Why does weekly mileage matter so much? (Read 3293 times)

C-R

"

"

You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes you really just want to ship
    them off to the glue factory instead and save the water for a horse that
    will appreciate it.

Absolutely awesome. Ha

Oh and Ace - why not pick a marathon in the fall to train on your miles/intensity and lace it up against someone who runs higher volume. Perhaps you can find an older runner to remove the age advantage. You'll see firsthand how volume works. If that other person waits around the finish line long enough for you.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

grinch031

I mean, really?  Even after I wrote you off I took the time to explain this very issue to you in great detail, and you still act as though you didn't even read it.  I'm done.  You're either a true troll or too clueless to learn what you need to to reach your goals.

You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes you really just want to ship them off to the glue factory instead and save the water for a horse that will appreciate it.

MTA:  Going back and deleting all your posts then continuing to post on the thread afterwards.  I think this tells us all we need to know about you.

I appreciate you answering the question, but I don't understand why you and so many other people on this board have serious reading comprehension problems.

I mean I post an honest question, and get attacked and mocked endlessly over it.  Then when I begin to explain the basis for my original question, I am further attacked!

I appreciate you answering the question, but I don't understand why you and so many other people on this board have serious reading comprehension problems.

I mean I post an honest question, and get attacked and mocked endlessly over it.  Then when I begin to explain the basis for my original question, I am further attacked!

Someone just wrote you paragraphs upon paragraphs of good advice and your response is that he has a reading comprehension problem?  This is the epitome of rudeness. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Scout7

So stop posting.  Problem solved.  I mean, if you don't like the content of the thread, you don't have to read it.  And if you read it, you don't have to respond to it.

Unless, of course, you are either a masochist, a troll, or an idiot.

Any message board veteran should know this.

Ohhhh.....warm fuzzies.......

Lazy idiot

And if you read it, you don't have to respond to it.

Not me.  I'm powerless to resist the replying.  And when I do, I type as fast as I can... every time.  And I wonder why I have so many typos. 

Tick tock

Scout7

Not me.  I'm powerless to resist the replying.  And when I do, I type as fast as I can... every time.  And I wonder why I have so many typos. 

You're not the ball whacking stud that Aces is, though.

Hey, we have an Ace.  Where the heck is Gary?  Yo, Ace, where's your other half?

xor

You weren't attacked or poked for posting an honest question.  Nor were you attacked for explaining the basis. People tried to engage you normally.  Spaniel, in fact, tried to engage you normally long after most others had thrown in the towel.

You were attacked because of your tone and unwillingness to read the helpful information that people provided to you, free of charge.

You are the one with the serious reading comprehension problem.  And I think it is an act. And I think you are projecting it outward as a further attempt to troll.

So, I took the bait on this one from you... woohoo... but at least I did it consciously.

You smell like vinegar and water.

xor

Also, your mother is a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Leopard

IMHO slower easy runs are even more valuable than this.  I will differentiate "easy runs" from "recovery runs".  Recovery runs are done the same day as, or the day after, a race or hard workout.  The sole purpose is really to get out and loosen up, circulate the blood and recover from the previous day's workout. 

An easy run serves an additional purpose.  Simply volume and time running will add conditioning to the cardiovascular system, mitochondrial numbers, as well as muscular strength and endurance.  100 mile weeks were gold for my 5K times because when I came down from that my legs were incredibly strong.  Mile-for-mile you don't get the same benefit as from faster workouts, but you can run a lot more miles easy than you can fast workouts in a week.

Even when I was running 100-120 mpw, only about 20% of my miles were MP or faster.  That 80-100 miles of additional easy running was NOT log padding.

Dave, did you read this post?  I think it has been laid out for you by people on this forum exactly why lots of slow running is important. That was your original question, and it has been answered.  You are not making any friends by not reading the advice people give and just arguing with them about how unfriendly they are.

PR's 5K: 18:37, 10K: 39:51, 15K: 58:18, Half Marathon: 1:25:51 Marathon 3:19:15

2017 Goal: getting fit and lean again, before it's too late!

Scout7

Now go away or I will taunt you a second time.

Wait....I think I'm up to fifth time now.  I lose track.

WHAT!

oh, nm.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

grinch031

Dave, did you read this post?  I think it has been laid out for you by people on this forum exactly why lots of slow running is important. That was your original question, and it has been answered.  You are not making any friends by not reading the advice people give and just arguing with them about how unfriendly they are.

I bet you can't answer this question.

When was the last post in which I refused to read and accept the advice people gave?  The fact is I read the advice already and accepted it.  But I felt interested in continuing to discuss why I had the beliefs that I had coming onto this board, and somehow thats not acceptable. 

Is there a rule that you can't just discuss something for the heck of it, but instead you have to ask a question, get an answer, and then leave the board?  Is that really how things work around here?  So much for a friendly environment.

Scout7

I bet you can't answer this question.

When was the last post in which I refused to read and accept the advice people gave?  The fact is I read the advice already and accepted it.  But I felt interested in continuing to discuss why I had the beliefs that I had coming onto this board, and somehow thats not acceptable. 

Is there a rule that you can't just discuss something for the heck of it, but instead you have to ask a question, get an answer, and then leave the board?  Is that really how things work around here?  So much for a friendly environment.

Christ in a race car.  Yes.  That's how it works.  So.....are you leaving yet?

xor

Rules? No.

But there are various ways to engage folks you don't know.  Some are more effective than others.

As for answering your question, it is an impossible request because you deleted your own posts.  My recollection... all joking and poking aside... is that you pretty much started off being kind of a jackass.  Sure, Nobby's initial post was over-the-top, but 1) others were not and 2) Nobby came back and apologized.

Before you deleted your posts, I did not detect many "thanks for the good info" replies by you.  I saw a lot more "you people are idiots" posts.

But you know this already.  You are doing a good job at keeping me engaged.  It's the chum.

grinch031

Rules? No.

But there are various ways to engage folks you don't know.  Some are more effective than others.

As for answering your question, it is an impossible request because you deleted your own posts.  My recollection... all joking and poking aside... is that you pretty much started off being kind of a jackass.  Sure, Nobby's initial post was over-the-top, but 1) others were not and 2) Nobby came back and apologized.

Before you deleted your posts, I did not detect many "thanks for the good info" replies by you.  I saw a lot more "you people are idiots" posts.

But you know this already.  You are doing a good job at keeping me engaged.  It's the chum.

I already got my questions answered, but I was still willing to discuss my initial thoughts for those interested.  

Yes I deleted my posts, but only because there was way too much lack of maturity on this board to handle this discussion.