I forgive you - you evil thing. Tongue
                              Michelle, Anthony is rubbing it in. Yes, that soreness is the result of the joints not used to not only the regular pounding but pounding with intensity.
                              I know he's rubbing it in, just a little, but that's okay. The season is just beginning. I'm going to be a little bold and say that I'll beat him at least once over the spring and summer. And then, I'll rub it in, just a little.

Michelle

One of our family dr's ran the race yesterday too. It's always odd seeing someone like that outside their element. It took me a few seconds to figure out why I knew this woman...then it hit me - "oh yeah, she's my favorite doctor!!!".

Michelle