Do you take salt tablets on the run? (Read 3474 times)

mevi

Okay, I'm a preschool teacher,can you explain POTS in English please. All that doctor talk just confused me! If you could explain with a really cute craft that would be even better.

Go Pre!

Okay, I'm a preschool teacher,can you explain POTS in English please. All that doctor talk just confused me! If you could explain with a really cute craft that would be even better.
      POTS, loosely translates to: Perfect godly Scout Opts to not believe That he may be wrong Sometimes
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

POTS, loosely translates to: Perfect godly Scout Opts to not believe That he may be wrong Sometimes
        I wouldn't go that far to say Scout maybe wrong because no one knows the exact cause of muscle cramps. His links provided some interesting arguments against the electrolyte and cramping relationship, especially the example about professional muscians and cramps. All I'm saying in my case is that salt intake seems to delay my cramps during marathons.
        Scout7

I wouldn't go that far to say Scout maybe wrong because no one knows the exact cause of muscle cramps. His links provided some interesting arguments against the electrolyte and cramping relationship, especially the example about professional muscians and cramps. All I'm saying in my case is that salt intake seems to delay my cramps during marathons.
          Correlation does not always equal causation.

jules2

I'm English so I don't sweat I perspire. Just finished a run the other week and a dog licked my leg because it was salty, god I wished I'd married that dog instead of Mrs Jules the felling of its tongue on my leg was just so erotic.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

mevi

Does everyone need a time out?
              xor

Where I grew up, POTS means Plain Old Telephone System. Time in!

Doobry

um, how'd you get picture's and shit to manifest within the post?

Religion is just a contest to see who's got the best imaginary friend.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

POTS is a syndrome wherein your normal blood volume is actually inadequate, possibly due to a problem with your autonomic (i.e., fight or flight reaction) nervous system, which may itself be dues to or cause increased sodium excretion in the sweat. As a result, when exerting and sweating, folks with POTS tend to become lightheaded, weak, have high heart rates, pass out and maybe cramp. One treatment is to increase salt intake.
                    xor

um, how'd you get picture's and shit to manifest within the post?
                      You've used the proper IMG tag, but it only works with things that are specifically *and only* pictures. The thing you've pointed at ("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TimeOut.jpg") is an odd URL that actually pulls up a full webpage, not just the graphic. The actual graphic on that page is really called "http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/TimeOut.jpg". Having said that, if a site wants to, it can block people from linking their images. Many times, you'll find a picture, try to post it, and either get a red-x or a "don't link our images" picture instead of what you want.

Doobry

Ta Stevie Ray Smile

Religion is just a contest to see who's got the best imaginary friend.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Correlation does not always equal causation.
                          True, but until we know the cause of the problem, I only have causation to go with. Maybe cramps have multiple causes instead of a grand unifying theory.
                          mevi

Thank you Trent. Smile

A Saucy Wench

I'm English so I don't sweat I perspire..
                              I'm a lady, so I neither sweat nor perspire, I glow. (That is what you call it when you turn bright red right? - Like rudolph's nose glows)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

POTS is a syndrome wherein your normal blood volume is actually inadequate, possibly due to a problem with your autonomic (i.e., fight or flight reaction) nervous system, which may itself be dues to or cause increased sodium excretion in the sweat. As a result, when exerting and sweating, folks with POTS tend to become lightheaded, weak, have high heart rates, pass out and maybe cramp. One treatment is to increase salt intake.
                                Trent, what causes charley horses in the middle of the night? It may be the most godawful way to be woken from a deep sleep. What I had on race day felt just like that, only with multiple muscles at once.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay