Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

AXes

When you run 14,406 seconds instead of 14,399 seconds, you certainly can make a lot of criticisms of the training, of the marathon itself, and how you run it.

Thought this line said a lot.  Both about being oh-so-close, and about it not being that big a difference in the big picture.  Thanks for posting the details and thoughts.  It is a big help and motivator for me.   I hope you do try again because as you already know, the real gains are in the training. Also so that you don't look back on this one as your last.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The official time came out today. 4:00:06....I so much wanted to run with a pace group. As I sit here now, I accept two things- 4 hours was near the edge of my ability on Saturday; I chopped off 27 minutes from my PB and have to be satisfied with that. When I started training, 4 hours was not possible....you certainly can make a lot of criticisms of the training, of the marathon itself, and how you run it.

Great job. Your training worked to perfection. Your race day planning could use a little tweaking..

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I ate an entire bag of Chomps from just prior to the gun to the Half mark, but then ate nothing on the second half. In retrospect, I wish I had eaten some more Chomps from Miles 13-18, as that might have helped me somewhat during those last few miles (during which I was suffering from some wooziness). In addition to drinking from my own hydration belt (large bottle of water, small 5oz bottle of Gatorade) I hit my first water station at about Mile 9, and then drank water and/or Powerade at nearly every station after the Half mark.

Not enough eating was huge for me.  During all of my long training runs, I'd eat the same thing for breakfast around 5:15 (toast with pb and honey).  I met with my group at 7 for our runs.  This was always enough food to get me through even on the 20 and 22 miler.  The marathon day was completely different in regards to time and I didn't even take that into consideration.  I woke up at 3:30, ate my usual breakfast, and headed to a downtown hotel (10 minutes from my house) in order to catch a bus at 5 that took us to the starting line (about 30 minutes from downtown hotel).  Anyway, got to the starting line at 6 and the race started at 7.  By 9, I was starving.  All I had was Powerbar gels.  This lack of food and energy really hurt me around 21 to the end.  Defintely learned alot in the first marathon that will come in handy for the next. 

I just realized I'm rambling and nobody cares anyway but I'll still hit the post button. 

Am I doing this right?

OK, I'll jump in.  I'm running Chicago this fall.  It will be my first.  My A goal is sub 4, but being my first I really just want to finish.  I have a couple halfs in the next couple months that should give me a good idea on where my fitness is at. 

Looking forward to keeping up with this thread.  I have a couple months before the "real" training begins for me. 

No excuses....

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I just realized I'm rambling and nobody cares anyway but I'll still hit the post button. 

Thanks for pressing "post." Glad I'm not the only idiot who screwed up his nutrition for his first marathon ... Wink Seriously, thanks for sharing. That's what this forum is for, right? Telling all the boring running stories and details nobody else in our lives will listen to?

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks for pressing "post." Glad I'm not the only idiot who screwed up his nutrition for his first marathon ... Wink Seriously, thanks for sharing. That's what this forum is for, right? Telling all the boring running stories and details nobody else in our lives will listen to?

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Turbolegs

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

theyapper

On the road again...

My first attempt this year at sub 4 is still months away, but I ran a HM last week-end and went under 1:50 for the first time, so that gave me a lot more confidence about this marathon goal.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Turbolegs

My first attempt this year at sub 4 is still months away, but I ran a HM last week-end and went under 1:50 for the first time, so that gave me a lot more confidence about this marathon goal.

Brilliant stuff man. Cant help but think that sub 4 should be fait accompli provided you maintain consistent training mileage. Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

TRIing to beat the heat!

You can add me to the list of hopefuls! Big grin

Tomorrow I will pull the registration trigger on Philly!  This will be my first attempt at the marathon distance and I'm super excited!

November 20th- Philadelphia!!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

updating now, sorry for being away for so long

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Paul, that's a really good development.  Stay fit and you should be in good shape for sub-4 in November.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Congratulations to those who have already made it- and those who came close!

I would like to officially change my attempt from the Toronto marathon in May to the Hamilton Road2 Hope, November 4th.

I have done absolutely no training this spring and cannot possibly run in May, will have to work hard to get ready for November!

Thanks, Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Renee the dog

Put me in.  I'll try in A.C.

nonoruns.........................................Oct 17.............Atlantic City

Thanks!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Time to put up or shut up. I'm in for the Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon on July 24th. If I can't do it here I can't do it at all.