If you are passing someone in a race - should you say something or not? (Read 1608 times)

Man in Tights

Just keep my mouth shut. I don't even look back. It's best that way.
      We're so friendly that even our comments about how friendly and non-competitive ultrarunners are don't come off as condescending even though we really think that road racers are immature and petulant jerks who can't appreciate the camaraderie we feel when moaning "Ghoold Joab, brotha" as we stagger, heaving and marching on, unwilling to bear the shame of a DNF and motivated into relentless forward motion by petty thoughts of the wonder that lights up in friend's and colleagues's eyes when we say, "Yes, farther than a marathon."
      you are my RA hero
      For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
        I usually say: "You suck, Tanya." Which is really weird if their name isn't happens to be Tanya. MTA: some of that grammar stuff.
        Coincidence or GETM?
        And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

A Saucy Wench

OK, so here is a situation coming up for me soon. I am running a 10K in a few weeks that is in conjunction with a 50K and 50 mile ultra. We start at 10 am, the ultras can start anywhere between 6 and 8 am. So I will be passing people (I hope - twould be sad if I did not) who will be 2-5 hours in to their ultra. I would assume that since I am in a much shorter race, it would not be patronizing to give a few words of "rah rah" as I pass?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

well since they are ultrarunners they probably would look down on you if they found out you were a 10k runner, so i would just try to fake it like you were doing the 50k and were some elite ultrarunner and then you could be part of their "camraderie".
            For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

Think Whirled Peas

OK, so here is a situation coming up for me soon. I am running a 10K in a few weeks that is in conjunction with a 50K and 50 mile ultra. We start at 10 am, the ultras can start anywhere between 6 and 8 am. So I will be passing people (I hope - twould be sad if I did not) who will be 2-5 hours in to their ultra. I would assume that since I am in a much shorter race, it would not be patronizing to give a few words of "rah rah" as I pass?
              Hey, now. I would expect you to be redlining...no words should be possible when dancing on that redline! Wink

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

casualrunner

For what it's worth: I am very slow and don't really care - I suspect most people near me are in the same boat, we know we're slow. I would not mind someone giving a friendly "hang in there" or "almost done", but would not really welcome any suggestions about pace.
                  Ennay, say "I'm just a weenie 10K runner...sorry...don't spit on me"

A Saucy Wench

Ennay, say "I'm just a weenie 10K runner...sorry...don't spit on me"
                    I like it! Of course with the gasping for air I'll have to do between words It will probably come out "weenie...spit...on ....me"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Scout7

It's a race, not a tea party. Save the color commentary for when you cross the finish line.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I think the back of the pack marathon is the only time I've ever or would ever say something. These people are just holding on for dear life and a "stay strong" or "hang in there" can make a difference. If it pisses them off, that's just not something I care about. After all, I'm passing them, they're struggling and if they wanted to do me bodily harm, they'd have to catch me first and if the could do that I wouldn't be passing them. Big grin

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I haven't had passers comment but I've passed people and I get cheered on! I love that, it gives me even more motivation! But I'm a 10mm so no way am I upfront with the contenders! I'm usually somewhere in the middle and I got run/walkers and walkers around me and my fellow 9-12mm runners which for the most part are all newbies and all very encouraging IMHO. I also love shouting out to give support as someone passes me!
                          -Jen
                          2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

Sometimes I do, most times I don't. It depends on the circumstances. Out and back races are the most likely times that I might say something, but only to a far better or far lesser runner. Someone of my level who I might be competing against, I wouldn't say anything encouraging, but I might talk with them if we happen to be running the same pace, but only if it fits into my "race" pace. I talked to one person on a 5 mile race this year at mile 3 for about 1/4 mile. He pulled off to the side at one point and said "I'll catch up". I said to myself, "Like hell you will!" and he didn't. It was very motivating. I actually thought about him in the next race and pretended he was there chasing me.
                            Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                            DoppleBock

I did not read the whole thread, but I think it depends on the type of race and the people. In ultras, I have come up to people, chatted with them for 15 minutes to half and hour and then kept going. In ultras I have also asked if I could pass (Single track) - Neither of these was patronizing. In marathons, I have pulled along side many times as tried to strike up just enough of a conversation to see if we could work the race course together, people usually fall into 3 categories: 1) Ignore you or make it clear to leave them alone - this is just fine. 2) They are over their head and I do not want to be part of driving them into the ground or 3) We have similar goals and are running a similar speed and match up well. Of course the deal only lasts until someone is ready to pull away. I am typically a 2:45 - 3:00 marathoner depending on my fitness, so I am not looking to talk more than a few dozen words at the initial meeting and then maybe a "How are you feeling" every few miles. In shorter races - 10 mile and under ... common practice around here is for the person being passed to say "nice job" the the passer and the passer says "thanks" The only time I would initiate if I was passing is if I knew them.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Why would untra runners look down on a 10k runner?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !