2023 The Waltons: Racing & Training Thread (Read 301 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all. Won't be around on here a lot the next few days I expect, but hope everyone is going well.

Good luck and best wishes!   See you whenever you have time/opportunity to return!

Half-Crazy - I'm sorry about the bug - it seems to be going around.  I'm glad that you're at least well enough not to waste vacation days on this (I'm assuming you have combined vacation/sick leave).

Watson - I'm assuming that the two runs on Saturday were run commuting to/from something?

Steve - I hope you really enjoy this upcoming weekend.  If you can have fun, I think all else will fall into place.

James - it seems like the issues move back and forth between sides and between hamstring and glute?  If so, I would think that's much preferable to having all the issues in one muscle.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Darkwave, no, I have separare sick & vacation time. I just seem to have really bad luck recently about being sick when I have time off.

Oh, we had neighborhood excitement last night, probably just after I typed up my post. I weent into the kitchen and saw the neighbor;s kid being wheleled up our hill on a stretcher with a ton of EMS, police and the neighbor up the street who is a firefighter. I could piece together dirt bike accident, but sent DH a text asking WTF. Kid was riding in crocs, foot slipped into the chain. So some sort of lower leg injury, assuming it looked bad if dad called 911.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks watson, half crazy and darkwave.  As I said on the other thread, weather doesn't look great but not terrible.  I'm just looking forward to getting into it.  I'm hoping there will be people to run with but I'm resigned to a solo run so any company will be a bonus.

Half Crazy - Hope the kid is okay without any lasting damage.  I'd say he will have learned his lesson...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Darkwave - Tue & Sun runs were to & from the gym.

Dirt bike accidental sounds painful.  Foot caught in a chain sounds could be significant soft tissue injuries.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mark – all the best to you and your family. Fingers crossed!

James – interesting concept of averaging the yearly weeks and very solid averages. I will incorporate this as well. Mine is around 41 miles per week but fastly decreasing, as I am now at the beginning of a new training cycle.

Fred – go for the sub 4 marathon. It’s you and me together in this quest. I know however how to do it – just don’t do the silly mistakes that I did 1 month ago: don’t get injured, run far more often, hydrate well during the race, stick to your pace no matter what. 😊

Steve – you are really strong, your taper looks pretty tough, high mileage still. But that is probably just because you run every day. Good luck for the last week prior to the race.

Watson – that Club Rooms then Mangaroa run was pretty amazing. Especially with that climbing in there.

Half – hope you are feeling better! Get well! Sounds wild, Crocs are dangerous slipers and an eye sore. I don’t own any, but wouldn’t you sweat a lot in those? I mean it pure plastic….

Last week for me – first week with some quality. Feeling ok, some niggles but that is probably general body decay more than anything else. 6.12h time on feet, with 2 hours of hiking. I have lost some weight but not too much – however, my inner thighs are now the cause for constant chafing. Never had this before – I might have thicker thighs now than prior to the first marathon cycle. I don’t like running in tights and will have to look for some shorts that help preventing this. Any recommendations are more than welcome!!!

Date

Name

mi

km

Duration

Avg/mi

Avg/km

Elevation Gain
            in m

22/05

Some easy, some quality. Temperatures are on the rise.

01:34:00

09:13

05:44

23/05

The real morning shakeout

01:03:28

09:43

06:02

25/05

Lunch Run full of ups and downs

01:08:27

10:17

06:23

26/05

The morning shakeup

01:43:34

09:15

05:45

28/05

Morning Run

00:43:26

11:37

07:14

28/05

Lunch Hike

01:39:05

28:09

17:29

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Mark - I hope your wife and newborn will both be healthy and the delivery goes without complications.

Mick - I've run 3 marathons, though none recently, so I think I know which mistakes not to repeat.  I also have the benefit of having run the NYC course before.  It's always good to take to heart the things that didn't go well.  When is your next attempt at sub-4?  As to chafing, you can look for shorts that have compression leggings that come down mid-thigh while having an outer layer that looks like regular shorts.  That way you get chafing protection without looking like you're in tights.

Steve - Good luck on Sunday and I hope you do find someone to run with.  I have found running alone in a race makes it harder for me to keep a steady pace.  Low-key can definitely be a good way to go.

HCK - That's the kind of neighborhood excitement nobody needs.  I hope the kid isn't too badly injured.  I hope you quickly get over whatever bug you have.  Did you start with the Daniels speed sessions yet, or did whatever you came down with delay that?

Watson - Nice week of running and biking.  Is the biking part of training for a biathlon?

James - How long does it usually take you to acclimate to warmer weather?  Do the warmer temps help your legs loosen up more quickly?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I participated in my first ParkRun last week.  It was a nice experience and I hope to make it something of a habit.  The day was a bit warm and my minimal-grip street racers weren't the best shoe for the crushed limestone surface, but I had fun and felt good about my result.  Maybe I'll try trail shoes next time.  I'm also trying to make the 10-mile run with ≈ 600' of elevation part of my weekly work.  37.1 miles / 59.7km / 6:20:40 for the week as I start ramping up to get back to 40 miles/week after six weeks of taking it a little easy post-spring-half-season.

