Pixelmator (Read 1393 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Anybody use this?  Thoughts?

xor

I prefer my tomators to be real. And large. But not too large.

Dave

I've owned it and used it for a few years. 

Good value for the money, especially if you don't want to spring for Photoshop.  It has some limitations but it does most things pretty well.

Alternatively you can use "The Gimp" which is open source and free.  Learning curve on the Gimp is a little more difficult and the app isn't as attractive. 

It doesn't come close to some of the new editing tools in Photoshop CS5(?) but it also costs 1/10th as much.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

#artbydmcbride

I prefer my tomators to be real. And large. But not too large.

I've got some!

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Learning curve on the Gimp is a little more difficult

Yes, I found this to be the case.  In fact, yours is an understatement.

jpdeaux

Dave

Yes, I found this to be the case.  In fact, yours is an understatement.

I believe that any of these powerful photo manipulation tools have a fairly challenging learning curve. 

If you make them powerful enough, they get hard to use.  If you make them easy to use, they tend to not be terribly capable or flexible.

Pick your poison. 

Pixelmator is a pretty good middle ground.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Alternatively you can use "The Gimp" which is open source and free.  Learning curve on the Gimp is a little more difficult and the app isn't as attractive. 

Another reasonable open source and free option for windows is Paint.Net. It does not have all the power of The Gimp, but it's user interface is more like a "normal" windows program.

Running - cheaper than therapy

325th place or bust!

How is Pixelmator compared to something like IrfanView (a Windows tool)?  IrfanView is probably the one tool that has kept me from going completely to the mac.  It's fast and very good at picture editing, including a batch mode where you can shrink a whole folder of images.  It's free, too!

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

True dat.  However, GIMP documentation is either way too basic or way to advanced.

Dave

How is Pixelmator compared to something like IrfanView (a Windows tool)?  IrfanView is probably the one tool that has kept me from going completely to the mac.  It's fast and very good at picture editing, including a batch mode where you can shrink a whole folder of images.  It's free, too!

At first glance, I'd say they address different needs.  Irfanview looks like a very batch capable image editor/converter.  Not a whole lot of advanced filters, layers, etc.  Does some files other than just images.

Pixelmator is pretty much a mouse only app.  Increasingly capable photo editor.  Includes layers, filters, all the basic editing stuff.  Can resize and save in different formats.  Images only.  Beautiful interface.  Really leverages the standard apple "Quartz" libraries to make stuff process fast.

With all these tools, I find that some of the online tutorial videos (some on Youtube) provide the best documentation of all.  Every time I watch one, I realize what a noob I am with the tool and how little of it's real capability I can leverage.

That and I'm not gifted in creative stuff.  I realize that too.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Lazy idiot

With all these tools, I find that some of the online tutorial videos (some on Youtube) provide the best documentation of all.  Every time I watch one, I realize what a noob I am with the tool and how little of it's real capability I can leverage.

Rolf is a great resource for GIMP.

Tick tock

Dave

dgb2n@yahoo.com

keeponrunning

Rolf is a great resource for GIMP.

I like this, but am too lazy to search the site.  May be a dumb question, but here it goes.  Is there a way to change the focus of a picture?  For example, I have one pic where I got a really good bird shot, but the branches seem to be the focus (it was a quick snap, no time to adjust camera for it).  Is there a way to make the bird stand out?  The bird isn't distinctly different in colour from the branches, except a little yellow on his front.  

MTA: increasing contrast makes it worse.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

drrbradford

Personally, between GIMP and Inkscape I can do most of the stuff I need but I tend not to work with photographs all that often. Inkscape is my favourite as it can handle Encapsulated PS (which I have to use regularly for posters and reports) without converting, and thereby losing the important scalable quality of .eps, it like a lot of other programmes tend to.