OUCH! (Read 535 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Took a stupid spill down my spiral staircase Thursday night. Long story short, I now have some bruised ribs. Anyone ever bruise or crack ribs before? I can walk around just fine, but there's no running in sight. Just started ramping up my long runs for the start of marathon training too, so I assume I'll be out at least 2 weeks before I can run again. Any suggestions ---aside from not slipping down the stairs again!? Black eye Black eye Black eye Why is it that I'm the most motivated to run when I'm injured and can't!? All weekend I kept seeing people out for a run and I was soooooo envious!!!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Wow... That Sucks Dave~ Yes, I have had two broken ribs also.... from a Dog Walking Accident! Was walking my Golden Retriever with a retractable leash, and he got eye of a squirrel, and took off after it, and I could not get my hand out of the hand grip fast enough, and he pulled me to the ground full force, and I smacked right down on my ribs.... I felt like I punctured something....the most pain i have EVER been in, it literally leaves you breathless. Time is the only thing that will heal you friend, Unfortunately. Did your Doctor tape your ribs up? That only helps a little anyway. Even worse is the news that once you begin to run again, you will have to be VERY SLOW. My ribs will even now act up with running... and my fall was 7 years ago! Shocked Sending you fast healing vibes~ Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow... That Sucks Dave~ Yes, I have had two broken ribs also.... from a Dog Walking Accident! Was walking my Golden Retriever with a retractable leash, and he got eye of a squirrel, and took off after it, and I could not get my hand out of the hand grip fast enough, and he pulled me to the ground full force, and I smacked right down on my ribs.... I felt like I punctured something....the most pain i have EVER been in, it literally leaves you breathless. Time is the only thing that will heal you friend, Unfortunately. Did your Doctor tape your ribs up? That only helps a little anyway. Even worse is the news that once you begin to run again, you will have to be VERY SLOW. My ribs will even now act up with running... and my fall was 7 years ago! Shocked Sending you fast healing vibes~ Smile
        Thanks for the good vibes. Doctor? Ummm, well, I haven't really gone. Although I have an appointment with a sports dr tomorrow to look at my sore toe (from over pronating I think) and a toenail that refuses to die and fall off, but seems to really want to. Anyway, I plan to add the ribs to the appointment so he can tell me there's nothing I can do except wait for it to heal. Sad I have a fun race this coming weekend (Naples Park to Park in Central Park). It ends in a pool swim. I was really looking forward to it, but now I think I'll be on the sidelines while my fiance runs it. Oh well, at least I can cheer.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

I've had sore ribs for the last four weeks since my kick-boxing instructor knee-ed me in the ribs to demonstrate how I wasn't 'covering up' properly - and yes, it really knocked the wind out of me too. I'm not sure if the ribs were cracked or just badly bruised but after a couple of weeks the pain started to ease a bit and since then it only hurts when I breath very deeply. I probably haven't helped the healing process by carrying on running (including a very hilly half-marathon that REALLY made me breath deeply a lot). From what I've read elsewhere, there's not much that can be done to heal rib injuries and taping up doesn't seem to help much. I guess it's worth checking with the doc though, just to be on the safe side. Good luck with the healing and let's hope it doesn't take seven years! Smile
          Paint your life in bright colours.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Get an xray to make sure that your ribs are not cracked and your lungs are not damaged. Take ibuprofen. Ice the painful spot. Blow up balloons about once per hour while awake to keep your lungs expanded. Good luck!

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Oh Dave - that's awful! You're doing well if walking is okay though... A few years ago I did a flying leg scissors down a hilly wooded trail and broke a rib and moving at all was a nightmare - sneezing made me cry. Exercise of any kind took a backseat for a couple of months I think. Just like Cheffy says, time will heal it, but don't rush it. Hang in there. It's a horrible feeling to watch runners when you can't, but try to find a new hobby to help pass the time when you would've been running and hopefully you'll be better sooner than you think. Take care.
              ~ Fly ~
              Only as much as I dream can I be.
              veggies on the run