Date Course Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
                5/22/2023   Easy   6.1 mi 1:04:21 10:33  68
                5/23/2023   Easy/Hill 10.0 mi 1:42:09 10:13  57
                5/25/2023   Easy   6.5 mi 1:04:44   9:58  50
                5/26/2023   Easy   5.2 mi    54:34 10:30  66
                5/27/2023   Easy   1.0 mi    10:35 10:36  64
                5/27/2023

D&R ParkRun

Race   5.0 km    25:44   8:17  64
                5/28/2023   Easy   5.2 mi    58:33 11:16  52

JamesD

JamesD

James - How long does it usually take you to acclimate to warmer weather?  Do the warmer temps help your legs loosen up more quickly?

I read somewhere that it takes 10 runs of an hour or more to get acclimated to higher temperatures; that seems about right, though it might not take quite as long if it's hot every day.  Warmer temperatures definitely help me loosen up faster, as does running in the afternoon.  My internal thermostat seems to be about 10 degrees F higher than most people's; at this time of year my dividing line between pleasantly warm and hot is about 85/29, while later in the summer it'll be about 90/32 if the humidity isn't too bad.  On the other hand, anything below 60/15 is cooler than I like.  I think it's mainly because I'm skinny, but being older may make a difference too.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Fred - I wasn't trying to imply that I have more experience in racing the marathon distance. Just tried to point out all of my mistakes - self destructive behaviour. I know that you are well aware of what is to come in NYC - and you will do great I am sure. I will probably look for a flat course here in Europe. I might also be over in the US around the NYC race time - but then I would have to buy someone else's bib, or do they check ID's now? I am sure they do, as they did in Boston.

James - that is so very hot at 29 celsius - I can barely walk in this heat. I was talking about this with a friend of mine. My theory was: I believe fall marathons are easier than spring marathons. Because you race in colder conditions than the training temps. Conversily the spring marathon has you running in much warmer temperatures than training (well it was the case for me at least). I didn't know the 10 hour rule of acclimatization, that makes sense though!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - I wasn't trying to imply that I have more experience in racing the marathon distance.

Don't worry, I didn't take offense or anything like that.

I have no idea about ID checks.  I guess I'll find out later.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Neighbor kid hopefully gets out of the hospital today in time to attend graduation. Heel was cut down to the bone & needed surgery..

MJ, I think it was last year's NYC race, but they did not get the benefit of cooler temps. I find the MD and similar areas of the east coast basically a crapshoot for race weather. I find spring races easier to train for because I cannot tolerate longer runs in heat.  When I've done races in Atlantic City or looked at others that are along the Atlanitc Ocean, those have a better chance of cooler temps longer into the spring due to the ocean temps. The trade off (and Fred can confirm this) is the wind. It's not uncommon in late spring for it to be 10-20 degrees cooler at the beach vs just a few miles inland.

Fred, for NYC, is the transportation to the start included or do you have to pay for that on your own?

Half Crazy K 2.0

Fred, nice job with the park run. I've done a number of races on the NCR trail, which is crushed limestone. I find my Wave Riders are fine. I would think if you have a daily trainer type shoe, it would work well. Trail shoes may be too much--just thinking the ones I have have fairly aggressivee tread, which feels a bit unstable on flat roads (I've wprn them running to the trails).

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred, for NYC, is the transportation to the start included or do you have to pay for that on your own?

The race offers transportation via busses that leave from two points.  There's also the option of taking the Staten Island Ferry and getting a bus from there to the runners' village.  Last time, my wife dropped me off at the NJ bussing site, which was outside the stadium in the East Rutherford Swamp (rebranded as the "Meadowlands" when they first built the race track, Giants Stadium, and the Byrne Arena there).  So while you need to get yourself to one of the transportation sites, once there travel to the starting area is provided.  You can also try to drive to the site on Staten Island (or get a ride), but that seemed to me to have too much risk of getting stuck in traffic.

ETA:  The other bussing site, and the ferry, are both in Manhattan, and thus easily accessed via mass transit within the city or from surrounding suburbs.  The NYRR offer an interesting choice:  you can check a bag at the starting village and they'll truck it to the finish line, or you can forgo bag check and instead be given a fleece-lined, windbreaker poncho at the finish line.  I opted for the poncho - it's really nice for keeping warm until race time on colder days (provided you have someone to hand it off to before the start).  I bought some cheap sweatpants & shirt and threw them into the donation bins provided when it was time to line up.

Resident Historian

I will probably look for a flat course here in Europe. I might also be over in the US around the NYC race time - but then I would have to buy someone else's bib, or do they check ID's now? I am sure they do, as they did in Boston.

Mick: I have an entry for (sold-out) Valencia Dec. 3; I can't run (see posts on other thread).

If that's flat and fast enough for you I can transfer my "ticket".

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Mick - some fall marathons other than NYC in the general vicinity (i.e. 2-3 hours' drive from NY) include the Atlantic City Marathon on October 22 and the Philadelphia Marathon on November 19.  I've run the half in AC and it's a pretty flat course, though even in October you can get some hot days.  Philly was the first marathon I ever ran and it has some hills, but by mid-November you probably won't have to worry about it being too warm.