Hydration (Read 672 times)

At what mileage level do you usually begin to bring water with you?
    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

Princess Cancer Pants

It depends upon temperature, as much as mileage...but generally anything over about 8 miles has me bringing some fluids. I'm slow, so 8 miles takes me around 1.5 hours, generally. For 9-10 miles I might just bring my 20oz hand-held bottle, but for runs longer than that I will wear my Amphipod Full-Tilt belt with a 20oz. bottle of Gatorade and 2 10.5oz. bottles of plain water. I've used a 45oz Camelbak in the past, too...works well, but you're limited to a single beverage and it's kind of a pain to clean. The Amphipod bottles are great to just throw in the dishwasher. k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Shiksa

How much would you drink at a time? Would you stop to drink it? I feel silly, but I'm not sure if I understand out hydration on the go works. Most of the time, I am just hot on my skin. I run through people's sprinklers as much as possible. Big grin

Stacy
        I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Was it all a dream?

I'm not a big fan of carrying water, so I have to be running at least 15 mi before I consider dragging along a water bottle. Although I know that isn't the safest plan of attack... I guess I would suggest bringing water if you're running more than an hour.

Hobble Jogger

Marathonmanleto

I try to do my long runs near home where I have my planned water fountain stops. Most municipalities have restrooms and water. When I am away I usually limit my long runs to 12 milers or less and go without--or if it's really warm I'll bring, but it's rare.
              I bring water for all my runs when the weather is hot. When it's not so hot out I only bring water when I'll be running more than 5 miles.

Michelle

I usually won't carry water with me unless I am running for more than 2 hours (20 miles or so). If it is convenient, then I try to plan runs when it is really hot around where I can get water without having to carry it. In fact, I almost never carry water with me. If I am going to be running somewhere where it won't be convenient to carry it, and I am going to need water along the way (even if it is a shorter run) and I can't convince somebody to meet me there with it, then I will just stash some along the route I plan to run. If you bury the water, then it will even stay cool / not get boiling hot.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)