1st half - 1 hr 50 sound reasonable? (Read 374 times)

Paul in the Peaks

Thanks Ray.

i have two more weeks until taper. I have 25 mile with 11 miles long this week and slightly more the week after. Then taper (though I am running a 10k race a week before but at 1hr 5 mins pace with my wife).

Your history looks very similar. I will see how the next two long runs go before consulting you guys on what my race pace goal might be.

The opinion/advice is so welcome and much more valuable than expensive magazines so thank you all.

P

I love running - after the event...

Full: 3:59:26

Half 1:39

15k 1:17

10k 48:24

5k 22.18

10.1 in 1hr 35. Fairly steady on a hilly windy course with a convenience break..

Could have gone on with same pace and therfore I am now reasonably confident I can break 2 hours (allowing for a flatter/faster course, two more weeks of training and race motivation).

Definitley felt different after 7 miles and the slower pace really helped to get in a groove.

Thats 22 miles this week, 24 next with 11 miles on Sunday, hopefully get a sports massage in the week too

that 10 miler is  pretty close to what I do on Sundays  on a hilly 10 mile out/back.  based on that you should not have any problem breaking 2 hrs & getting down to 1:50 or under.   I have no problem getting well down under 1:50 but I've racked up many more double digit runs.  would be better if you have had more history with 10-15 mile runs.  with only 2 weeks of training left be careful.  you want to be rested/injury free & increasing  intensity/mileage now with only 2 more training weeks  will not really do much except maybe giving you more confidence.   After your upcoming HM & recovery you are in a great position to continue to build for that Oct. HM !!  Continuing on with your training & slowly adding onto your  stress levels (adding intensity/mileage) you will see a great improvement  by October  over your current level.

Stephen1141

Just my .02

Be careful about going too drastic on your "taper." At your mileage level, you dont need to cut back much until a few days out. If you cut too much too soon, you risk feeling flat on raceday. Good luck.

hectortrojan

Have been following a schedule provided by the half marathon organiser. Never ran more than 5 miles before, started in Feb, half is in 4 weeks. Have ran three 10k races in 53, then 48.40 then 48.24 (trail 10k up and down a big hill).

Planning a 10 mile run tomorrow in 90 mins to extend my long run from 8 mile. Planning 10 mile run next week and covering around 20 mile a week.

1 hour 50 looks achievable but worried what I don't know....half course is flat and there are pacers to assist.

all thoughts/comments welcome

I think it is doable based on your 10k and the fact that you can run 10 mile a month before the race.

Paul in the Peaks

I think I will leave the 1:50 decision to the day before then just set my pace. It will be difficult to ignore though as I am a competitive so and so

my taper has three runs a week around the 2-4 mile mark each time.

Not looking forward to the 11 miler on Sunday to be honest, but will feel great after.

another question for you helpful people....how long do I NOT run for after the event?

5k 22.18

keeponrunning

I think I will leave the 1:50 decision to the day before then just set my pace. It will be difficult to ignore though as I am a competitive so and so

my taper has three runs a week around the 2-4 mile mark each time.

Not looking forward to the 11 miler on Sunday to be honest, but will feel great after.

another question for you helpful people....how long do I NOT run for after the event?

That's highly subjective.  I believe I took a 2 or 3 days off after my first half.  I now only take 1 day off after a half.  Just go by feel.  My rule is I wait til I can walk down stairs without grimacing, then I try to run 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Paul in the Peaks

I plan to take minimum of a week! Maybe something gentle the following Sunday..

5k 22.18

no need to take a full week off, in fact I would suggest you get out the very next day but just do an easy run/walk of 15-20 minutes.   that is if you are not injured or destroyed & cant even walk.   do this for next couple days & then take a day or so off.  my experience is that it helps to recover abit sooner.  yes you need time to recover so for  1-2 weeks after the HM take it very very easy & then slowly start back into your planned Oct HM training.    just my thoughts & of course Im not an elite athlete.

runmichigan

I plan to take minimum of a week! Maybe something gentle the following Sunday..

I recommend doing a walk or slow jog of a couple of miles the day after the half marathon.  This will help flush out the waste products.  This assumes you are not injured.  On day 2 after the half marathon, I recommend doing a reverse taper.  So whatever you did two days before the half, you do two days after the half.  You slowly build back up to where your training was.

Paul in the Peaks

Thanks Taper folk..

Ran much of half marathon course this morning and its definetly flat (good right?)

Managed 11.4 in 1:42:23 and with 8:30 pace in last two miles.

Massage tomorrow is going to hurt...

5k 22.18

Paul,  unless that 11.4 run was at or close to all out effort you will not have any problem with sub 1:50 HM, or unless that was on flat course & the HM is hilly.

You are hitting training runs very similar to what I usually do.  I think you need to adjust to sub 1:48 goal or closer to 1:45 or 1:46.  Depends on race day weather or the course itself.  If your training runs are similar or tougher (ie: hills)  than the HM course you will blow away that 1:50 goal!

Paul in the Peaks

That's great to hear Skyedog, it's all new to me. Today was the furthest I have ever ran as was last week.

i am not a fitness freak (I have lost 10lb since Feb) so I haven't any real history or data to lean on.

todays run was on 50% of the HM course but conditions were favourable. I planned a 9min pace, loosely, and only accelerated to 8.30 for the last two miles because I felt ok and wanted to test 1hr 50 pace. I feel sore now but no more than after a 10k race, I will finish this last week of full training and see how I feel next Monday. As it stands I suspect I will try to track the 1hr 50 pacer but listen to my legs at the same time.

thanks for encouragement

Paul

5k 22.18

Paul in the Peaks

In the last week of my training block before taper.

I decided to do a tempo run and wear a HR strap for the first time (wife bought one with a new watch)

I ran pretty intensely on a hilly 10K route and my HR averaged 150 and peaked 175. I am 42 does that sound too high?

5k 22.18

rmcj001

HR is too variable to say.  The formulas are based on "average" and we have no idea what the standard deviations are/were when they did the calculations.  Even if we did, it may or may not have any relationship to you and we would only be able to determine if you're an outlier, but still wouldn't know if it is "too" high.  The only way to know if it was too high is what your max heart rate is and the only real way to determine that is to test for it.  The real question is how did it feel to you?  Did you feel like you were working hard? Max effort?  Medium effort?  Easy effort?  Let face it, some guys your age will have a MHR of 220 and some below 150, neither will have any bearing on what your MHR is or what is too high for you.

Ray

Paul in the Peaks

it was a tempo run and I had one eye on a pb (I am improving as I get fitter). I felt like I gave it 90% and was breathing fairly heavy. Interestingly the 175 was in the first mile on only a steady incline and I felt ok, strange...

how would I work out my ceiling? Through using it each time and aggregating?

5k 22.18