I think I'll try taking David goggins advice (Read 196 times)

not one really for the supposed "gurus"  but I saw a tiktok the other day where he was all manic and yelling shit like "excuses? fuck em! that pain in your left foot? fuck it stay hard!" so I think he's saying keep training even past the point of injury (?) Ok, yeah I can do that. Lemme just get doped up on CBD then I won't even feel it when I bust my kneecaps open.

Man I wish I'd stayed running consistently all these years. Kinda makes me depressed but I'm not sure I would have been competitive even if I'd wanted to be. but I'm only 28. that said I'm sure I'll never be "athletic" again I'm 5'7" sub 130 but that in no way means I'm in great shape. I used to run a lot with ease as a wee lad, then I did a lot of blue collar shit got depressed got lazy smoked weed fucked my lungs  etc etc etc.

Then again maybe those are just excuses. David goggins the definitive sigma male would be ashamed of me

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

mmerkle

I don't think he meant train through injury. I think he meant that people use pain/discomfort as an excuse. Also, 28 is young and you're clearly not overweight. I don't see why you can't become "athletic again". I'm positive you can. And I'm just curious, do you have evidence that smoking weed messed up your lungs making you a worse runner? I'm a regular user and I am in the 17s for 5k. Same age as you and nearly the same height and weight.

I don't think he meant train through injury. I think he meant that people use pain/discomfort as an excuse. Also, 28 is young and you're clearly not overweight. I don't see why you can't become "athletic again". I'm positive you can. And I'm just curious, do you have evidence that smoking weed messed up your lungs making you a worse runner? I'm a regular user and I am in the 17s for 5k. Same age as you and nearly the same height and weight.

I don't think weed is incompatible at all with it per SE, I've used it to help get in the zone or numb pain sometimes and I think if I was running faster or higher volume like I used to I'd be more at ease about it. So it's possible it doesn't have anything to do with lung damage and the obvious answer for the reason I'm a jogger now is lack of consistent training. I mean for awhile there I'd be happy if I could get out the door and do 5 miles after work instead of being a couch ornament, it's only now I'm remembering all the fundamentals you know, listen to the body and obviously just starting over again I'll have to gradually build base and just shake the kinks out and focus on sustainability without injury.

Basically I liked running, then put on a bunch of muscle doing various construction gigs and then some chub being lazy and depressed and forgot I liked running lol. The irony being excess muscle mass makes you a slower runner.  But thanks for the encouragement man gonna make some good changes for sure. Might as well, almost to the freakin new yr anyways

mmerkle

Sounds like you know what you're doing, just gotta do it. If you gradually build muscle mass while running consistently then it shouldn't slow you down the way it does if you bulk up and then start running again after a break. Hope it all goes well for you!

Sounds like you know what you're doing, just gotta do it. If you gradually build muscle mass while running consistently then it shouldn't slow you down the way it does if you bulk up and then start running again after a break. Hope it all goes well for you!

Thanks man you too. Yup i put on some heft doing pole barns and the like all summer and then of course subsequent veryyyy beginnings of a lil belly as already muscular men will tend to store fat in the abdominal area but not unworkable.  Still, at our size we know our better bet is to be able to flight than fight. Thus I must continue my training regime for the event I have to outrun some goons in da hood. Or for a HM(M?) in the spring who knows. It doesn't seem to matter the goal as long as u do the thing now does it?? I mean I'm not shitting myself I'm no goggins but it sure beats sitting around hopescrolling.

DoppleBock

** I'm only 28. that said I'm sure I'll never be "athletic" again I'm 5'7" sub 130 **

I started running at 34 and weighed 292 - So I find the above statement very funny!

The only thing keeping you from being athletic again is -----> you !  If you make being athletic a priority in your life you will be successful.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

** I'm only 28. that said I'm sure I'll never be "athletic" again I'm 5'7" sub 130 **

I started running at 34 and weighed 292 - So I find the above statement very funny!

The only thing keeping you from being athletic again is -----> you !  If you make being athletic a priority in your life you will be successful.

Thanks for the love man ur absolutely right. And that's commendable of you to get started at a point I think most people would just give up, actually I think goggins story was similar. Yeah I remember in the past when I was running smooth and feeling good it was the best feeling in the world. Helped with teenage depression then, will prob help with adult depression now lol. I just like feeling good, inside and out and I guess after some neglect and bad habits I def don't take health for granted

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you are having trouble with consistency, look into whether or not there is a parkrun where you live. It's a free, timed 5k every Saturday morning; you only need to register for a barcode once and you are set. It would give you something to show up for each week or a couple pf times a month or whatever you decide. There are walkers and runners of all speeds and ages. You won't be out of place.

If you want to run, lace up the shoes and go. There are no shortcuts. The best time to be consistent was when you were running regularly before, but the second best time is now. I just got home from parkrun and there are athletic and competitive runners at ours from age 17 to about 65. If you want to run, then run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

rlopez

Don't listen to David Goggins about practically anything. In addition to being an asshole in real life, he has a physiological pain block that most folks don't have. So all his stay hard crap bounces... and should... because he's never walked a mile in any normal person's shoes.

He's like a hall of fame baseball player who tries to coach junior high and doesn't realize how much of his life doesn't translate. (Ted Williams was a top 5 all timer. He was also the first manager of the Texas Rangers and a famous flop because it turns out, he was only great at being great himself)

Don't listen to David Goggins about practically anything. In addition to being an asshole in real life, he has a physiological pain block that most folks don't have. So all his stay hard crap bounces... and should... because he's never walked a mile in any normal person's shoes.

He's like a hall of fame baseball player who tries to coach junior high and doesn't realize how much of his life doesn't translate. (Ted Williams was a top 5 all timer. He was also the first manager of the Texas Rangers and a famous flop because it turns out, he was only great at being great himself)

David goggins at one point was called fat and weak willed and insignificant and felt fat fat and weak willed and insignificant and for the rest of his life no matter how much stay hard shit he does he still sees a fat man when he looks in the mirror. It's pathological at his point. I know this because in a way I relate to it although I never became as overweight as he did. I was always kind of an ugly dorky kid and an outsider and wasn't a jock and the girls weren't exactly lining up (still basically a virgin at 28) and I didn't finish 4 yr college yet or anything. So I been struggling with feelings of depression myself but figured to start off the new yr I wanna make fitness and health a priority again cuz my biological clock says you're only young once. Anything to fight the blues or seasonal affective disorder before you say aight doc I need pills. But of course that's just my hot take.

I'll give you it tho I have no doubt goggins is an asshole in real life, I mean it's not possible to stay hard without becoming an asshole I don't think. Guess I'll always be soft and weak.

after college track, I basically didn't workout/ start training again until 35.

I wish I never let myself get out of shape because 5-6years later....I'm still at it, trying to improve....

27 is better than 35 to get back at it.

and 50 is better than 60 to get at it, but regardless, get back at it!

I'll watch some of  David Goggins stuff from time to time, mostly as entertainment.... I rarely feel like I gain wisdom/knowledge from him but occasionally he says something I like, he can be entertaining tho.

good luck!

300m- 37 sec.

C-R

Yeah. I just finished his book "Never Enough" Man o man.

One thing I would agree with is that he trains most of the time in HR zone 2 (easy running). That one is legit for building stamina without injury for normal people.

It was an interesting audiobook.

Goggins ain't normal so he seemed to always be dealing with some type of injury.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

after college track, I basically didn't workout/ start training again until 35.

I wish I never let myself get out of shape because 5-6years later....I'm still at it, trying to improve....

27 is better than 35 to get back at it.

and 50 is better than 60 to get at it, but regardless, get back at it!

I'll watch some of  David Goggins stuff from time to time, mostly as entertainment.... I rarely feel like I gain wisdom/knowledge from him but occasionally he says something I like, he can be entertaining tho.

good luck!

Thanks man

Yeah I'll give you it that he is a little over the top and seems to tilt at windmills. In a lot of his videos he has imaginary conversations with people who aren't there, like I saw one where he was addressing supposed haters who he said "hoped I would never run again" after some injury he got and then he was like "FUCK YOU!!!"...lol. And yet in a way I identify. I was a misfit loner young adult and have become a loner adult and the go to these days for my haters is just to straight up call me a loooooooozer. So I have a rage against the machine complex myself even tho I know it's unhealthy to take the mindset that it's you against the world. Now I'm starting to see my inner purification will come from doing hard things in spite of those who said I wouldn't.

I'm not a military vet or whatever as badass like him tho I'm just a dude who never finished college and currently works as a drywaller framer carpenter general laborer drone and at the same time I think I came to the conclusion life is suffering and all you can do is be as strong as you can so you can rise to the occasion for each of life's tests.

Also I was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was in the hospital for 10 days (bye bye any fitness progress I was just starting to get back). The pills are the worst, since after all they are drugs and I also tried drugs, but there are so many other ways to fight depression and seasonal affective disorder and shit and I wanna get fit again so at least lack of a healthy bod ain't one of the reasons I got the blues.

Maybe I can run my first ever full marathon in may if I really really stay consistent. Obviously the older you get the consistency is key. I can dream.

Sorry for the novel. But that's my context for all this crap

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

You are 28!

"Athletes in sports requiring speed and power tend to peak by their mid-20s, those in endurance sports peak by their 40s, while those in tactical, low impact sports can still compete at elite level in their 50s (Gillan 2018; Longo et al. 2016)."

Distance running is an endurance sport. Time is on your side.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Running Problem

Problem Child

David goggins at one point was called fat and weak willed and insignificant and felt fat fat and weak willed and insignificant and for the rest of his life no matter how much stay hard shit he does he still sees a fat man when he looks in the mirror. It's pathological at his point. I know this because in a way I relate to it although I never became as overweight as he did. I was always kind of an ugly dorky kid and an outsider and wasn't a jock and the girls weren't exactly lining up (still basically a virgin at 28) and I didn't finish 4 yr college yet or anything. So I been struggling with feelings of depression myself but figured to start off the new yr I wanna make fitness and health a priority again cuz my biological clock says you're only young once. Anything to fight the blues or seasonal affective disorder before you say aight doc I need pills. But of course that's just my hot take.

I'll give you it tho I have no doubt goggins is an asshole in real life, I mean it's not possible to stay hard without becoming an asshole I don't think. Guess I'll always be soft and weak.

Just remember you don’t have to impress anyone but yourself and the only person you have to please is yourself. It’s something I’ve taken from Dave. If you feel like you’ve accomplished something big it means your goal needs to be bigger.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22